The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Primula Baggins »

Frelga wrote:Male rights activists. I wouldn't want an innocent angiogram to be ticked off.
Oh, right, the guys who believe that men have no rights if women have any. It's not just a zero-sum game; it's binary.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

MAD MAX: YAAASSSSSSS

A general comment, I am confused that movie earned a R-rating in the US. It contains very little gore, no sex, no nudity, and almost no cursing. Lots of people die but no more violently than your typical action movie. I don't get it. :scratch:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I saw WOMAN IN GOLD today (with my amazing 92yo father-in-law)--about Marie Altmann's attempts to get the Klimt paintings stolen from her family by the Nazis back from Austria. The heroine is played by Helen Mirren. Who is perfect. Oh my heavens, I worship at the feet of Helen Mirren!
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

So apparently in the Mad Max movie, all those trucks were really constructed and working. Including this one

The PA system was working, the guitar could actually both play and shoot flames, and the guy was actually playing at 70mph. I think I'll see this at some point, if just for that. Getting a bit tired of the CGI everything.

That Insane ‘Mad Max’ Flame-Throwing Guitar Is No CGI Trick — Here’s How They Actually Made It
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The Guitar Guy was my favorite insanity in the whole insane thing. :D

was there a concern that a bungee-jumping flame-thrower guitar playing blind mutant in a red onesie riding a car made of amps might be one element too much?
:rofl:
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, and the reply was, basically, "No, why?"
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Saw the Avengers. I agree with the NPR review I heard weeks ago: sloppy story-telling, great one-liners, and so big and loud you really don't/can't care about the sloppy story-telling. That said, I feel like I would've had a better handle on the plot if I were more diligent with the rest of the Marvel movies. Apparently, if you haven't been following Captain America it's hard to keep track of this one. But I was entertained and that's the point of that sort of movie.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

River wrote: That said, I feel like I would've had a better handle on the plot if I were more diligent with the rest of the Marvel movies.
I've watched all these silly movies and as I said before, I was pretty confused for a lot of this. The story was just a mess.
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I am old and behind the times, and I only now just saw the Tom Cruise SF movie Oblivion, and I have to say I enjoyed it very much. It got very mixed reviews and, well, Cruise, meh, and so I let it go by me; but a longtime friend with no particular SF experience told me how she and her husband watched it TEN TIMES over a weekend to make sure they'd figured it all out, and that it was absorbing and excellent.

So I watched it while Mr. Prim was out of town, as my Secret Indulgence (he stops movies to complain or observe or speculate, which I figured would drive me nutz with this one).

And it really is excellent, intelligent science fiction, if I'm any judge. Visually great, excellent effects, very good acting including Mr. Cruise. And although I didn't need ten or even two viewings to follow it (the twists were excellent, but they were always in my mental universe of possibilities), it was a really fun and, in the end, satisfying ride. It was well made (some of the visuals were astonishing, and the characters were sympathetic and involving). And it was filmed SF that actually calls for the same skills as good written SF: gathering the clues as the incluing occurs, forming a guess, seeing whether it's borne out.

My advantage over my friend is that I'm a professional <blows dust off knuckles>; otherwise she's much smarter and more sophisticated than me. But, in any case, I liked this film a lot, and I recommend it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I saw the first Avengers with only the first 2 Iron Man movies for background, and it was fun. Seeing Thor and the Captain America movies certainly clarified a lot. Including relatively minor points, like the irony of Steve Rogers saying that they got their orders when he was breaking rules left and right in his own movie. Or the much bigger character points of him basically having died two weeks before and losing everything he knew and loved, or Tony's father having spent more time searching for Steve's body than with his own son. Without that background, they just look like two donkey pits.

Saw Furious 7 today. Basically, Tom and Jerry with cars, but very entertaining. The tagline for this movie should have been "Wait, why? Oh, never mind."

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Prim, I saw that one a while ago and thought it was pretty good, too. I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, but this was all right. (I liked the one that was the sci-fi Groundhog Day better. What was the name of that? :scratch: )

I think if I decide I want to have some brain candy San Andreas might not be bad, but I think I'll see Spy first.

Has anyone seen Pitch Perfect 2? Any good? I liked the first one quite a bit.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Edge of Tomorrow is the film you're thinking of Lali.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm going to check out Edge of Tomorrow (although the title makes me snicker because it sounds like the title of daytime soap opera to me). I remember it got some excellent reviews when it came out, and again I let it go by because it was a Tom Cruise movie.

I'm hearing very good things about Pitch Perfect 2, Lali—some reviewers saying it's better than the first, which they liked a lot.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

On a slightly different note, watched Still Alice with Beth. Pretty intense film. Julianne Moore certainly deserved her Oscar!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I can't watch that.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Why are so many recent female-centric movies about women going away, one way or another?

I took advantage of me boys going to a baseball game to watch What's Your Number. Would be hard to explain why I'm watching it, when clearly the point of the movie was to show as much Chris Evans as legally possible. :w00t: It was actually quite watchable even apart from that, with Evans being warm and charming, plus cameos from Bilbo, Spock, Falcon and Star-lord.

Plus, this happened

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Primula Baggins wrote:I can't watch that.
It was not my choice, believe me.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

No, certainly not. :(

:hug:
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

What's it about?

And, yes, Al, that was it! Let me know what you think, Prim.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

From what I've read, it's about an intelligent woman in her fifties, an academic, who is diagnosed with Alzheimer's. And what happens. :(