The Middle-earth 1200

An exhaustive compilation of the characters of Tolkien's legendarium, in order of importance, by Dân o Nandor on Anduin
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

Re: The Middle-earth 1200

Post by Dân o Nandor on Anduin »

Thanks, and as you can see, I had to edit again to correct the fact I had his racial designation in the plural rather than in the singular. :oops: Obviously having a bad day!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:hug:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

#320 Primula Brandybuck>Baggins, mother of Frodo (f) – hobbit
She’s the first character to appear that receives points from the initial thread inspiring this list. ‘Primula Baggins’ herself voted to include her namesake to the thread, on the supposition that she was cast to raise Frodo to be the saviour that he became – the ‘Mother Mary element’ if you will. Drogo has already appeared just shy of the top 400. Of course the most important thing both of them did to advance the story was to die, leaving Frodo orphaned. But since it remains unclear who is to blame for that critical event, perhaps that is why both Primula & Drogo fail to crack the top 300. [TG:11,EoA:1,WK:1,RF:5,JT:4,L:2,H6:6,HF:20=50pts,20indx.pgs]

#319 Brego son of Eorl, 2nd King of Rohan – rohirrim king
He became King at the age of 33 on the death of his father Eorl in 2545 T.A. During his rule the migration of the Éothéod to Calenardhon continued. Brego also defended the borders of Rohan against the Dunlendings & Easterlings, and drove the remaining Orcs off the Wold. It was he that built the Golden Hall of Meduseld, and made Edoras the capital of Rohan. Baldor, his eldest son, went into the Paths of the Dead never to be heard from again, and Brego died of grief the next year at the age of 58. He was succeeded by his 2nd son Aldor in 2570. [TG:16,EoA:1,WK:4,RF:5,JT:8,LR:2,UT:2,H7:4,H8:6,H12:2=50pts,24indx.pgs]

#318 Brodda the Easterling – easterling warrior
He became the lord of Hithlum after Morgoth captured the land, and took to wife Aerin, kinswoman of Húrin, against her will. When Túrin returned in 495 F.A., he learned from Aerin that his mother Morwen fled Hithlum. In his rage he killed Brodda, thereby also sealing Aerin's fate, who apparently burnt herself alive in their hall. [TG:13,EoA:1,WK:5,RF:4,JT:4,MD:1,DK:1,SL:3,CoH:2,UT:6,H2:2,H4:2,H5:2,H11:4=50pts,37indx.pgs]

#317 Handir, 5th Chieftain of the Haladin – 2nd house adan chieftain
He became the leader of the Haladin after his father Haldir fell in the rearguard of Fingon’s host during its retreat from the Anfauglith. He married Beldis of the 1st House of the Edain, and they fathered Brandir the Lame. Handir was said to be a man of great prowess in battle, but was slain north of Brethil by a company of Orcs. [TG:10,EoA:2,WK:1,RF:3,JT:4,DK:1,SL:3,CoH:2,UT:4:H4:6,H5:4,H11:10=50pts,47indx.pgs]

#316 Morwen Steelsheen of Lossarnach, mother of Théoden (f) – gondorian dúnadan queen
Having many of the characteristics of her namesake, this Morwen of the kin of Dol Amroth is certainly notable in her own right. Her husband Thengel, 17yrs her elder, chose to live with her in Lossarnach until he became King upon the death of Fengel. Morwen bore 3 additional children other than Théoden & Théodwyn, and was called Steelsheen due to her grace. [TG:17,EoA:5,WK:3,RF:6,JT:15,LR:1,UT:4=51pts,3indx.pgs]

#315 Nimloth, wife of Dior Eluchíl (f) – sinda queen
This daughter of Galathil and niece of Celeborn married Dior son of King Thingol in 497 F.A. Nimloth lived with Dior for a time by the waterfall at the base of the Blue Mts. There she bore Elwing, Eluréd & Elurín. After the murder of Thingol in 504, she returned to Doriath with Dior, becoming Queen. Their reign was short-lived, as the Sons of Fëanor assaulted Menegroth and slew them both at the 2nd Kinslaying, leaving Eluréd & Elurín to die in the forest. Elwing of course escaped to the Havens of Sirion to perpetuate the line. [TG:21,EoA:2,WK:2,RF:5,JT:4,DK:2,SL:3,UT:4,H11:8=51pts,12indx.pgs]

#314 Ted Sandyman, son of Sandyman the Miller – hobbit miller
He was likely inspired by the Sarehole miller's son in Warwickshire, whom Tolkien admitted he “never liked the looks of”. From Carpenter’s Biography: "There were two millers [at Sarehole Mill], father and son. The old man had a black beard, but it was the son who frightened the boys with his white dusty clothes and sharp-eyed face. Ronald named him 'the White Ogre'. When he yelled at them to clear off they would scamper away from the yard..." [TG:20,EoA:1,WK:1,RF:4,JT:11,LR:2,H2:2,H6:6,H7:2,H9:2=51pts,15indx.pgs]

