Hall of Fire Reviews - Post Them Here! [SPOILERS!]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Maybe there just won't be any close-ups of him in the entire trilogy. Or maybe they will be saved for EE's.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Which begs the question of why it is there in the first place if there wasn't any reference to it. Surely there has to be a better way of distinguishing between dwarfs than embedding an ax in a skull. I just don't get it.

I'll be doing the HFR viewing sometime next week probably. I'm glad I saw them in the order that I did, but I want to see how the HFR looks before it is gone from the theaters.

Will the other two movies also be available in HFR, or is that "experiment" over with?
Voronwë the Faithful

Good question! I haven't seen anything about that. I would guess that Jackson will still push to have it be available, but if the studio thinks that it impeded the box office, well, nothing speaks louder than money.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Beutlin

Second viewing.

Post by Beutlin »

I have just returned from my second viewing of "An Unexpected Journey". This time I watched it on a smaller screen (70m2), again in 48fps. I will have a hard time to find a cinema that shows the original version in 24fps here, but I might give it a try some time in the future. Again, I had no problems with the 48fps, even though I had feared that the negative aspects of said technology would be more visible without IMAX.

We brought our mom to the cinema today, and she liked the film, enjoying it more than the LOTR films. It was her first 3D experience, and she liked it a lot. Curiously my parents both very much enjoyed the 3D in this film - and no, they are not ignoramuses who barely watch films; in fact they are film enthusiasts who hardly ever watch blockbusters and prefer European and American independent films. So I was a little bit surprised listening to their reactions.

I enjoyed the film more this time around. My sympathy for Martin Freeman's Bilbo has grown now, I especially liked his acting during the trolls' scene. Some of the scenes which I did not like on my first viewing (Warg/Radagast/Dwarves-chase) or that I only found okay (the trolls' scene) did not bother me or even excelled. Others still seemed odd (Giants, Azog-Thorin showdown), but only because they were overly long.

I think it has been mentioned before, but I would recommend everyone to watch this film in DOLBY ATMOS - which is in my opinion far more an improvement than the whole 48fps 3D thing. I saw the film with Atmos on my first viewing and my heart started racing during the prologue (...and I am still a young guy, who has seen films aplenty on the big screen - rarely ever does this happen). Today I watched "AUJ" in an older cinema and I must confess that the sound paled in comparison.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Somebody had an axe in their head?

:scratch:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

:)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I know. I knew it was there and deplored it in advance and then never noticed it. They could probably remove it digitally for the EE and no one would notice that, either. Deluxe Extended Edition, with Bonus Axe-Free Bifur.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Anthy, I actually started a petition about the axe in Bifur's head (and then Al started a counter-petition), which was actually referred to in Visual Companion tie-in book that was released a few weeks ago.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Anthy, I actually started a petition about the axe in Bifur's head (and then Al started a counter-petition), which was actually referred to in Visual Companion tie-in book that was released a few weeks ago.
I remember that. I supported your petition even though I was ambivalent about the axe (iirc). mmm so you are part of the official record... I hope they do a follow up highlighting the largess on display when you admitted that in the end it didn't really affect your enjoyment of the film. :bow:
Voronwë the Faithful

I remember you supporting it despite being ambivalent about it, Dennis, and I appreciate the support!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Just cuz nobody ever noticed it doesn't mean it wasn't an awful idea. ;)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Well, what I feared was that it would be in our faces all the time because it was "kewl." They made a different choice, at least for this film, and I'm glad.

Because, ew. I mean, really.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Anthy, I actually started a petition about the axe in Bifur's head (and then Al started a counter-petition), which was actually referred to in Visual Companion tie-in book that was released a few weeks ago.
I'm beginning to believe I should have followed the pre-release thread. :)

Oh well. Maybe next movie!
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Voronwë the Faithful

"Once it takes hold of us, it never lets go."
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

I didn't know anything about it and luckily never noticed it. Good thing too. I mean seriously, what a monumentally stupid idea. Worse than using trebuchets as a defensive weapon. At least there was none of that in this movie (was there? I might have slept through that part).
Voronwë the Faithful

No trebuchets, but did you catch Bombur eating the donuts? ;)
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Okay, I just saw it for the 3rd time, this time with my youngest son. He has never read the books, but really liked the LOTR movies. He was very intrigued with the prologue with Old Bilbo and Frodo and it really served to put him back into Middle Earth. It made it very clear to him who Bilbo was and where the story had come from.

I've decided I LOVE the movie. The whole thing. All of it. COULD Peter Jackson have made it simpler? Yeah, he could have. But he didn't. He choose to create something more, using material not only in the Hobbit book, but also from Tolkien's larger story.

As I am re-reading the book, I am amazed at how much detail PJ put in...for instance, in the battle with the Wargs, he mentions how angry the orcs were because a flaming pine cone burned the chief Warg's nose. In the fight, there is a very clear shot of a burning pine cone hitting the Warg's nose and the Warg reacting in extreme pain.

I think much of the initial negative reaction comes from getting used to the fact that this is NOT the simple children's tale that the book is...but part of a much larger story. And it is so great to be BACK in Middle Earth. With a bang!

I finally heard Bilbo say "Confusticate and bebother these dwarves!" I thought they'd left it out!
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

JewelSong wrote:I think much of the initial negative reaction comes from getting used to the fact that this is NOT the simple children's tale that the book is.
And I think much of the negative reaction comes from it not being a very good movie. ;)
-The Decemberists

JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

yovargas wrote: And I think much of the negative reaction comes from it not being a very good movie. ;)
Well, obviously I disagree with you, yov.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Since you were speaking for a group I am a part of, I felt like my 2 cents were worth throwing back in there.
-The Decemberists