General Hobbit Movie Info (AVOID IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I have it on good authority that it's Orc #135356 who is making the cameo.

I'm so excited, he was my favorite Orc. All his wonderful Orciness...the long stragly unwashed hair, the scragly teeth, the warts on his forehead...what an Orc.

Yeah well I give up on typing today and spelling stuff right with good grammar and all that.... :P
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Bigger surprise here:

Sahara India Pariwar eyes MGM buy
Movie studio may go for over $2 billion, reports WSJ source

Frankly, I would rather the Spyglass deal just go through. Who knows what further delays the India studio would cause. Or whether they would import The Hobbit to Bollywood!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The Hobbit cartoon certainly benefited from musical numbers.

Here, I'll save Prim the trouble.

:salmon:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Sorry, Ax, but I find that self-inflicted troutings rarely deliver the necessary instructive value.

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

It appears that the Spyglass deal is still on track:

Memo: MGM Not Veering From Spyglass

I emphasize "appears" because I note that there is no date on the "memo" and no reason to be sure that it does not predate the the Sahara India bid.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

The mind boggles at a Bollywood Hobbit. The dances... The costumes...
:shock:
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Suddenly, "fa-la-la-la-lally come back to the valley", makes sense to me.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

:help: :help: :help:

You know what the worst part about that frickin' tra-la-lally Elven silliness is?

I first read the Hobbit on a backpacking trip around Mt. Rainier. I finished it before I finished the trip. Next day, my brother and I did yet another round of "up and over this ridge and down another and camp in a valley or out on a glacial park". Rainier is (in)famous for that. By then, we were used to it. Bloody used to it, judging from my feet and the fact I was marching around quite happily on them. But, coming down that ridge, what do I have worming around in my ear, to a perfectly obnoxious tune my own sick and sorry mind came up with?

You guessed it.

Tra-la-la-lally, welcome back to our valley!

:rage: :rage: :rage: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bawling:

You know what I, to this day, feel like busting out singing whenever I hit the home stretch of a descent from anything, be it a ridge or a mountain?

You guessed it.

:rage: :rage: :rage: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bawling: some more.

I'm not sure J is so afflicted. But, after reading The Hobbit we both read LOTR. And then the next summer, we went back to Rainier for some more backpacking and this time we tried to decide what the various bits of scenery resembled. We found Rivendell at Spray Park. And the @$#(%)@#*%^(@*#%&)(*#$&(@*#$)(*%&*()$%&)(* & erosion steps on the way out of Indian Bar are totally Cirith Ungol. Especially since it was unseasonably hot and dry and there was was no shade going up that ridge and no water to be had between Indian Bar and the creek at the very bottom of the ridge we had to go over (Nickel, I think it was). Usually there're springs and streams all over, but not this time. Fortunately, by the time we were really running dry, we were going down and got back under some trees so there was less effort and less sweating, but still...

Coulda been worse. Coulda been a giant spider waiting for us at the top.

Oh yeah, we found Ithilien too, up on top of this ridge above the Yellowrock Cliffs Camp. Misty meadow full of wildflowers and springs.

When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

WampusCat wrote:The mind boggles at a Bollywood Hobbit. The dances... The costumes...
:shock:
I find the idea strangely compelling...

:help:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I just had a disturbing image of the Peter Pan pixie dude sitting in a tree and singing that song. :help:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<sighs>

<unlocks the Brain Bleach cabinet, against possible emergency>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Anxiously awaits photos of Peter Pan dude.

Cheese, cheese, cheese in the deep...
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

**sidles up to the Brain Bleach cabinet

Line starts here.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Could be worse. Could be this song. Just think of it as Bilbo and the dwarves taking a bus to Rivendell.

The dancer is fantastic, I must say.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

A Bollywood Hobbit?

Heh, Shahrukh Khan for Bilbo! =:)

Hey, at least he would be about the right age at 45, and he wouldn't be too tall to play a hobbit... :D

And, judging from a few battle scenes that I've seen, they could do a quite impressive Battle of the Five Armies. :P
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Voronwë the Faithful

For what it is worth, Jack at the Noldor Blog has posted what he says is advertisement in the the Wellington Dominion Post newspaper for Hobbit doubles. While I haven't found his "rumors" to be reliable in the past, it seems unlikely that he has made this one up:

Almost green light?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It would be an elaborate hoax for no huge payoff, creating and scanning a fake ad. I think it must be legit, and therefore is a good sign. Thanks for posting it. :)
Voronwë the Faithful

Not to mention the fact that it would be entirely too easy for other New Zealander to either confirm or deny that it exists. So I agree it is very likely to be legit.
Voronwë the Faithful

And an article in the Dominion post confirms it:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/lo ... The-Hobbit
A Jackson spokesman said actors playing hobbits and dwarves would be normal adult size. "Scale doubles appear in some wide shots in place of our actors and with other adult actors when we need people to look smaller or taller."

The casting call was for people who fitted those heights. Those that did not would be turned away. There would be other casting calls at a later date for different roles.

More than 4000 extras were cast for The Lord of the Rings.

Despite the casting call, The Hobbit had yet to get the official green light to begin full pre-production and shooting.

"But we do need to be prepared in the event that we get one. That means having a little look around Wellington for scale doubles," the spokesman said.

I can't imagine that the greenlight is not right around the corner.