#313 Belladonna Took>Baggins, mother of Bilbo (f) – hobbit
She had 8 older brothers (& 1 younger); and was the eldest of the 3 remarkable daughters of the Old Took, along with Donnamira & Mirabella. Of course it’s the fact that she married Bungo Baggins, who built her Bag End (partly with her money) and bore their only son, which earns her this spot amongst a few other notable women. Again it was Carpenter who noted that Tolkien’s own mother was one of 3 remarkable daughters of John Suffield who lived to be nearly 100. Belladonna died 8yrs after Bungo at age 82, and 7yrs before Bilbo’s adventure. [TG:29,EoA:2,WK:2,RF:4,JT:3,MD:2,JR:4,LR:1,H6:4=51pts,16indx.pgs]

#312 Halmir, 3rd Chieftain of the Haladin – 2nd house adan chieftain
Born in 390 F.A., he was the son of Haldan, and lord of the House of Haleth at the time of the Dagor Bragollach. After that battle, with Orcs roaming unhindered in West Beleriand, Halmir called upon the aid of Thingol, who sent him warriors under the command of Beleg. Together, they destroyed the invading Orcs, halting the threat for a time. Halmir joined the Union of Maedhros but died in 471 before the next battle. He was succeeded as leader of the Haladin by his son Haldir. [TG:14,EoA:4,WK:8,RF:5,JT:1,DK:1,SL:2,CoH:2,UT:2,H3:2,H4:4,H11:6=51pts,20indx.pgs]

#311 *Andreth the Wise (f) – 1st house adan
Nearing the top ten remaining asterisked characters, I ask what the legendarium would be without Andreth? Suffice it to simply quote Arda Reconstructed in summing her up: “The Athrabeth is one of Tolkien’s most moving and powerful texts. In addition to including some of his most profound spiritual and philosophical reflections, it contains some of the best dialogue that Tolkien ever wrote. It reveals the depth of character of both Finrod and Andreth (the Wise woman of the Edain who was befriended by Finrod, and who hopelessly loved his brother Aegnor), as well as the depth of the relationships that they share with each other and with Aegnor”. Andreth was a daughter of Boromir of Ladros, lord of the 1st House. In her youth, she dwelt in the house of her uncle Belemir, learning the lore of the House of Marach from his wife, the wisewoman Adanel. During the Siege of Angband Aegnor saw her in the reflection of Aeluin and they fell in love. However, no marriages could happen during times of war according to the Laws of the Eldar. But for her sake, Aegnor would not take any Elven bride, and both remained unwed and childless. Andreth gained in knowledge, and as she grew older she was respected as a wisewoman after Adanel. She also developed a close friendship with Aegnor's brother King Finrod. He often visited her during the Siege to converse with her on the matters of Elves & Men; one such conversation of course written down as the ‘Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth’. (Kane also mentions the fact that in a late note Tolkien attributes a part of the Second Prophecy to Andreth). [TG:20,WK:8,MD:2,DK:1,H10:10,H11:4,H12:6=51pts,62indx.pgs]

glossary:

*=as in CT's indexing in UT (ie. characters not appearing in Hobbit/LotR/AdvTB/Sil)
@=guest at Bilbo’s Farewell Party
(f)=female (n)=neutral

POINTS - for ENTRIES: TG=Tolkien Gateway,EoA=Encyclopedia of Arda,WK=Wikipedia,RF=Robert Foster’s Complete Guide to Middle-earth,JT=J.E.A. Tyler’s Tolkien Companion,DD=David Day’s A-Z of Tolkien; for INDICES: LR=Lord of the Rings,SL=Silmarillion,UT=Unfinished Tales,HX=History of Middle-earth Vol.X,LT=Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien,HC=Humphrey Carpenter’s Biography,JG=John Garth’s Tolkien and the Great War,JR=John Rateliff’s History of The Hobbit,DK=Douglas Kane’s Arda Reconstructed; for both ENTRIES & INDICES: MD=Michael Drout’s Tolkien Encyclopedia; for NAME-LISTS: CoH=Children of Húrin,B1 or B2=the ‘Qenya & Gnomish Lexicons’ from Book of Lost Tales Vols.1&2,FoG=the ‘Fall of Gondolin’ from BoLT Vol.2,LoE=the ‘Line of Elros’ tree & list from UT; MISC: HoF=votes from the Hall of Fire thread that initiated this project + a composite of selected favourite character lists.
Last edited by Dân o Nandor on Anduin on Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

Happy new year, my friend!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Dân o Nandor on Anduin wrote:#320 Primula Brandybuck>Baggins, mother of Frodo (f) – hobbit
I'm a big fan! :cheers:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Me, too! :cheers: (I didn't realize when I picked my name on TORC back in 2002 that there were other Primula Bagginses active on other Tolkien boards; by the time I did know it, I'd been posting for several years under that name. I was not so original as I'd thought!)

