What are you reading?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Inanna »

Switch off the WiFi on your kindle; you can then finish the book.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

And I agree with you re Sanderson. I could not describe/diagnose it as you just did, it just wasn’t as pleasurable as good writing is.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It was an audiobook on my phone. It's interminable. Not boring, just very long, and what I was really trying to say is that it offers no insights.

Meanwhile, I finished Broken Homes on Kindle, #4 in Rivers of London, which continues to be very good, in a "magic young Vimes in modern London" way.

I was briefly disappointed when he made a Russian character a member of the fictional Night Witches, but used a Russian word for sorceress rather than witch. But! The afterword explains that he did it on purpose, to distinguish from the real Night Witches, the WWII all-women squadron who flew crop hopper planes on night bombing missions. Gotta respect a writer who does his research.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

As some of us here may be aware, there is a writer who used to frequent these boards who has written a screen play about the Night Witches. It would be nice to see that made into a film (as they hope). I'm trying to recall the moniker they used.. Lidless or The Lidless Eye?
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Never heard of him.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Lidless? Of course!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

We met them at the Chicago m00t in 2008, along with estel, their spouse. We also met narya, tinwë, vison, axordil & spouse, Angbasdil, Luthy, Elfy/elf-maiden, Truehobbit, and a few others. The Night Witches screenplay has won quite a few awards and there were talks about making it into a film but so far nothing. I believe I have the screenplay somewhere on my computer.
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

I was joking (in case that wasn't clear).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:59 pm I was joking (in case that wasn't clear).
Oh.. * sheepish grin *
Voronwë the Faithful

Lidless and I have a lot of history.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Gotcha. They can be provocative. I'll just move along... :whistle:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I didn't know Lidless had any interest in the WWII history. Anyway, there was a movie. The director was one of the officers.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I would imagine there are countless movies that cover the same subject. Sometimes a different version covers another angle that makes it appealing. (oops, almost typed 'appalling') :oops: :whistle:
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:41 pm Never heard of him.
In the honourable tradition of....Who?
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful

Exactly!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:17 pm I would imagine there are countless movies that cover the same subject. Sometimes a different version covers another angle that makes it appealing. (oops, almost typed 'appalling') :oops: :whistle:
Appalling may be appropriate. :P

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Y'all really have me wondering what the heck Lidless did here...
Voronwë the Faithful

I didn't think that Frelga was necessarily commenting on Lidless with that post (though obviously she can speak for herself). And Lidless never posted very much here, and certainly didn't do anything particularly horrible. Our history goes back further than that. And I didn't say that it was necessarily bad history.

At least not all bad.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:rofl:
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Inanna wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:14 pm And I agree with you re Sanderson. I could not describe/diagnose it as you just did, it just wasn’t as pleasurable as good writing is.
My main issue with Sanderson (Stormlight) was the dialog--very modern to the point that it reads almost like the characters are texting to each other. And their witty remarks aren't nearly as witty as they and the author seem to think.

And while I like long stories and am not one to insist that every paragraph do something to advance the plot, I just don't think the books are good enough to justify their extreme pagecounts.

But again, that said, I read all 4 of the 1200-page volumes back to back over the last several months, and that fact alone probably outweighs anything else I might say.