Gun Control Debate

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: Gun Control Debate

Post by Alatar »

Excellent article on the subject. Had to use TinyURL cause of profanity in the url

https://tinyurl.com/y4okco5w
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

From Mr. Trump's very first month in office.

Trump signs bill reversing Obama rule to ban gun purchases by mentally ill

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

I thought that was a good article, too, Al. Thanks for posting it here (and tiny-urling it).

Meanwhile, CNN is finally getting around to point out that Connor Betts was posting left-wing views on twitter.

Dayton shooter appeared to tweet extreme left views and had an abiding interest in violence
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

And of course, Breitbart and other far-right conservative sources are having a field day with that. Left wingers promoting violence...blah, blah, blah.

Meanwhile, can we PLEASE somehow clone this man, or get someone of his ilk elected to office to restore some sanity to the country?? :cry:

Barack Obama:

Michelle and I grieve with all the families in El Paso and Dayton who endured these latest mass shootings. Even if details are still emerging, there are a few things we already know to be true.

First, no other nation on Earth comes close to experiencing the frequency of mass shootings that we see in the United States. No other developed nation tolerates the levels of gun violence that we do. Every time this happens, we’re told that tougher gun laws won’t stop all murders; that they won’t stop every deranged individual from getting a weapon and shooting innocent people in public places. But the evidence shows that they can stop some killings. They can save some families from heartbreak. We are not helpless here. And until all of us stand up and insist on holding public officials accountable for changing our gun laws, these tragedies will keep happening.

Second, while the motivations behind these shootings may not yet be fully known, there are indications that the El Paso shooting follows a dangerous trend: troubled individuals who embrace racist ideologies and see themselves obligated to act violently to preserve white supremacy. Like the followers of ISIS and other foreign terrorist organizations, these individuals may act alone, but they’ve been radicalized by white nationalist websites that proliferate on the internet. That means that both law enforcement agencies and internet platforms need to come up with better strategies to reduce the influence of these hate groups.

But just as important, all of us have to send a clarion call and behave with the values of tolerance and diversity that should be the hallmark of our democracy. We should soundly reject language coming out of the mouths of any of our leaders that feeds a climate of fear and hatred or normalizes racist sentiments; leaders who demonize those who don’t look like us, or suggest that other people, including immigrants, threaten our way of life, or refer to other people as sub-human, or imply that America belongs to just one certain type of people. Such language isn’t new – it’s been at the root of most human tragedy throughout history, here in America and around the world. It is at the root of slavery and Jim Crow, the Holocaust, the genocide in Rwanda and ethnic cleansing in the Balkans. It has no place in our politics and our public life. And it’s time for the overwhelming majority of Americans of goodwill, of every race and faith and political party, to say as much – clearly and unequivocally.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Betts also had a rape and kill list. Misogyny is a man problem, not a political one.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

History of violence and threats of violence against women is something that most of the shooters have in common. As far as I know, it's not considered to be a mental illness.

Neither is racism.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

There's nothing the least bit funny about mass murder, but it seems that the original tweet was not meant as a joke and the replies are priceless.
Legit question for rural Americans - How do I kill the 30-50 feral hogs that run into my yard within 3-5 mins while my small kids play?
https://twitter.com/WillieMcNabb/status ... 7562856448
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I laughed. A lot.
(Possibly 30-50 times.)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I guess there is something wrong with me because I didn't see anything that was even slightly amusing.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Frelga wrote:History of violence and threats of violence against women is something that most of the shooters have in common. As far as I know, it's not considered to be a mental illness.

Neither is racism.
No. It's not. It's a sign of bad socialization. Which is a factor in the decision to start firing a weapon into an unarmed crowd. Limiting the availability of the guns will solve the bodycount problem. It won't address the underlying issue. Though right now we need to get ahead of the bodycount. Once you stop the bleeding, you can stitch the wound.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Voronwë, then you need to click on the link. The posters do an excellent job of trolling the guy who posted about the hogs.

For instance, "it takes 30-50 good hogs to stop 30-50 feral hogs" and "what were you doing to attract all those hogs? I'll bet it was what you were wearing!"

"There's this ingenious device that has been around more or less since the invention of agriculture 12,000 years ago. It's called a fence. Now, I realize you're from Arkansas so this may seem like incredibly advanced technology but give it a try."
Last edited by Sunsilver on Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Are we sure he deserves trolling? His intentions are about as opaque as his syntax, imo.
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, I clicked on the link. I also read the article at CNN. I don't think any of it is even slightly, remotely funny in any way, shape or form.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It's a very silly and absurd image. Silly and absurd things are funny sometimes. *shrug*
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I assume the guy who posted about the hogs was serious. And I agree someone who honestly thinks an assault weapon is necessary to keep feral hogs at bay definitely needs a reality check. It's horrible that he would even THINK such a thing. Just think of what might happen to his kids if he accidentally missed his aim.

But some of the responses.... :)
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I didn't think it was funny, but then I couldn't believe someone would describe feral hogs as pink.

Ever since I saw "Old Yeller" as a kid, I've been leery of the whole idea of feral hogs. Those things will rip you up.

Not that you need firearms to keep them at bay. They are smart and wary and the problem people have with hunting them to limit the damage they do to the environment is actually FINDING them. They are elusive.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Sunsilver wrote:I assume the guy who posted about the hogs was serious. And I agree someone who honestly thinks an assault weapon is necessary to keep feral hogs at bay definitely needs a reality check.
But that's the thing--he didn't say that. People are reacting like he did, but I just see an (admittedly exaggerated and badly-written) inquiry into how to kill the feral hogs that are evidently a problem for him.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The fact that he posted it specifically in response to a tweet about assault weapons is probably relevant.

Voronwë the Faithful

Hopefully this is the first pebble that starts an avalanche of GOP support for these kind of common sense restrictions.

Ohio GOP rep announces support of military-style weapon ban

Voronwë the Faithful