Book 1, Chap. 2: The Shadow of the Past

The Hall of Fire's extended chapter by chapter discussion of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Athrabeth wrote:It’s interesting to me that Tolkien chose to keep Bilbo’s inner workings out of our range in the first chapter, especially after writing so intimately about him in “The Hobbit”. I read with interest the posts in the previous chapter’s discussion that were sparked by Cerin’s thoughts about Bilbo giving up the Ring. What happens is duly related to us – we “see” his hand jerk back, but why? What are his thoughts? What is his sense of what’s happening? As the discussion revealed, that final “disconnect” at the mantelpiece is certainly open to interpretation. Perhaps it was Tolkien’s intention to show providential intervention in the tale at this point, but to me, because the scene is related (as is the entire chapter) from a remote point of view, it couldn’t really be portrayed any other way. As Tolkien continues to tie similar scenes from the first chapter to the second, it becomes extremely effective to have Bilbo’s strange actions echoed by Frodo, but this time with another dimension added to those ominous compulsions – Frodo’s sense of them……and his sense of the Ring.
This really brought into focus something I glimpsed back in Teremia's thread, but only now manage to properly notice.

Tolkien pulls this trick several times over the course of the book - when we first observe the reaction of a character to the Ring from the "outside" and then a similar situation is re-lived through the POV character.

To give just a couple examples: I commented in m00bs how in the Tower of Cirith Ungol Frodo lashes out at Sam for the "theft" of Ring and then, when he comes to his senses, he pours out his anguish in the same words as Boromir did. "What have I said? What have I done?" Now we understand what the Gondorian went through!

Another example - Faramir's noble denial of the Ring. He hesitates, he considers the possibilities, then he decides that he doesn't want it. Easy peasy, right? But later, Samwise the Strong is given a glimpse of what the Ring could do for him and we see his struggle to see through its tricks. Now we know - it wasn't so easy after all.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oh, am so glad you waited, V - I've been meaning to join in since days and finally managed it today.

Reading this chapter with the intent of discussing it, I noticed a few sentences I never had before:
The second disappearance of Mr. Bilbo Baggins was discussed.... for a year and a day
Why a year and A DAY? What does the additional day signify? Is it because Frodo threw another birthday party after a year - and people discussed them both on a year and a day? Or is it a linguistic style of Tolkien's I haven't identified with yet?
and strange visions of mountains that he had never seen came into his [Frodo's] dreams
JRRT has often used dreams as harbingers of the future. Maybe this is the first reference to a portentous dream in LOTR? Which mountains do you think Frodo was dreaming about? Weathertop instantly comes to mind.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Jn wrote:<snip> the more I have thought that the whole book is about humility. That this is what it is about, and that every relationship within the book reflects the cardinality of this virtue in some way.
Reading through certain passages of this chapter - I am not so sure. There is a certain arrogance in Gandalf when he speaks to Frodo, which comes from his belief in his wisdom, his stature.
I am not going to give an account of all my doings to you
The italics in "you", stress that Gandalf does not think that Frodo has the right to know what he was doing. Somebody else might.

And later, regarding why the Ring came to Frodo:
You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess: not for power or wisdom, at any rate
I think Gandalf is extremely self-aware. He knows who he is and from that comes a confidence (not arrogance) about his position, his knowledge, wisdom and stature. I don't think he is modest about what he knows - he knows he is special, he is simply not a pompous ass.

Edit to add:

There is also a marked difference in how Gandalf speaks to Frodo as compared to how he speaks to Sam. And even in how Frodo speaks to Sam. The position of Sam as a gardener to Frodo is not left in any doubt. Humility, in my mind, would require treating everyone the same. Or am I stretching the definition too much?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Sheesh......it's like we're having some kind of two-for-one special in this thread. Double posts galore! :suspicious:
Ax wrote:Choice of POV is a crucial one for an author, and with a good one, never accidental. This is something that is worth watching throughout LOTR.

Yes! I very much think that Tolkien knew precisely what he was doing and why. And I agree that it is well worth at least one read through of the story with this specifically in mind so that one can appreciate just how he handles the "hobbit POV" of the narrative, especially as their plot lines separate from each other. It's particularly interesting to see his choice for most of Pippin's and Merry's time together in The Two Towers - and I'm glad he gives old Merry a chance to fly solo for a while! Besides a couple of fleeting glimpses into Aragorn's thoughts, I can't recall another non-hobbit POV in the entire story.
Frelga wrote:Tolkien pulls this trick several times over the course of the book - when we first observe the reaction of a character to the Ring from the "outside" and then a similar situation is re-lived through the POV character.