I like the name because it's never used in the text of LotR, but she was nevertheless important to the story—even if only through her absence from it! (Entirely accidental, I maintain; it was Drogo and Primula's shared fault for messing about in boats in the first place.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

Thanks all for the continued support, keeps this thing going after all! ;)

#310 Argeleb II, 10th King of Arthedain – arnorian dúnadan king
He succeeded his father at the age of 116 on Araphor’s death in 1589 T.A. It was Argeleb II who granted the unpopulated royal hunting grounds to the halflings Marcho & Blanco and their followers. Story-wise, having given the Shire to the Hobbits, he probably should rank even higher. But this list is 96.3% objective, and since no one thought to vote for him on the initial thread, or the few other subjective lists I used, he’s just shy of the top-quarter. The Great Plague, the continuing threat of Angmar, and the onset of the Barrow-Wights, were other notable events during his reign. Argeleb II ruled 81yrs until his death in 1670 at the age of 197, and was succeeded by his son Arvegil. [TG:22,EoA:5,WK:6,RF:4,JT:10,LR:1,H12:4=52pts,10indx.pgs]

#309 *Telimektar, son of Tulkas – ainu warrior
Only 10 asterisked characters will remain after Telimektar to grace the top 300. I was careful to scale back points resulting from the indexation of the star-constellation (Orion) which bears the same name, and early in the mythology was considered one-&-the-same with this child of a Vala. His entries in the ‘Lost Tales’ lexicons & Tolkien Gateway helps prop him up. Telimektar fought at his father's side against Melkor, and he had "a long sword girt about his waist by a silver girdle… his face and weapons gleam as silver in the dark… he has diamonds on his sword-sheath, and this will go red when he draws his sword at the Great End". Obviously Telimektar was an integral part of the earliest framework of the legendarium, along with Ingil son of Ingwë, who appeared here not long ago. It was they who kept watch over the exiled Morgoth, as the heavenly bodies Orion & Sirius, until the end of days. (Had I been a little more liberal with Ingil’s Sirius/Nelluin references, the High Prince of All Elves probably would’ve been right here alongside his companion). One of Telimektar’s final mentions is by Manwë, who tells that Sirius is "nigh the foot of Telimektar son of Tulkas whose tale is yet to tell". But it was yet another tale unfortunately never told… [TG:25,JG:1,H1:4,B1:16,H2:4,H4:2=52pts,12indx.pgs]

#308 Aragorn I, 5th Chieftain of the Dúnedain – arnorian dúnadan chieftain
He was born in 2227 T.A. and succeeded his father Aravir who died in 2319. Aragorn I reigned during the Watchful Peace, and little is known of that time in the North. His major claim to fame, and a probable reason for inflated points, is of course in lending his name to his distant descendant. Aragorn I was killed by wild wolves in 2327 at the age of 100, after having ruled only 8yrs, and was succeeded by his son Araglas. [TG:18,EoA:11,WK:6,RF:3,JT:1,DD:11,LR:1,H12:2=53pts,4indx.pgs]

#307 Boromir, 11th Ruling Steward of Gondor – gondorian dúnadan ruling-steward
Speaking of name inflation, this Boromir succeeded his father Denethor I upon his death in 2477 T.A. Boromir at age 67 inherited a realm under siege by Uruk-hai. He was a great captain whom the Witch-king even feared, and fought several campaigns to win back Ithilien. Though successful in the end, Osgiliath was ruined and its stone-bridge broken. Boromir also received a Morgul-wound in the war, numbering his days so that he ruled a mere 12yrs, dying a painful death in 2489 when he was succeeded by his son Cirion. [TG:20,EoA:10,WK:4,RF:6,JT:10,LR:1,H12:2=53pts,6indx.pgs]

