Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Maria
Hobbit

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Maria »

With a very basic Paint program installed in every Windows machine?
graph lies.png
graph lies.png (2.82 KiB) Viewed 1854 times
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I am disgusted that this passes for a 'news' organization. There should be standards.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Most of John Oliver could legit work in this thread but for some reason this one just stands out as particularly horrific. If you can handle his sarcasm and liberal use of expletives, this is a terrifying look at the crap that we've put into our bodies and our environment.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil

Post by elengil »

2021 is sure doing its best to outdo 2020.
Hundreds of three-eyed 'dinosaur shrimp' emerge after Arizona monsoon
https://www.livescience.com/dinosaur-sh ... ge-arizona

:neutral:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

That looks very much like something I would not hold in my bare hand! :shock:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes. Agreed.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

This is just so insane, I have no words, other than WTF!!

MAGA Gun Church That Worships With AR-15s Has Bought a Giant Mountain Property in Tennessee

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4avkdw/ ... px6E7-07x4
Attachments
MAGA gun nuts.JPG
MAGA gun nuts.JPG (33.85 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

:nono: Very insane. :nono:
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I assume the zip ties are to keep the rifles from accidentally being fired, though they aren't around the triggers.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Sunsilver wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:47 pm This is just so insane, I have no words, other than WTF!!

MAGA Gun Church That Worships With AR-15s Has Bought a Giant Mountain Property in Tennessee

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4avkdw/ ... px6E7-07x4
Seems to me this kinda violates the first commandment, IMO. :roll:
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh Deere. Apparently Deere is trying to break the ongoing strike by forcing salaried desk workers to take over union jobs. They will be expected to work 72 hour weeks (12x6).

I worked a summer job assembling electric motors. From that perspective, if anyone put me to that kind of work now, I would pray for safety of the poor soul who drove any tractor I touched.

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

So apparently every person who ever visited a website run by the state of Missouri is a hacker and will be prosecuted.

A few days ago, a St. Louis Post-Dispatch reporter found that the social security numbers of teachers were included in the HTML code of a state website and was thus available for anyone to read by simply right-clicking and selecting "view source." The Post-Dispatch informed the state of this vulnerability and agreed to delay publishing its story (about how the state hadn't fixed a ten-year-old flaw) until the state removed the sensitive information.

But today Missouri's governor announced that the reporter would be prosecuted as a hacker for having accessed teachers' social security numbers.

In other words, for obtaining information that would be cached by the browser of anyone who had visited that state website.

Everyone's a criminal!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Per NBC, a Texas school district advised history teachers that they needed to balance books about the horrors of the Holocaust with other works providing the opposite viewpoint. This happened last Friday, "four days after the ... school board, responding to a parent’s complaint, voted to reprimand a fourth grade teacher who had kept an anti-racism book in her classroom." The school administrator leading the training said this was in accordance with Texas state law requiring teachers to offer "multiple perspectives when discussing 'widely debated and currently controversial' issues."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

CNN: British lawmaker David Amess dies after being stabbed at constituency meeting

A suspect has been arrested. Arness, a member of the Conservative Party who represented an Essex district in Parliament, was 69.
elengil

Post by elengil »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:04 am The school administrator leading the training said this was in accordance with Texas state law requiring teachers to offer "multiple perspectives when discussing 'widely debated and currently controversial' issues."
Wait... wait... doesn't that mean that when teaching how wonderful the US is you also need to provide a balanced view and multiple perspectives?!
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Somehow, I doubt they would even think of that as a possibility.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I would like to state for the record that both-siding Holocaust is not more horrific than both-siding slavery.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Frelga wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:08 pm I would like to state for the record that both-siding Holocaust is not more horrific than both-siding slavery.
:agree:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Update: John Deere strike breaking is going about as well as expected.

It would be funny except they are putting people at real risk of serious injury. 80

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Alec Baldwin ‘Rust’ camera crew walked off the set in protest before the fatal shooting

That just went from "tragic accident" to criminal negligence.