The Desolation of Smaug anticipation thread [SPOILERS]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Smaug's voice wrote::abducted:

Argument invalid earth-ling. 8)
Your spaceship is no match for the pancake bunny, and it's big, sharp nasty teeth!

:pancake:
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Cat ate the rabbit.

:playful:
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:A video on the making of that "book":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy8oMQkUYhs#t=11
While I love this, I am worried too.

Imo, one of the reasons AUJ fell flat among the critics was because I think they created too much hype. Especially the Wellington premiere.

Let's hope this does not do that.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Smaug's voice wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:A video on the making of that "book":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy8oMQkUYhs#t=11
While I love this, I am worried too.

Imo, one of the reasons AUJ fell flat among the critics was because I think they created too much hype. Especially the Wellington premiere.

Let's hope this does not do that.
And one of the other reasons AUJ fell flat among the critics is that it wasn't that good of a movie. :)
Beutlin

SPOILER

Post by Beutlin »

Azog will fight Gandalf.

Source: Manu Bennett on the red carpet.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm watching the premier, and they just revealed a big spoiler:
Hidden text.
The host (who has seen the film) is interviewing Manu Bennett and asked him about fighting with Sir Ian McKellen. So there is fight between Gandalf and Azog. Woohoo!!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I think that was actually revealed more than a year ago by the text on one of the action figures, but so much changed with the orc storyline after that that's it surprising any details are still intact!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Actually what I really dislike about most negative reviews about AUJ is that so
many of them never saw AUJ's core material and story.

Nearly everyone wrote paragraphs on how HFR sucks and the three film split but just a few lines actually commenting on the film. If you reviewed gravity, would you spend so much time commenting on the 3D and so little on the actual film?

I also get the idea that many were expecting an LotR rerun. Otherwise, I don't understand the disappointment with the slow start. Imo, they had made up their mind to come down heavily on the film beforehand i.e. Backlash.
Last edited by Smaug's voice on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

To Luke Evans: "You're quite an archer in this movie." Is that a sign that Bard does in fact shoot Smaug in this film?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Beutlin wrote:Azog will fight Gandalf.
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Hidden text.
The host (who has seen the film) is interviewing Manu Bennett and asked him about fighting with Sir Ian McKellen. So there is fight between Gandalf and Azog. Woohoo!!
And here we can see examples of the two different approaches to distributing spoilers. :D
Voronwë the Faithful

On the other hand: Luke says his favorite scene "in the second movie" is his bringing the Dwarves to Laketown in the boat. Surely if his killing of Smaug was in the film, that would be his favorite scene.
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

Dave_LF wrote:
Beutlin wrote:Azog will fight Gandalf.
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Hidden text.
And here we can see examples of the two different approaches to spoilers. :D
In my defense this thread is titled "The Desolation of Smaug anticipation thread [SPOILERS]".
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

A fair argument as far as I'm concerned, but it was still funny to see them side by side.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I'm watching the premier, and they just revealed a big
spoiler:
Hidden text.
The host (who has seen the film) is interviewing Manu Bennett
and asked him about fighting with Sir Ian McKellen. So there is fight
between Gandalf and Azog. Woohoo!!
What premiere? Are you watching the movie now??!!!
Voronwë the Faithful

Beutlin, that's funny! Needless to say, I didn't see your post. And yes, the thread does have a Spoiler warning
Voronwë the Faithful

Aiden Turner confirms that his relationship with Tauriel is just flirtatious.

And there have been several references to how long the scene between Bilbo and Smaug is. Yay!
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

The interviewer speaks of a love-triangle (Kili-Tauriel-Legolas) but Aidan Turner questions Legolas' involvement.

EDIT: This time Voronwë beat me.

PS: The interviewer reveals too much IMO.
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

Peter Jackson's daughter Katie is a barmaid in the film. Her father will cameo in the same scene.
Voronwë the Faithful

Most likely a confirmation of the return of the carrot man. PJ is being interviewed along with his daughter and the confirm that they are in the same scene together, and PJ says "she is a barmaid,"
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

And those would be two of the four new characters who had to be costumed for Bree, I'd say.