TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Maria
Hobbit

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Maria »

Frelga wrote: It doesn't detract from the show, but it is frustrating to realize that we'll never know.
Where Joss Whedon is involved, the the story might continue. There are comic book continuations of Firefly, Buffy and Angel.

I can't really get into comic books, it turns out, but we have a few of them.
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

Agent Carter was an awesomely entertaining show. You can't take your eyes off of Atwell, she is mesmerizing as Peggy Carter.

They ended it with somewhat of a cliffhanger, but nothing too frustrating.

People are trying to get it back on Netflix:

https://www.change.org/p/netflix-save-a ... to-netflix

I signed it, but I think it's a futile effort.

I cant believe they cancelled it! I liked the short season (6 episodes), and it seemed like a good mid-season break. Well, networks are notorious for not listening to me.

At least they renewed Supergirl, but moved it to the CW (and now shooting in Vancouver).
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Netflix is now the home of a bunch of Marvel shows, plus soon the entire Marvel/Disney catalog. It may make sense for them.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
eborr

Post by eborr »

If you like odd comic book adaptions as opposed to the flash, Amazon have just released the first episode of the Preacher with the guy who was Howard Stark in the MCU as the title role and Ruth Negga, the girl in the flower dress from Agents of Shield as the female lead. I ought to warn you it is quite violent, but I found it a very credible interpretation of the comics, it is suitably weird

www.denofgeek.com › TV › News
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Did anyone else watch the BBC miniseries "The Casual Vacancy" or read the book it was based on?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

By J. K. Rowling? The book sounded intriguing, but not enough my kind of thing to make me pick it up. I haven't heard of the miniseries—they take a year or two to cross the Atlantic (to the USA), which is much more time than it takes in a rowboat. :( How was it?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I thought it was great!

You might enjoy the book, actually - Rowling really goes to bat for the underprivileged classes in Britain.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

My daughter read it and enjoyed it, recommended it to me, but I haven't yet. Perhaps I will. It somehow doesn't draw me.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Has she watched the miniseries?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Which miniseries?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

There was a miniseries based on The Casual Vacancy. It's quite good.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I had no idea, but then, I watch so very little teev.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I'm going through "The Expanse" again, and it is just as good the second time. I just got to see the part in the 4th episode where they are running and lose gravity.... that scene is just AWESOME! That point is where I was hooked the first time through and it is just as impressive the second time. :)

Best zero gee maneuver EVER!

I'm kind of upset we can't get subtitles to work on the blu ray- so some bits of the dialogue are quite undecipherable to me- but otherwise I have absolutely no complaints about it. I'm so tempted to go ahead and listen to the books before the series is over....
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I've read all the books and novellas, and if anything, it helped me enjoy the show even more. It's a complicated universe (even more so in the books), and it helped to already know the background. I was impressed that the show took the same classic SF approach as the book—assuming that the reader/viewer was intelligent enough to put together what was going on with almost nothing in the way of an info dump. It's very hard to do that, especially with a realistically complex world.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

OK, you've convinced me! The audio sample of the first bit of the first chapter already added quite a bit of depth. "Leviathan Wakes" will be our next book. We've still got 19 hours to go on the current one, though, so it'll be a couple of weeks. Some books we get enthused about and listen to in all our spare time together. The current book, "The Broken Eye" just hasn't captured our hearts that way yet, even though we are 10 hours in already. :bang: We only listen while commuting for that one.
eborr

Post by eborr »

I had no idea there was a TV series of the expanse, I am listening to it on audible, and must admit to being hooked on the first two books - just started the third
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's on the Syfy (it hurts my fingers to type that) channel in the U.S., and I think it might be the best science fiction TV series and one of the best book-to-TV adaptations I've ever seen. It's worth seeking out. They're only part of the way through the first book at the end of season 1 (10 episodes), so there are no spoilers for you. It's been renewed for another season.

The authors of the book (two men writing under one name) are involved in the show.
eborr

Post by eborr »

Unfortunately it's not been shown in the UK or indeed yet has a date on which it might be shown, I guess there is the option to buy a blu-ray. Bit surprising in that we have a SyFy channel here. Oh well I will just have to go back to Dork Matter.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I watched it all and am currently reading the books. I'm on the third book, Abbadon Gate, now. I also read the short stories and novellas that appear chronologically. I'm loving the books, and loved the TV series. Its very clever how they pulled in characters from the second book into the timeline of the first for the TV series. I love all the science stuff, but its a pity they weren't able to find a way to show the physical differences between Belters and Earthers properly. Still, that's a really minor nitpick.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Okay, I've finished the second viewing of season 1 of The Expanse... and I did notice one very minor technical flaw.

Things fall too fast on Ceres and Eros.

The surface gravity of Earth is 9.807 m/s².
The surface gravity of Ceres is 0.27 m/s², or about 1/36th of Earth.
The surface gravity of Eros is 0.0059 m/s², or about 1/1662 of Earth.

If you drop something from a meter high on Earth, it hits the ground in a split second.
If you drop something from a meter high on Ceres, it'll hit the ground in a little over one second (if I'm doing the math right).
If you drop something from a meter high on Eros, it'll hit the ground in just under three seconds.

That's not shown in the fight scenes. People fall Earth fast. Footfalls are heavy. People don't bounce as much as you'd think they would. And a fresh arrival from Earth ought to have LOTS more muscle than the Belters. He ought to be 36 times stronger than a Ceres born person, don't you think?

And there are two scenes on both Ceres and Eros where something is either dropped or poured, and a portrayal of coriolis force is shown (which is kinda cool but I have no idea whether or not that would really happen) They do slow that down a tad, but I'd have to go back and time the stream of fluid to see if they got the speed of descent right--- and that's where I quit. My interest flags at doing that.

Still, the gravity thing is a very minor quibble. I'm quite pleased with the series so far.

edited to add a link to an image of rotation of Eros
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_ ... 4_2000.gif