Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by River »

So so light WTF. Might be more "mildly interesting".

Colorado gained a Congressional district. We also passed an anti-gerrymandering amendment to our state constitution, which has caused some frustration in our Dem-controlled statehouse but, as one of the people who voted for the amendment, tough luck. I think partisan gerrymandering is really bad for political parties, no matter who's in charge in a given state. So now there's this committee trying to draw a map and put it up for public comment and there've been a couple drafts released. This most recent one (which will change no doubt) extends my district all the way to the Utah border. Not as senseless as it sounds if you're thinking about population counts, though the redrawn map has a very interesting consequence: it puts Boebert and Neguse head to head for the CO-2 seat. If this goes through, she's not keeping her job. Unless she moves to Mesa County and runs there.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

River wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:50 pm We also passed an anti-gerrymandering amendment to our state constitution,
:cheerleader:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:50 pm We also passed an anti-gerrymandering amendment to our state constitution,
That is so awesome. I wish it were the law of the land.
River wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:50 pm... it puts Boebert and Neguse head to head for the CO-2 seat. If this goes through, she's not keeping her job. Unless she moves to Mesa County and runs there.
:clap:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It is the right thing to do, which is why GOP doesn't do it. Sadly, when one party tries to adhere to some code of honor while the other uses every underhanded and violent means to stay in power, the first party is going to lose.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

There are so many assumptions that go into a redistricting (not the least of which is "I assume this will favor my party"). I lived on the south edge of Anchorage, so my neighborhood was often lumped in with various suburbs and bedroom communities in the vicinity of Anchorage. At one point it was even called "the donut district", surrounding Anchorage. The assumption was that suburban Alaskans had all the same issues, not related to urban Alaskans or rural "bush" Alaskans. Later, our section of suburban Anchorage, filled with people who all lived and worked in Anchorage, was summarily lumped in with the town of Kenai, a 4 hour drive to the south, and all the blank space on the map in between. The problem is, someone living on the edge of, but still in, Anchorage, is not going to have much in common with someone living in Kenai, which has a healthy hatred of Anchorage. I didn't get any representation in those years, because the representative did not dare do anything that could be misconstrued as "pro-Anchorage".
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

A bit of a click-bait headline, but I wouldn't call it inaccurate.

Literally the single most Donald Trump thing Donald Trump has ever done
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

As someone elsewhere said, whatever it takes to keep him far away from everything serious and solemn on that day is ok by me.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Is this not illegal? Over here, non-union members who supervise union staff get a caution read to them all the time about maintaining impartiality. Or is it only when a union is already in place?

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

I'm not a labor law expert (yes that actually is quite a different thing than an employment law attorney) but it would seem very likely to me that would be a violation of the NLRA.

Of course just because someone tweeted that it happened doesn't mean that it did happen. The person who tweeted it seems to be affiliated with something called "VICE." I don't know that is not a reputable source, but I don't know that there are.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Vice is supposedly left leaning, but it's a Murdoch property. I might look into their spin but I don't think their facts are more sus than average.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

VICE: according to Media Bias/Fact Check.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Frelga wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:08 am I'm only putting his here because it doesn't fit anywhere else, but it's a relatively positive story. And it's pretty wild.

There's only one Jew left in Afghanistan, and he's a total jerk, which is why he won't leave. He's such a jerk that Taliban kicked him out of Taliban jail at one point because he was so annoying.

Afghanistan’s last Jew still won’t leave the country (or divorce his wife)

But then!

After Afghanistan’s last Jew refused to leave, his would-be Jewish rescuers helped dozens of other Afghans escape instead
An epilog.

Last known member of Afghanistan's Jewish community leaves country, taking dozens of women and children with him

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ah. Thanks, Frelga. I wonder if he will divorce his wife now. ;)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

uh...

https://news.yahoo.com/secretive-pentag ... _test=1_03
WASHINGTON - A Pentagon program that delegated management of a huge swath of the internet to a Florida company in January - just minutes before President Donald Trump left office - has ended as mysteriously as it began, with the Defense Department this week retaking control of 175 million IP addresses.

The program had drawn scrutiny because of its unusual timing, starting amid a politically charged changeover of federal power, and because of its enormous scale. At its peak, the company, Global Resource Systems, controlled almost 6% of a section of the internet called IPv4. The IP addresses had been under Pentagon control for decades but left unused, despite being potentially worth billions of dollars on the open market.

On the unusual timing of the start of the pilot program - which began the transfer of control of IP addresses at 11:57 a.m. on Inauguration Day, three minutes before President Joe Biden took office - Goemaere added, "The decision to launch and the scheduling of the DDS pilot effort was agnostic of administration change. The effort was planned and initiated in the Fall of 2020. It was launched in mid-January 2021 when the required infrastructure was in place."
:suspicious:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

According to a New York Times profile of political gossip columnist Michael Wolff, who is the author of three somewhat scandalous books on Donald Trump's presidency, former Trump campaign chair and presidential advisor Steve Bannon was working as a media adviser to Jeffrey Epstein as late as early 2019, mere months before Epstein's final arrest. At that time, Bannon was prepping Epstein for a 60 Minutes interview that never happened. Bannon has confirmed to the Times that he recorded some 15 hours of practice interviews with Epstein. (As reporter Jeet Heer of The Nation notes on his blog, Wolff himself has been quite close to Epstein: in 2003, "Wolff tried to engineer a business partnership with Jeffrey Epstein and Harvey Weinstein to buy a magazine." And years after Epstein was first arrested in 2005, Wolff wrote a magazine profile meant to rehabilitate Epstein's image, but it ended up not being published because Wolff had promised Epstein that the magazine couldn't fact check with anyone but Epstein himself.)

Epstein's connections to Donald Trump are well known. But in light of this news, I am reminded again that after Steve Bannon was arrested and charged with fraud in 2020, Trump pardoned Bannon on his last day in office.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Imagine, not tolerating misinformation.
Voronwë the Faithful

Despite the fact that this relates to the 2022 election, this can only go here.

Donald Trump just kind-of endorsed Stacey Abrams for governor
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

They should listen to him.

This is just an incredibly shameless way to lie with graphs.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Disgusting. Like WTF. How did they even manage to make that??
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude