2016 United States Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Griffon64

Re: 2016 United States Election

Post by Griffon64 »

As a registered no party preference voter I am also interested in seeing rising numbers of people who reject the candidates from both parties. And in this particular election, I would like to think that there can be better choices for POTUS than the two candidates on offer. Between the two Hillary Clinton is way preferable, but that still doesn't mean I like her at all.

To me the fact that these two candidates are what the establishment political system offer means that the system no longer works for the people, as it should. I mean, in the eight years - eight years! - that they had to lick their wounds, analyze the error of their ways, figure out the lay of the land, and build a new platform, the GOP ended up throwing Ted Cruz out there? And got themselves thoroughly hijacked by Donald Trump?

And in that same eight years the Democrats were content to close ranks tightly around Hillary Clinton with apparently no second choice in the wings? Bernie Sanders gave her a really good run for her money.

In my opinion, the place where GOP and Dems alike need to look is the intersection of the Trump platform and the Sanders platform. The electorate at large is sick and tired of two things: stressful economic prospects and oblivious politicians. Watch out in the next election if they don't spend these four years working for the people instead of fighting each other inside their beltway bubble.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

If the election of these two candidates don't cause the 2-party system to begin collapsing, I doubt anything ever will.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

It does seem like the moment in time when the idea of a third party could move from the realm of wishful thinking to viability. But the discontent would have to be harnessed and sustained beyond this election season.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Leaving logistics aside for the moment, WHAT third party? Who is it supposed to represent? Possibly the Libertarian party could be an option for the Republicans who are not in line with the religion-driven, reactionary social policies promoted by the Republican platform, but where does it leave the progressive voters?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

With Bernie Sanders, who to my understanding has been an independent most of my career.

I don't really want a third party. I want a system where it's realistically feasible for independents to successfully run for high offices.
-The Decemberists

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Bernie Sanders has been quite clear in his decision to strive for change from within the Democratic Party. I recall him pledging at some point in the campaign that he would hereafter be affiliated with the Democrats. I'm not sure if this means that he will run as a Democrat rather than as an independent in any future campaigns. I'd rather he could have remained an independent, but he could only have brought his issues to the fore by challenging Clinton as a Democrat, so maybe he feels obligated to continue as one.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, there's one thing I found in the Republican platform that I approve.

"BREAKING: Republican Party's platform calls for reinstating the 1933 Glass-Steagall Act separating commercial and investment banking."

Unless I'm thinking about the wrong law. Anyone knows where the Democrats are on that?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

No, you are thinking of the right law. The Democratic platform also calls for restoring Glass-Steagall, even though Clinton herself is lukewarm to the idea. The difference is that a majority of Democrats in Congress actually would vote for restoring Glass-Steagall, whereas very few GOP members of either house would vote to do so. Moreover, the GOP platform contradictorily also calls for repealing the Dodd-Frank law regulating the banking industry.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Thanks, V. I saw the blurb on Twitter, and could not investigate from the office.

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

I'm skeptical of the idea that third parties will enjoy greater viability growing forward. The FPTP electoral system breeds two party systems. From a historical perspective we're already overdue for a party realignment, which I think the current struggles of the GOP as an institution will contribute to, but the most probably outcome is the Democratic and Republican parties carry on, just with somewhat different coalitions and ideological makeups.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Whoa. Melania Trump spoke tonight, and one section of her speech was clearly, indisputably lifted from Michelle Obama's speech at the 2008 convention.

Here's a deadly side-by-side comparison of one part of that section, as posted on CNN:

http://cnn.it/29UIjPL

ETA: And the Washington Post has an article up, with video: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... s-in-2008/

What's more, the speech contained a definite, blatant rickroll. This makes me think that someone on staff who was working on it sabotaged the speech.

EATA: By which I meant to say, I am sorry for her; I strongly doubt she had any idea. She, and her husband's campaign, are victims here of incompetence at least, and most likely malice.
Attachments
Cns-WnhWAAAiJwg.jpg-large.jpeg
Cns-WnhWAAAiJwg.jpg-large.jpeg (24.66 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I suspect this will be turned to Trump's hand, actually. He'll point at media victimising his wife for something that wasn't her fault - crying victim again and blaming insiders.

Posting on phone via Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Eldorion wrote:The FPTP electoral system breeds two party systems.
What is FPTP?
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

First Past the Post?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

yov, you should read this long Facebook rant from LGBT activist Dan Savage. It is probably the best discussion of third parties that I have seen.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/ray-ever ... 5640699808
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Considering my general opinion about political parties (they're dumb), you may not be surprised to hear my reaction to that post (it's dumb).
-The Decemberists

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I saw the headlines about plagiarism -- can it be that all the fuss is about these two simple phrases?

'He will never, ever give up. And most importantly, he will never, ever let you down.'

These are two very common ideas (never give up, never let you down), the use of 'never, ever' for emphasis is very common, juxtaposing 'up, down' would be an appealing device for any speaker.

I think attaching plagiarism accusations to such banal phrases is unbelievably silly and pretentious. As if there were something original or noteworthy in the utterances to begin with . . . Geez.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Cerin, it was a good bit more than just two phrases. (Not that I care at all asides from finding it weird and funny.)
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

yovargas wrote:Considering my general opinion about political parties (they're dumb), you may not be surprised to hear my reaction to that post (it's dumb).
If you are waiting for people to make a difference without any association with any political parties, you will be waiting a long time.