Lord of the Rings Online going Free to Play!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Lord of the Rings Online going Free to Play!

Post by Inanna »

https://signup.lotro.com/lotro.php?ftui ... lang=en-US
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Sorry, your link doesn't work for me :(
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

narya wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:51 am Sorry, your link doesn't work for me :(
Do you need to maybe clear your browser cache? The page loads on my end, too...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

Firefox just gave a blank page. Edge (which I never use) gave the same error message.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
elengil

Post by elengil »

narya wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:18 am Firefox just gave a blank page. Edge (which I never use) gave the same error message.
I'm sorry it isn't working for you. :(
Blah. This is where I really wish I had a bit better understanding of computers.

A while back I was unable to log into my online bank account from my home computer, but I could from work. The home computer tries made it seem like it was the website that was unavailable, but I could log in just fine from a different computer. It was very frustrating, and I don't remember exactly what the fix was now, I was thinking it was browser cache but I could be mis-remembering because, as noted earlier, I don't always have the best understanding of computers.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I tried to do the introductory quests. I got stuck on where I had to warn three people about an upcoming invasion. I warned two of them, and then spent far too much time wandering around trying to find the third one. Finally I decided to do an internet search to see if anyone had posted the location of the third person. The moment I switched to another window, the game crashed.

The next time I tried it, I found the third person and was able to proceed. Then I got stuck when I was instructed to go to a certain person to train as an apprentice. I found him but apparently I had no learnable skills and was unable to proceed.

The whole thing seemed kind of pointless, really. I hope the rest of the game is better than that.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, the sign-up script worked for me, and I downloaded the game. I haven't installed it. I am still not sure if I can keep it to a reasonable amount of time once I start.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Jude wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:55 pm I tried to do the introductory quests. I got stuck on where I had to warn three people about an upcoming invasion. I warned two of them, and then spent far too much time wandering around trying to find the third one. Finally I decided to do an internet search to see if anyone had posted the location of the third person. The moment I switched to another window, the game crashed.

The next time I tried it, I found the third person and was able to proceed. Then I got stuck when I was instructed to go to a certain person to train as an apprentice. I found him but apparently I had no learnable skills and was unable to proceed.

The whole thing seemed kind of pointless, really. I hope the rest of the game is better than that.
I would be happy to create a new character and join you in that Introductory Quest area. That's how it would have to be? Right, elengil?

Its a lot more fun when you have company - no surprise there. I really have no interest in playing without elengil.
To give you an example, when we got close to the Brandywine river, elengil took me a bit aside, and showed me the lovely valley on the parapet of the Bridge. Ooh, and we had fun killing wolves in the old forest....
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:00 pm Well, the sign-up script worked for me, and I downloaded the game. I haven't installed it. I am still not sure if I can keep it to a reasonable amount of time once I start.
I think you will be surprised. It's really not that addictive. I think I had nothing going on in my life the last time. ;)
And when one or the other friend needs to sign off... good exit point.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:19 pm
Jude wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:55 pm I tried to do the introductory quests. I got stuck on where I had to warn three people about an upcoming invasion. I warned two of them, and then spent far too much time wandering around trying to find the third one. Finally I decided to do an internet search to see if anyone had posted the location of the third person. The moment I switched to another window, the game crashed.

I would be happy to create a new character and join you in that Introductory Quest area. That's how it would have to be? Right, elengil?
Exactly! Would be happy to make a new character so we could walk you through from the very beginning!

I've had the 'game crash when I switch windows' problem, and it seems to self-resolve after a few times, or perhaps when I restart (I've never paid close enough attention), though it is quite frustrating when it does happen.
was a 2020 planner.

narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

Hey! Today it downloaded! I guess perhaps it didn't like my name, or my password. I changed both, and now it works! I'm Laureannanarya, which oddly enough, hadn't been taken yet.

I downloaded the manual and will take a look, as soon as I'm done with the webinar I'm currently watching. It's on co-dependency. Now they are talking about co-dependency and the workplace, and being always the one giving while others are taking. Not me, nope.... :whistle:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Woot!!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

How's it going, narya?

elengil: help! I'm in the Old Forest and need to find old man willow and do things. And I died in the required solo instance just before getting this quest. And it was suggested that "I find friends" in this quest to do it! Better to do it together!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Ok!
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

LOL!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

So, does tonight work? Or should we target the weekend?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Actually, I don’t think I’m going to be awake….
elengil

Post by elengil »

:hug: This weekend sounds great
was a 2020 planner.

narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

Maybe I can join you. I have a commitment Saturday morning, but otherwise I'm available. Or do you want a complete n00b around? ;)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes, yes. Please!

Are you done with the Introductory quest? Can you get done with that today? It’s boring, but we have to get through it. What race did you choose to be?

Then elengil & I can join you where you are. Do stuff with you and level you up quickly. :D.

Then the fun part will start.