To give just a couple examples: I commented in m00bs how in the Tower of Cirith Ungol Frodo lashes out at Sam for the "theft" of Ring and then, when he comes to his senses, he pours out his anguish in the same words as Boromir did. "What have I said? What have I done?" Now we understand what the Gondorian went through!

Another example - Faramir's noble denial of the Ring. He hesitates, he considers the possibilities, then he decides that he doesn't want it. Easy peasy, right? But later, Samwise the Strong is given a glimpse of what the Ring could do for him and we see his struggle to see through its tricks. Now we know - it wasn't so easy after all.
Wonderful examples, Frelga! I love how Tolkien slowly, almost indiscernibly pulls back the veil, so to speak, to reveal the nature of the Ring as the tale unfolds.
Mahima wrote:Why a year and A DAY? What does the additional day signify? Is it because Frodo threw another birthday party after a year - and people discussed them both on a year and a day? Or is it a linguistic style of Tolkien's I haven't identified with yet?
You know, that's an expression my mother often used to describe a l-o-n-g passage of time. The poem "The Owl and the Pussycat" comes immediately to my mind, as well ("so they sailed away for a year and a day"). But, thanks to Wikipedia, I've learned that there's more to the expression:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_year_and_a_day
Mahima wrote:
Jn wrote:
<snip> the more I have thought that the whole book is about humility. That this is what it is about, and that every relationship within the book reflects the cardinality of this virtue in some way.
Reading through certain passages of this chapter - I am not so sure. There is a certain arrogance in Gandalf when he speaks to Frodo, which comes from his belief in his wisdom, his stature.
I am not going to give an account of all my doings to you
The italics in "you", stress that Gandalf does not think that Frodo has the right to know what he was doing. Somebody else might.

And later, regarding why the Ring came to Frodo:
You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess: not for power or wisdom, at any rate
I think Gandalf is extremely self-aware. He knows who he is and from that comes a confidence (not arrogance) about his position, his knowledge, wisdom and stature. I don't think he is modest about what he knows - he knows he is special, he is simply not a pompous ass.
I think Gandalf knows the importance of "unimportance". All of the Wise seem to have an understanding of its potency. Galadriel, Elrond, and Gandalf do indeed have a tangible confidence about their great wisdom, knowledge and stature - how could they not, given their lineage? But although they strive (and succeed) to contain and perhaps even hide their true power, this balance can only be maintained, I think, through their conscious wills. It's why they must reject the Ring. They have the wisdom to understand that it will tip the balance, it will overturn all that they have learned about how close to "dangerous" they are, and it will erase the restraints they place on themselves. Frodo (and Sam), in contrast, don't understand the importance of unimportance at all. They don't need to......they simply know, deep down, with that "hobbit sense" that Tolkien often refers to, that they ARE unimportant. It's what saves them from the temptations of the Ring. There's a verse from the Tao Te Ching that I've always thought sums up this idea quite beautifully. In Peter Merel's translation, it is entitled aptly enough, "Unimportance":

All the world says,
"I am important;
I am separate from all the world.
I am important because I am separate,
Were I the same, I could never be important."

Yet here are three treasures
That I cherish and commend to you:
The first is compassion,
By which one finds courage.
The second is restraint,
By which one finds strength.
And the third is unimportance,
By which one finds influence.

Those who are fearless, but without compassion,
Powerful, but without restraint,
Or influential, yet important,
Cannot endure.

Gandalf and "the Wise" choose to live by a creed very close to this, I believe, understanding its enduring truths. Saruman chooses not to, considering himself "separate" from the world and therefore important and worthy enough to rule it. But Frodo and Sam don't need to choose: compassion, restraint, and unimportance (most importantly!) just comes to them naturally.

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Athrabeth wrote:Sheesh......it's like we're having some kind of two-for-one special in this thread. Double posts galore! :suspicious:
Even worse is that your posts in this thread don't seem to be registering on the "last post" indicator. :x That's twice now that that has happened.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Maybe it senses my unimportance. 8)

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

your amazingly influential unimportance, Athrabeth :bow:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ath wrote:You know, that's an expression my mother often used to describe a l-o-n-g passage of time.
Ah! Now, of course, it makes perfect sense. I was not aware of this phrase. the various meanings in Wikipedia are interesting too - it would be possible to take some and apply them here. But I refrain, as I do think, it would be stretching a phrase beyond its applicability.
Ath wrote:I think Gandalf knows the importance of "unimportance".
Beautifully said, and of course, I completely agree.

This could be splitting hairs - but to what extent do humility and confidence overlap? They definitely do - but till where? While I agree with your broad analysis of the position and persona of Gandalf, Elrond etc. the specific manner in which Gandalf speaks to Frodo, and then Sam, does not seem imbued in humility.
Voronwë the Faithful

I think that the way that Gandalf speaks to Frodo, and to Sam (and to others, as well), is determined more by what will be most effective in encouraging that particular individual to maximize his (no need to say "his or her" here, I'm afraid) potential in doing their part in the battle against Sauron. That is, after all, Gandalf role.

Speaking of Sam, what do folks think about the ending of the chapter, where Sam is joyful at the prospect of going to see the Elves, and then bursts into tears. Are they tears of happiness? I don't think so. I think they are tears of regret at the prospect of leaving behind all that he knows and loves (except for Mr. Frodo). But this emotion doesn't replace his joy at the prospect of going to see the Elves, it complements it.

Doesn't it?

I still have a few things from further back that I want to comment on, plus I am also interested in exploring the history of the writing of this chapter. Would it be folk's preference to have an opportunity to move on and discuss the next chapter even while this thread is still active, or should we wait a while longer? (Remember that you can always go back and comment on any previous chapter, even as we move along this long slow path.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

As used by Tolkien, I don't think that "humility" necessarily means behaving as if one is less than one is, or ignoring the "natural order of things," where one of course speaks differently to a servant than to his master. As an American I don't relate easily to this kind of class system, but it was rarely questioned in Europe before the early 20th century.

"Know your place" cuts both ways, and there is nothing overconfident about Gandalf understanding that he's wise and powerful—because he also understands the limits of his wisdom and power. That's really the core of his humility. I bristled at Gandalf's "arrogance" the first few times I read the book, because as an American and as a typical adolescent I did not want to imagine that anyone was "really," inherently better than me.

I've learned better. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Prim I don't think its about recognizing whether someone is better than you or not. Of course, they are. The difference is in your respect for the person depending on how they behave.

But I agree with you - it is in line with the master-servant system.

V, thats an interesting point you bring up - Gandalf has ulterior motives in trying to get people to play their part in the battle. His behavior would largely be guided through that goal.
Speaking of Sam, what do folks think about the ending of the chapter, where Sam is joyful at the prospect of going to see the Elves, and then bursts into tears. Are they tears of happiness? I don't think so. I think they are tears of regret at the prospect of leaving behind all that he knows and loves (except for Mr. Frodo). But this emotion doesn't replace his joy at the prospect of going to see the Elves, it complements it.

Doesn't it?
I also thought that they are tears of fear. He is, after all, going to leave all he loves behind, including his father. And, stepping further, his fear and awe of Elves does complement his "tears of fear" (wasn't there a music group by that name?)

EDIT to add: Why don't you go ahead and comment, V. Then we can take the call. :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It was "Tears for Fears" Mahima!

Just reading along. Nothing to say so far!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I first read LOTR in colleg and honestly Gandalf never grated on me. In his relationship to the hobbits I saw many echoes of certain teacher-student relationships I've had. Those echoes have only grown stronger in the years since.

Gandalf struck me as a teacher or, more appropriately, a coach or mentor. A really good one. Towards the hobbits he was, at times, a bit on the over-bearing side, but the hobbits were, for lack of a better term, beginners in the art of opposing Sauron. Teachers rarely show humility to their beginning students - that would be detrimental to the bond being established (though arrogance is also detrimental, but Gandalf wasn't arrogant - just authoritative). With more advanced students the relationship is a bit different and humility has more of a place - after all, an advanced student is usually aware of their teacher's weaknesses. A level of trust develops in this stage. The teacher is trusting the student to take care of themselves, the student is trusting the teacher to catch them when they stumble. This is why Gandalf was far less authoritative with Aragorn than he was with the hobbits. Aragorn had been studying opposing Sauron for decades and knew more about the business than any living Man. He also knew Gandalf's particular weaknesses. I'm sure that, in the past, there was plenty of Aragorn doing what Gandalf said, but at the stage of their relationship that LOTR is set in, they are closer to equals. Not truly equals - I have discovered from watching and listening to professors that your mentor is always your mentor, even after you've won your tenure - but there was certainly more give and take between Gandalf and Aragorn than there was between Gandalf and the hobbits. But Aragorn had gone off and planned and implemented his own projects, even succeeding where Gandalf failed (the capture of Gollum). It would have been silly for Gandalf to relate to him as something other than an approximate equal and they both knew it.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I agree with you, River. I first read the thread, and then the chapter which is when I mentally did a comparison of Jn's remark and Gandalf's way of talking.

