The challenges ahead (Biden's America)

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Re: The challenges ahead (Biden's America)

Post by Dave_LF »

River wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:16 pm
It's a weird disconnect. When you ask people how they feel about their personal finances, they feel good, but when asked about the nation as a whole, it's a very different story.
As long as store shelves have so many empty holes, and as long as cars and computers are at best expensive and at worst unavailable at any price, people are going to feel bad about the economy. And that's the ones who aren't routinely dealing with new fires at work because supplier X has announced they can't deliver any more Y, so how are we going to make Z?
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I certainly would not dispute your personal experiences with supply chain issues. But across the nation it seems to be happening in patchy way. In my personal life, the only item I've found in short supply over the past couple months is cat food. And at work, we've more than doubled the number of employees, many of whom needed new computers, which we've had no trouble acquiring.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:02 pm [sorry, double posted that]
Last edited by N.E. Brigand on Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

We've had trouble getting anything with resin, which is evidently in short supply. So some painting supplies; paint, varnishes, spray paint, that sort of thing. Also, one of our local bakeries have said they cannot get chopped peanuts and won't have anything with peanuts in the foreseeable future. I suppose they can't take whole peanuts off the shelves and chop them due to strict rules about equipment used for peanuts and allergy/cross contamination.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Hexane, virtually all GPUs, a particular oscillator, saltine crackers… it’s a weird list.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

How do we end up with a hexane shortage??
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
1000%

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I wasn't quite sure where to put this; it is sort of like the opposite of the WTF thread.

Wisconsin senators warn in rare joint statement outsiders may try to exploit Waukesha tragedy for 'political purposes'

Wisconsin's senators, Republican Ron Johnson and Democrat Tammy Baldwin are about as far from each other as I could imagine, both on the political spectrum and personality-wise. Having them issue a joint statement is indeed rare.
"Among the tales of sorrow there are yet some in which amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light that endures."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Phugh! To say they are about as opposite as they come is an understatement of the grandest sort.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

It's impressive. It probably won't persuade anyone hellbent on twisting the tragedy into something they can use in the acquisition of power, fame, and/or money, but it's nice to see the WI Senate delegation standing up for their constituents.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
1000%

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I was pleasantly surprised to see Ron Johnson join that. I'd be curious to know how to that came about. I would have expected him to be at the front of the line of people looking to make political points out of the tragedy. It goes to show you that things don't always go the way you (or I) expect them to.
"Among the tales of sorrow there are yet some in which amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light that endures."