Lord of the Rings Online going Free to Play!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Lord of the Rings Online going Free to Play!

Post by Inanna »

I’m in. SQUEEE. Some restarts fixed the errors.

I was even able to use the same name.
Mohewyn, woman of Rohan, Lore-Master, at your service.

Oh, you guys rock. Thank you.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: Lord of the Rings Online going Free to Play!

Post by Jude »

As for me, it's downloading slooooowly. It's gonna be a while...
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

So once I’m in if I Try and switch to anything else, say, check my mail it crashes immediately with direct3x warnings etc. but I completed 2-3 of the original quests.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Is it realistic to stick to 30 minute sessions? The reason I don't game is that I find it hard to self-limit on absorbing activities. But if the group sets the time limit, that might work for me.

Also, my Win10 laptop is a 5yo, cheap model, and runs on firewood. Is it even worth trying?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:17 pm Is it realistic to stick to 30 minute sessions? The reason I don't game is that I find it hard to self-limit on absorbing activities. But if the group sets the time limit, that might work for me.

Also, my Win10 laptop is a 5yo, cheap model, and runs on firewood. Is it even worth trying?
I'd say yes, it's still going to be better than the XP laptops that came out 15 years ago which ran the game...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I agree with elengil - that’s what I used to play on. You can just set the graphic resolution to less.

And yes, we (R and I) stopped playing for the same reason. I was pretty sure I would not make tenure if I Continued. ;). But with us limiting time, it could work.

It doesn’t *have* to be 30 mins. That was just a number I threw out for some level of minimal play.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

So how will We coordinate this?

We can chat on the World channel in LOTRO?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I'm still downloading it - 64% done.

I wonder if my internet is too slow to play it?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That is insanely long. :(
elengil

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:24 am I'm still downloading it - 64% done.

I wonder if my internet is too slow to play it?
I guarantee it isn't.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yeah, if I could play it 10 years ago on crappy internet and crappy laptop...
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Maybe they beefed it up since to take advantage of new hardware?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Possible. Did you download it?
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:30 am Maybe they beefed it up since to take advantage of new hardware?
Nah, I'm still on crappy internet. I mean, there's some lag, but it's not insurmountable.
was a 2020 planner.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

After all that downloading, I get an error when I try to open it. Sigh.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:59 pm After all that downloading, I get an error when I try to open it. Sigh.
Yeah, it doesn't really like windows 10, depending on the error there are various fixes, but sometimes just some restarts is enough.
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Jude, I restarted desktop, and then it opened.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Motivation:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

elengil wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:33 pm
Jude wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:59 pm After all that downloading, I get an error when I try to open it. Sigh.
Yeah, it doesn't really like windows 10, depending on the error there are various fixes, but sometimes just some restarts is enough.
What does it like? Because I love you, guys, but I am not paying Apple prices just to play a game. pets old trusty laptop that was $250 in 2016 and also has touch screen

elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:05 pm What does it like? Because I love you, guys, but I am not paying Apple prices just to play a game. pets old trusty laptop that was $250 in 2016 and also has touch screen
What I meant was it has some problems with 10 initially but they're all resolvable. I use Windows 10 to play, don't worry, it just might throw some errors at first (as has happened to myself, Inanna, and now Jude.)

It more has a little tantrum than refuses to work.
was a 2020 planner.