Mysteries of Middle-Earth

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Mysteries of Middle-Earth

Post by elengil »

Alatar wrote:
elengil wrote:Several things in that particular region never really were given definitive explanation - like the blizzard on Caradhras. It's implied it might have been from Saruman, but it's never actually confirmed.
I always thought that was an invention of PJ's (and a clever one).
Bakshi beat him to that punch I think ;)
It can be hard to tease out the books from adaptations at times. The visual medium tends to want to take over, especially where the book is ambiguous!
THe book says:
'I wonder if this is a contrivance of the Enemy,' said Boromir. "They say in my land that he can govern the storms in the Mountains of Shadow that stand upon the borders of Mordor. He has strange powers and many allies.'

'His arm has grown long indeed,' said Gimli, `if he can draw snow down from the North to trouble us here three hundred leagues away.'

'His arm has grown long,' said Gandalf.
I suppose the "many allies" could refer to Saruman, but if so Gandalf doesn't seem to make the connection.
Gimli also implies it may be the mountain itself being angry, so yes, it was left as a mystery exactly where that storm came from.

OH, but we've forgotten the biggest mystery of all, of course. What color was Legolas's hair!? :rofl:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

What's next, the Balrog wings?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:What's next, the Balrog wings?
:devil:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Or, "why didn't the Eagles fly Frodo to Mount Doom?"
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Or, "why didn't the Eagles fly Frodo to Mount Doom?"
Ah, but is that *really* a mystery? A direct air assault would have been obvious and the Nazgûl would have intercepted. It would have tipped their hand in regard to their actual plan. And the eagles weren't horses, they didn't want to be involved. They may have been prevented from being involved, in fact. They were Manwë's eagles, no? To keep him informed, but not necessarily intervene in that kind of matter?

(yes I know, it's the common refrain, just... addressing it)
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I have always been very very curious about the blue Istari. Who were they? What did they do in “the East”? What happened to them after? Where are they *now*?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

elengil wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Or, "why didn't the Eagles fly Frodo to Mount Doom?"
Ah, but is that *really* a mystery? A direct air assault would have been obvious and the Nazgûl would have intercepted. It would have tipped their hand in regard to their actual plan. And the eagles weren't horses, they didn't want to be involved. They may have been prevented from being involved, in fact. They were Manwë's eagles, no? To keep him informed, but not necessarily intervene in that kind of matter?

(yes I know, it's the common refrain, just... addressing it)
All that you say is correct. I was being sarcastic about the fact that this subject keeps coming up about both the books and the films despite the fact that it makes no real sense.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Wait wait wait.... I may have just stumbled onto the biggest mystery of all :shock:

The Ring poem.
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Gandalf tells Frodo that the words written on the One Ring are the last two lines of a longer poem. A poem that, presumably then, was in existence at the time the One was forged in order for the last two lines to be inscribed upon it? But at the time the One was forged, Sauron didn't know there were 3 for the Elves (he discovered them as soon as he put on his ring but not until then) - and he hadn't yet gifted the 9 to men or 7 to dwarves. So... really the poem was originally just those two lines, that was then expanded on later?? Rather than the reverse??
was a 2020 planner.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Either that or the inscription was added later?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End