The threats of Re-re-reading and Over-analysis..... ;)
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Alatar wrote:It was "Tears for Fears", Mahima!
"Everybody Wants to Rule the Ring"?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

N.E. Brigand wrote:
Alatar wrote:It was "Tears for Fears", Mahima!
"Everybody Wants to Rule the Ring"?
good one. :)

the original (Everybody Wants to Rule the World) would work too.

And thanks, Alatar
Voronwë the Faithful

The history of this chapter is interesting. As I discussed in the thread on the last chapter, he went through four iteration of that first chapter before moving on. At the point that he went on to write a second chapter, he had Bingo leaving Hobbiton with his nephews Frodo and Odo, with the plan to pick up his friend Marmaduke on the way. At this point, not only did Bingo not know anything further about either the nature of the Ring or Gollum's history, neither did Tolkien! The catalyst for developing that history was the sudden appearance of the mysterious black riders. And, actually the first time that Tolkien wrote that scene, it turned out to be Gandalf, not some dreadful enemy (but that is getting ahead of things). When Tolkien first attempted to develop a history for the Ring and for Gollum, he actually had Gildor provide it, not Gandalf. It was at this point that he first used the term "Lord of the Ring" (and then "Lord of the Rings"). He then wrote a separate text that didn't seem to be clearly part of the narrative where he experimented with having Gandalf providing this information to Bingo (in which he first has Gandalf telling Bingo how important it was that Bilbo had shown Gollum Pity). But he then went on with the story, bringing it all the way up to Rivendell (with virtually all of the incidents that occurred between the Shire and Rivendell in the final book present, though often in a different form.

As I discussed in the last thread, Tolkien then went back and wrote a fifth version of A Long Expected Party, bringing it virtually to its final form. It was then that he wrote a new second chapter, which he called "Ancient History" in which he significantly developed the history of the Ring, and of Gollum.

And he introduced a brand new character who was going to prove to be quite important: one Sam Gamgee. ;)
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Have I ever mentioned how happy I am he changed the names of certain characters? I mean really...Marmaduke? Isn't that some enormous dog in the funny pages?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I wonder if Tolkien was doing what lots of writers I've talked to have done: flinging drafts onto the paper without any definite idea of what they're accomplishing, including characters who pop into their heads, and then finding by the final draft that many of these seemingly random ideas and characters interlink in ways that are essential to the story and really make it possible.

I've remarked on this before because it strikes me as, well, remarkable. Eerie. How did Tolkien know to add Sam? Yet this kind of thing happens all the time to writers I know: right at the turn of the plot you didn't expect, the character you didn't plan produces an entirely reasonable motivation you didn't provide for him, and saves the story. It's happened to me many times more than once.

The only explanation I can come up with is that writers' lizard brains are smarter than their cerebral cortices. And that's not entirely flattering.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Folca

Post by Folca »

I really must say this site is the best Internet find for me for the year. There are a lot of insightful people on this forum.

Not to digress from the history part, Voronwë, but I completely agree with the concept of Gandalf as the one who says and does what is needed to encourage the behaviors and thoughts that lead to opposition to Sauron. I also can see him as a mentor, but that role seems secondary.

About Sam's tears at the end of the chapter. I think that they are very bittersweet, and the sweet part has very little to do with the joy of seeing elves. I think Sam's tears are borne of two layers of fear. Sam fears the unknown greatly, and leaving everything he knows behind is enough for tears. But I think on a more unconcious level, one I doubt even he ever realizes, some of Sam's tears are of relief for not being compelled to separate from Frodo. Sam fears not being there when Frodo needs him most. Not that I am the most well read individual, but Sam is the greatest embodiment of true friendship I have found in literature, setting aside everything with the sole intention of helping his best friend.

Frodo does treat Sam differently, and Sam defers to him routinely. But I still feel these two are friends first. Sam defers to Frodo as much out of habit (seeing his Gaffer defer to Bilbo, who I feel is more emotionally cold than Frodo is) as it is that without Frodo, Sam has little purpose. Sure, he could grow his own garden for sustenance and purpose, but Sam is service oriented, and thrives having a part in things that do not solely profit himself. Such people are rare, but I have met a few in my lifetime, and they are admirable.
"Ut Prosim"
"There are some things that it is better to begin than refuse, even though the end may be dark" Aragorn
"Those who commit honorable acts need no forgiveness"
http://killology.com/sheep_dog.htm