Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Lovely, ttbk! And it's always great to see you posting here.

My favorite is the goose on the roof—such dignity!—but I also really like the sky with treetops. So airy.

Where was the one with the decorative metal taken? (I mean, what is that thing? :D )
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

Hi, Prim! :)

It's a chair; like almost all the other pics I just posted it was taken at a zoo (I think there are pictures from three different zoos :upsidedown: ), and so there were animals on the backs of the chairs. Because of the angle you can't really tell what animal this particular chair had, and I don't remember. I just thought it made for an interesting maze of twisting metal. :spin:

ttbk
Glowah, eee chop glowah.
Ya glowah pee chu nee foom
Ah toot dee awe goon daa.

Glory, we found glory.
The power showed us the light,
And now we all live free.

Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
Celebrate the might; (Power!)
Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
Celebrate the love.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It did. I was just curious!

And I thought it might be zoos. You don't see a lot of kangaroos lying on the lawn, most places in this hemisphere.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Here is why Michigan is still a great place to live, despite the highest unemployment rate in the country:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jensenl/ ... 006/north/

And here's the flipside: :P
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jensenl/ ... 08/frozen/

And no, I have no connection to any of the photographers besides living near them.
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

The contrast is wonderful between winter and summer! I love the ice at the Light House and the dunes are incredible! It would be fun to jump off of them. Thanks for sharing.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

Those dunes were amazing! I especially love the ice, as well as the sunsets. :)

I also enjoyed the rest of the pics...the zoo pics; the insects; the llama self portrait; the northwest coast...they are all wonderful!
Texas, Land of the Free, Home of the Tumbleweeds....:tumbleweed:
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Primula Baggins wrote:And I thought it might be zoos. You don't see a lot of kangaroos lying on the lawn, most places in this hemisphere.
TTBK's wife is kind of a zoo nut. She made him take her to 4 different zoos in the past few months, 3 of them within 2 weeks of each other. Two of them within 2 days of each other.

:D
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Sorry to have been gone for so long. The last two weeks have been crazy busy. This past week we took the youth to Seneca Lake (Senecaville, Ohio) for youth camp.

Here are two pretty pictures, the first taken by me, the second taken by my daughter:

The first is the view from our cabin. The second is the view from Vesper Hill.

Lali
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Beautiful, Lali....
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Indeed!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
ArathornJax

Post by ArathornJax »

Beautiful indeed.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

That must be the part of Ohio they keep hidden, Lali. ;)

Zoo:

County Fairs:

And for those who don't like animals (though I can't imagine why not):
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:rage: Hey! In case you don't know what those are, Hoosier-girl, they are called hills.

Thank you to everyone else. :)

(And I will still be mature about it and tell you that your pics are very, very good, cem. :P I'll have to show Katie the horse one, and Sarah will love the cows.)

Lali
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

I love that "Thank you to everyone else." :rofl:

They're lovely photos... I just can't help getting my digs in. (I do believe you know most of my side of the family come from Ohio....)

And, we just happen to have "hills" here in Indiana too. Such as this hill we stood upon, prior to embarking into the valley of the blueberries.

And then we commenced with the picking of the blueberries.

And the tasting.

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:D I know. I'm just razzing you! :P

The blueberries look so yummy! And what a handsome husband you have! :) Lucky girl!

(I mean, I'm a lucky girl, too, so I can say that.)

Lali
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I uploaded some pics from our apple-picking trip this afternoon.

Early Fall in Ohio

Here are some of the prettiest (I think):

(I figure it's okay to stretch the page as this thread isn't getting much traffic lately. If not, let me know, and I'll resize as needed.)

Lali
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I think it's okay. If anyone complains, we'll fix 'em.

(By the way, that second picture is of grapes, not apples. Just sayin'! :P
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

A summer morning:

ttbk
Glowah, eee chop glowah.
Ya glowah pee chu nee foom
Ah toot dee awe goon daa.

Glory, we found glory.
The power showed us the light,
And now we all live free.

Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
Celebrate the might; (Power!)
Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
Celebrate the love.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Very beautiful, ttbk. The deer in the last photo was a lovely surprise—I didn't see it in the thumbnail!
ArathornJax

Post by ArathornJax »

Well, I couldn't stand it. I could see the color in the mountains so off I went today after school. Here are some of the pics (and the colors haven't really hit yet, about a week or so out).

I love living where there are seasons . . . while unless winter lasts too long! Enjoy. If I need to resize let me know please.

Oh, I forgot. I stopped and took a picture of this herd of elk on my way to work the other day (around 7a.m.). There were two younger bulls off to the left but they were away from the cows.

Last edited by ArathornJax on Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.