Economic Theories

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Ax, you are definitely right. My thesis was on Asian countries. In Africa, the biggest problem is land ownership which is often overlooked since most people focus on political instability and aids.

To add to what Jnyusa have said, for export crops is a huge problem, this is not something new as well it's been like this since the 18th century when the English turned the Carribean Islands into cotton plantations. It's just that these for export crops are not being shipped to places in Europe and North America. The foriegn nationals are actually in the third world country manufacturing it's raw materials. In places like Brazil and Argentina, they would rather have huge grazing lands for cattle (beef export) than farmlands. Once the cattle has stomped and eaten the nutrients off the land it's useless already so they move on and find another fertile land to graze. I think those people who say increase in population ties in with food of shortage, well, think again, greed is the cause of food shortages all over the world.
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

I have regarded economics as a branch of magic rather than science. Jny is of course a good magician but there are plenty of bad magicians out there.