The Lord of the Rings Musical

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Thanks Alatar - however, it looks like there's no more quicktime for windows98 - and I would hesitate to download a 20mb program anyway, as my hard disk shouldn't really get much more crowded.
Besides, I have a player that's supposed to replace other players, I'm just not sure how to make it be used when the clip itself calls for a standard player - LOL.

Hehe, a London moot for the musical was what I was thinking, too! Like the exhibition two years ago! :D
But I read on TORC that it's $125 to see the musical - and no way would I spend that much for any entertainment!
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

But I read on TORC that it's $125 to see the musical - and no way would I spend that much for any entertainment!
Well, that was $125 CA - it worked out to be about $95 US when I bought my tix.

Which is what you pay for a "Broadway" Musical these days, when you are paying full price.

I don't care. I love musicals and I love Broadway and what the heck else am I spending my money on? :D
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

truehobbit wrote:But I read on TORC that it's $125 to see the musical - and no way would I spend that much for any entertainment!
For any entertainment? Not even...PAUL MCCARTNEY?!

My wife and I paid $300 US for a pair of tickets to see Sir Paul perform in Oakland, California two years ago. It was the first performance during his "Driving USA" tour. Yes, that's a lot of dough-re-mi but how many times to get to see a living legend in concert? We didn't buy any of the incredibly overpriced merchandise, though.

During the concert McCartney made a very touching tribute to the late John Lennon, singing "I Love You". I doubt that there was a dry eye in the house.

McCartney's tribute to George Harrison was a bit more light-hearted, singing "Something" while accompanying himself on ukulele. (Paul informed the audience that Harrison was brillian ukulele player, and that the two of them would sit around and play together.)

You'd pay $125 to see that, wouldn't you, Hobby? :)
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Old_Tom_Bombadil wrote: For any entertainment? Not even...PAUL MCCARTNEY?!

You'd pay $125 to see that, wouldn't you, Hobby? :)
Um - at the risk of making myself unpopular for all times - no, I wouldn't! :D

I think I'd be willing to pay up to, say, 30 USD to see Paul McCartney.

Which means that I like him and the Beatles, but am not greatly enthusiastic about him/them.

I've tried to think of anyone I'd pay around 100 Euros (that being in between what Jewel paid for her tickets and you paid for the McCartney ones) for to hear, but couldn't think of anyone.* What I'm interested in hearing tends to come at a much lower price, so maybe I'm spoiled. But in fact, I think that in the modern entertainment industry the price asked for an event is inversely proportional to how worth hearing/seeing it is.
Though I guess it's different when you're such a big fan of something or someone that money really doesn't matter anymore. I don't think I've ever been that kind of fan of anyone. :)
I understand about the legendary quality of McCartney, though - I guess if I could hear someone from the past that I admire as a legend, I'd maybe consider that a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, too. :)

Edited to add: *Ok, on second thoughts - if it were a favourite opera of mine with a whole set of favourite singers in the lead roles, under a good conductor and a loving staging - I think I'd probably pay that sum. :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Old_Tom_Bombadil

truehobbit wrote:I think I'd be willing to pay up to, say, 30 USD to see Paul McCartney.
I don't think you could have purchased one of the (admittedly overpriced) T-shirts for $30, let alone a ticket to see him perform! :rofl:

Opera tickets are very expensive, too. My wife and I had subscriptions to the San Francisco Opera for a few years when we were first married. Not only do you have to pay the face value of the tickets, but you have to give a "donation" to increase your chances of getting a better seat. Also, you have no guarantee that the marquee performers will even perfom the night that you hold the ticket for.

The impetus for the first season we purchased was that Luciano Pavarotti and Mirella Freni would be performing in La Boheme. It was known in advance that Pavarotti would not be performing the complete run because he had a conducting engagment in Italy. As it turns out, he left for Italy a performance or two earlier than expected, and we didn't even get to see him! :x

If you want inexpensive entertainment, recordings are the way to go. If you want a memorable experience, nothing beats live entertainment. :)
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

truehobbit wrote: I think I'd be willing to pay up to, say, 30 USD to see Paul McCartney.
:rofl: $30 US might get you parking.
*Ok, on second thoughts - if it were a favourite opera of mine with a whole set of favourite singers in the lead roles, under a good conductor and a loving staging - I think I'd probably pay that sum. :)

There. You see? You pay for what you really want to see...because it isn't a matter of actual price, it's a matter of what it is worth To You. And also, how much you think indulging yourself is worth. I don't allow myself many indulgences. I work hard; I don't go out, I don't buy myself a lot of luxuries. So when I DO want something - a trip, or to see a show - I treat myself. Because I am worth it! :D

I would certainly have paid $150 to see Beatle Paul. Gladly. A bargain! :D And I might have even sprung for some of the merchandise. :oops:
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Old_Tom_Bombadil wrote:
truehobbit wrote:I think I'd be willing to pay up to, say, 30 USD to see Paul McCartney.
I don't think you could have purchased one of the (admittedly overpriced) T-shirts for $30, let alone a ticket to see him perform! :rofl:
$30 US might get you parking.
That proves what I said about the price being inversely proportional to what the thing is worth! :D

Jewel, on the one hand I agree about a price being high or low depending on what it's worth to yourself - I mean, a lot of people probably wouldn't spend 30 USD to see any opera :D - but there's also such a thing as the industry asking inappropriate prices just because they know that people will probably pay them - and I think in most cases I'd rather go without the experience than give in to that kind of extortion and feel the fool of the market. :D

Opera tickets are very expensive, too. My wife and I had subscriptions to the San Francisco Opera for a few years when we were first married. Not only do you have to pay the face value of the tickets, but you have to give a "donation" to increase your chances of getting a better seat. Also, you have no guarantee that the marquee performers will even perfom the night that you hold the ticket for.
I think it's astonishing they manage to fill the house in the first place, if they are that expensive. Maybe there just are a lot of rich people around who still treat opera as a social duty and hence fill the seats. However, as long as opera is a way for the rich to show off, it's making it a posh affair, and putting of normal people.
I guess there are some houses with the same attitude on this side of the pond, but in Cologne you can see an opera for much the same price as go to the cinema.

I looked it up (and felt quite tempted to see an opera once again - haven't been in a year or more, I think :D ): tickets are from 10 Euros to 65 Euros. The attitude to opera here is that it should be a similarly normal event as the cinema, not something that is special even for the rich. Of course, Cologne opera doesn't deal in big names a lot, but it's one of the category A houses in the country.

But it's true that when there is a special guest, they usually perform just once or twice, and tickets for that are sold out months in advance, or given to subscription holders, so the ordinary visitor doesn't get to see them.

However, there's still the Philharmonics, where you have a reasonably good chance to see interesting people at reasonable prices.

I've been to some very memorable performances for comparatively little money, but I do like recordings, and have had some very memorable entertainment from listening to them, too - I get annoyed very easily, so it needs some luck for me to make live entertainment worthwhile ;) - so, I have to disagree about your evaluation of cheap entertainment/live entertainment! :P
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I think in most cases I'd rather go without the experience than give in to that kind of extortion and feel the fool of the market.
See, I don't feel a "fool of the market" at all. I feel like "Wow, I saw a cool thing!" And what is life, if not to have experiences? I do think that the tickets to rock concerts are ridiculously high - and sometimes, the lead artist is only on stage for a short time! But for a show that last 2 or 3 hours and includes singers, dancers, orchestra...it's worth the $$.
I get annoyed very easily, so it needs some luck for me to make live entertainment worthwhile
That may make a difference, then. If you get annoyed easily, then it would be easy to have an experience become a poor one and for you to feel like you had wasted the money. On the other hand, I don't get annoyed that easily and I LOVE live entertainment - especially Broadway-class, where you almost always get a lot of bang for your buck. I go in knowing that it won't be perfect and that there will likely be some things I don't like - but I go in for the overall experience of the live show. And it's FUN, especially if you go with a group. Then you don't just get the show, you get the company and the talk afterwards and the memory of a shared experience.

Old_Tom_Bombadil

truehobbit wrote:Maybe there just are a lot of rich people around who still treat opera as a social duty and hence fill the seats. However, as long as opera is a way for the rich to show off, it's making it a posh affair, and putting of normal people.
I definitely think that there is some of that going on. There are people there, too, who love opera and feel that they're getting their money's worth.

Coming from a large working class family and not having the economical advantages that some people take for granted, I can definitely understand the value you place on your hard-earned money.

When my wife and I bought our first home three years ago we were astounded at how much house prices had increased in just five years, and regretting that we hadn't bought earlier. Three years later we're now saying, "Thank God we bought when we did!" because our home would easily sell for another $100,000 today and we would not be able to afford it. I don't know who buys these $800,000 homes and $60,000 automobiles but it sure isn't anybody I know.

It's the same with high-priced theatre tickets. Somebody is willing to pay the asking price, because if they weren't the prices would drop when the tickets didn't sell. It's all about supply and demand.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Thanks for understanding, Tom! :)

Yes, I agree it's a question of supply and demand - and things that get hyped up get in demand and hence become pricey.
I think I just don't like to go with the hype - that's what I meant by feeling the fool of the market.

And I think it does have to do with the economical background for me, too - you just learn that things have a certain value, and that there are limits to what something can reasonably be worth - and fan-merchandise, for example, in that context has no value at all. :D
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

you just learn that things have a certain value, and that there are limits to what something can reasonably be worth - and fan-merchandise, for example, in that context has no value at all.
*looks down at the "Lord of the Rings" t-shirt she purchased at the musical in Toronto and is wearing this moment*

*grins*

See, when I wear the (admittedly over-priced) t-shirt I bought, it means a great deal to me. And it has a great deal of value. For me.

It makes me happy to remember the fun Connie and I had getting to the hotel and meeting up with Allison and the rest of Urban Tapestry and singing for hours in the hotel room. And the excitement we felt going into the theater and seeing all the people, equally excited. And the cool staging and the neat sounding music. And the dinner afterwards, where Allison's husband had us in stitches with his imitation of Brent Carver's Gandalf as a drunk. And the snatches of song I can remember. (and getting stuck in Toronto at some god-forsaken hotel near the airport due to a blizzard back home!)

Anyway. Things have value depending on who has them and what they mean to that particular person. For me, there was no way on earth I was going all the way to Toronto and coming home without a t-shirt. :D

Old_Tom_Bombadil

JewelSong wrote:It makes me happy to remember the fun Connie and I had getting to the hotel and meeting up with Allison and the rest of Urban Tapestry and singing for hours in the hotel room...
That's what I was referring to a couple of posts ago when I mentioned the "memorable experience". You'll cherish those moments for the rest of your life. :)
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

So, you would not be able to enjoy the memories and be happy that all that happened without the t-shirt?

Don't get me wrong - I'm a complete sucker for souvenirs!
It's just that there are limits for me, not just economically but also ideally. But I also get that careless feeling, once you're there, that makes you buy things you'd never buy in a more normal context.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

So, you would not be able to enjoy the memories and be happy that all that happened without the t-shirt?
Of course. But the t-shirt is part of the complete package!
Don't get me wrong - I'm a complete sucker for souvenirs!
It's just that there are limits for me, not just economically but also ideally.But I also get that careless feeling, once you're there, that makes you buy things you'd never buy in a more normal context.
Well, I get that feeling too. Which is why I usually plan ahead to buy one specific thing. Like a t-shirt. Because then I can wear it and it has a use besides sitting on my shelf!

(Although I admit that if they had had the shiny, souvenir program-book and the CD for sale when I was there, those also would have gone on my credit card! :D)

MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

I think in most cases I'd rather go without the experience than give in to that kind of extortion and feel the fool of the market.
High prices aren't necessarily extortion. A TON Of work goes into every Broadway show. They have to pay the leads and gypsies, designers, director, stage manager, the ops, stagehands, electricians, house managers, company/project managers, producers, etc. For a big Broadway show there are about four-six people in the booth every night I believe and a ton of stagehands and musicians and security. There's also wear and tear on costumes, replacing lamps, upkeep of scenery, etc. It's not cheap. Concert tours also don't bring in a lot because they have to pay for the facility in which they play, gas for semis to haul the equipment (usually around eight), union stagehands for load in and load out plus roadies and ops. (This paragraph comes to you courtesy of my theatre tech professor.)

Not to say that supply and demand doesn't affect prices, but the high prices aren't pure extortion. A lot of theatres do lotteries for the first two rows so that tickets only cost $25 for those on a budget.

Broadway is going to be the death of my wallet. There are so many shows I want to see! :help: I think I'll end up having spent between $750-$1000 on theatre tickets, etc this year. (It doesn't help that my roommate is really rich and her dad pays for her tickets and I find it very difficult not to say yes when she's buying tickets.) But it's worth it. Seeing the original cast of Spamalot? Once in a life time experience. I will never forget seeing Defying Gravity for the first time. Norbert Leo Butz, Sherie Rene Scott, and John Lithgow in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels? Absolutely worth the $75 ticket. It's such a rush. Who needs drugs when you've got Broadway?

(And this is why I shouldn't post in theatre threads. I'm sorry.)
But the t-shirt is part of the complete package!
Agreed! I like to buy a tshirt at every show I go to if I really like. I like my shirts to have character. :D It's a nice wearable reminder.

rumour has it that Idina Menzel will be playing Elphaba in the West End production of Wicked for a few months to "kick-start" the show.
rumour has it that Idina Menzel will be playing Elphaba in the West End production of Wicked for a few months to "kick-start" the show.
:shock: :shock: IDINA?! Oh, if that turns out true I hope you get to see her!
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm hoping Mossy :)

And I'm with Jewel and Mossy on this. $100 is not a lot for a full scale broadway production with a cast of 50 and probably as many backstage of front of house who all have to be paid, not to mention investors and producers. I resent paying the same amount of money for a 4 piece band and a half dozen roadies though.

I'll pay it for a legend, like Clapton or U2, but I wouldn't pay it for, say, Westlife.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Well, most operas have a cast of 100 at least (soloists + choir + orchestra), and they don't even need amplifiers to be heard :P - and I can get that for a fraction of that price - so my choice would be clear. :)

I think another thing I resent about these shows is the technical hocus-pocus that goes into them - and from the description of the critics the LOTR musical has a lot of that. According to the negative criticism we read, so much even that the story itself suffers.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

But hasn't visual spectacle always been popular on stage? I'm thinking of Nicholas Nickleby's adventures as an actor, for example, where the theater troupe proudly advertised that its latest production included a live pony, a pump, and an actual tub of water. Things are more elaborate now, and perhaps sometimes too much so—but many people still seem to enjoy being flabbergasted.

in fact it has a special spice in a live performance, where you know that what you see on stage must in some sense be "really" happening.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

Alatar wrote:I'm hoping Mossy :)
As am I. :)
I think another thing I resent about these shows is the technical hocus-pocus that goes into them - and from the description of the critics the LOTR musical has a lot of that.
LOTR is different than a lot of shows . . . it's on a much grander scale. Most of the technical stuff is necessary because it's on stage, life. Phantom, for example, is the most technically complicated show currently on Broadway. Traps all over the place, things being flown in and out, a boat, etc. But it's not the spectacle . . . if it were a movie, no one would think the special effects were anything special, but because it's being performed in front of an audience, they need a lot more technicaly wizardry. Of course, some of the best shows are also those without a lot. Lion King, for instance, is the most visually dazzling show I've ever seen and they only have two major set pieces.
in fact it has a special spice in a live performance, where you know that what you see on stage must in some sense be "really" happening.
Exactly. :)
they don't even need amplifiers to be heard
Do they really not use lavalier or overhead mics? I find that suprising. Even so, I'm guessing that's not a reflection of the quality so much as it is the type of singing. Vibrato (for me) softens it a lot, whereas belting is much harder on the voice. Belting to the back of a Broadway house eight times a week seems like it would kill your voice. Totally uninformed impression, but that's what it seems like.
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Old_Tom_Bombadil

MaidenOfTheShieldarm wrote:Do they really not use lavalier or overhead mics? I find that suprising.
Opera houses are designed so that microphones are not necessary. It's all in the acoustics. :)