Asimov's "Foundation" coming to TV

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Asimov's "Foundation" coming to TV

Post by Alatar »

I thought this was mentioned before but a quick search couldn't find it!

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/08/ ... oundation/
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Re: Asimov's "Foundation" coming to TV

Post by Smaug's voice »

i'm stoked for this! I love the books. Why hasn't this gotten any replies yet?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

No idea! But it has now :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Because I wasn't posting when it was posted. ;)

We did have a discussion about this when the news first came out. To say that I am excited about the possibilities would definitely be a major understatement!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't remember ever seeing this post.
Foundation takes place over more than a thousand years, and the story tracks a group of exiles who are fighting against the Galactic Empire in order to save it.
That's not how I remember the plot...
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I haven't read Foundation in decades, though it's on my TBRR (to be reread) pile. So I really don't remember the plot or anything except that the characters I liked best weren't in the first book.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I confess, the teenage me was a great deal more impressed by Asimov than the adult me.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I never did get into Asimov's books much. I know I read the Foundation series, but I couldn't tell you a thing about it. Well, the name "Harry Seldon" pops into mind, but no other information.
Voronwë the Faithful

Hari.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, Hari.

I read them all, more than once, but it was many years ago. The editions on my shelf were printed in 1972. I know I've read them much later than that, but I can't remember when. I will definitely want to revisit them before this television version appears.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Don't do it!!!!! Revisit AFTER the TV series!

Or not. ymmv

I'm always hypercritical of movies if I've read the book recently just beforehand.
Voronwë the Faithful

I wonder if it will cover only the original trilogy, or the full seven book series. The two prequels, Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation give a lot of background that changes how to look at the first book, and the two sequels, Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth bring in a lot of information from the Robot series, as well as the Empire series. That would be an awful lot to cover, even in a long running TV series.

And for the record, I'm more impressed with Asimov now than I was as a teenager.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

V, I'm still fond of the Robot series, but I suspect it's mostly out of nostalgia. The adult me is a lot less likely to enjoy authors despite failing grades in "making female characters appear human, seriously, have you even met a woman before?", "extrapolating the effects of technological advances on social structures," and "spotting obvious applications of technology you just described to that other plot point." The adult me demands better.

Speaking of which, I want to see CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series on screen, now that it's possible to do justice to the atevi.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Oh, me, too. I haven't read them all—I bounced off Cherryh for years, no idea why—but I'm enjoying them now. Fortunately I stubbornly kept buying them, as if I knew I would someday come around.

I do have the same problem with some (many) of the old Grand Masters of SF. When I was very young I loved them for the Sense of Wonder. As I aged (and started writing my own stories, and started reading lots of SF by women and by more culturally sensitive people of all sorts), I started having problems with some beloved old favorites—Clarke, Heinlein, and Asimov among them. Their did not include women—or if there were one or two, they didn't resemble any real women I knew.

I do fondly remember the young girl in Foundation, who seemed real to me when I was a young girl; that was a new thing to me. I hope it will hold up.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Apparently its being filmed in the local studio here in Limerick. I've applied for Extra work. :)
Voronwë the Faithful

Wow! Keep us (me) updated.

I do hope they do a good job with this! I'm still wondering what it will cover.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Just started reading the first Foundation book last week. Had never read em before but really liking it so far! The idea of a series is very intriguing because this first book at least is more like a little anthology collection than a typical novel. If they go that route it could be really cool.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

When you say "the first Foundation book" do you refer to the first one written, or the first one in chronological sequence? (I'm guessing the latter, which I think would be proper.)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I guess I don't really know but I assume the first one written. It's the one just called Foundation.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, that is the first one written, although my understanding is that all of the original trilogy was written together, and were originally published as a series of long short stories, which fits with your comment.

I'm glad you are enjoying it!