#306 Artamir, son of King Ondoher of Gondor – gondorian dúnadan prince
Prince Artamir was the son of King Ondoher, and the elder brother of Faramir & Firiel. Unfortunately Gondor was at war during their time, and the King and both sons were killed outside the Black Gate from an assault from the East. The King’s nephew Minohtar, who would have been in line for the throne, was also slain leading the retreat. The result was that Gondor was left without a legitimate heir. Artamir gets most of his points here from Tolkien Gateway & Encyclopedia of Arda, largely due to commentary on the above circumstances; the latter even stating “the loss of Artamir was a turning point in the history of Middle-earth”. As such, it should probably be his younger brother Faramir’s decision to accompany the army in disguise, and against policy, which was the real turning point. Faramir appeared back at #444, and Ondoher will appropriately appear closer to #200. [TG:26,EoA:12,WK:1,RF:3,JT:4,LR:1,UT:4,H12:2=53pts,7indx.pgs]

#305 Aldor the Old, 3rd King of Rohan – rohirrim king
He was the 2nd son of King Brego, but became heir when his older brother Baldor vanished in the Paths of the Dead. When Brego died of grief in 2570 T.A., Aldor became King. During his reign the remaining Dunlendings east of the Isen were driven out, Harrowdale and other valleys were settled, and the population of the Rohirrim grew. Aldor had 3 daughters before his first son was born, and he reigned for 75yrs, the longest of any ruler of Rohan, hence his epithet. When he died in 2645 at the age of 101, he was succeeded by his son Fréa. [TG:15,EoA:7,WK:5,RF:6,JT:11,LR:1,UT:4,H8:2,H12:2=53pts,7indx.pgs]

#304 Amlach son of Imlach – 3rd house adan warrior
He was a grandson of Marach of the 3rd House, and was born in 337 F.A. Amlach’s claim to fame is that he was a pawn of subterfuge by Morgoth. Amlach, along with Bereg of the 1st House, are recorded as being leaders of discontent, unwilling to join the Elves in war against Morgoth. When a council of the Edain was called to debate the issue, Bereg voices his concerns, but then Amlach is seen to rise and speak ‘fell words that shook the hearts of all that heard him… and a shadow of fear fell’. Later however, Amlach denied he was even at the council, leading to the conclusion that Morgoth’s emissaries were present among them, and all the more reason to join with the Elves. Amlach eventually did join them, if purely out of anger towards ‘this Master of Lies’. As for what happened at that council, and why Amlach would not have chosen to be at such an important debate in the first place, especially if he was originally a leader of discontent and confederate of Bereg who goes through with leading followers away, is a mystery at all levels. Tyler, in his entry for Amlach, casts enough doubts to suggest that Amlach maybe was present, and either had a change of heart, or was in fact possessed in some way by Morgoth. Amlach’s eventual fate also remains unknown. [TG:15,EoA:10,WK:1,RF:5,JT:13,SL:3,H11:4,H12:2=53pts,8indx.pgs]

#303 Boromir of Ladros, 4th Lord of the 1st House – 1st house adan lord
He was the great-grandson of Bëor the Old, and may have been present at the council mentioned above (Bereg being a first-cousin, and all 3, including Amlach, born within 3yrs). Boromir, however, was the eldest son of Boron 3rd Lord of the 1st House, and he himself became Lord in 408 F.A. on Boron’s death. He was also given the region of Ladros in 410 by the Elves, since his House had long been loyal to them. He lived 94yrs, and he was succeeded by his son Bregor, the father of Barahir, in 432. Notable as well, Andreth the Wise was Boromir's daughter! [TG:29,EoA:7,WK:1,RF:3,JT:3,SL:2,H5:2,H10:2,H11:4,=53pts,9indx.pgs]

#302 Galathilion, the White Tree of Tirion (n)
It was made by Yavanna for the Elves of Tirion in 1142 of the Years of the Trees as an image of Telperion the Silver Tree, but it gave no light. It was known as the White Tree of Tirion, and grew in a high open courtyard beneath the Mindon Eldaliéva, the Tower of Ingwë. It was thus the first in the long line of White Trees of the Children of Ilúvatar. Galathilion had many seedlings in Eldamar, and from it came Celeborn the White Tree of Tol Eressëa, through which it became the ancestor of Nimloth of Númenor and the White Trees of Gondor - a lineage exceeding 10,000yrs! [TG:8,EoA:2,WK:1,RF:8,JT:11,MD:1,DK:2,LR:4,SL:4,H10:8,H12:4=53pts,10indx.pgs]

#301 Narmacil II, 29th King of Gondor – gondorian dúnadan king
He succeeded his father Telumehtar Umbardacil in 1850 T.A. at the age of 166. During Narmacil's reign the Wainriders appeared from the East and assaulted Gondor. Narmacil brought his army into the plains south of Mirkwood and gathered what Northmen he could to meet the threat. However, these new enemies mounted in chariots were stronger, better equipped, and apparently inflamed by emissaries of Sauron. Narmacil was slain north-east of the Morannon in the Battle of the Plains after reigning only 6yrs. The people of southern and eastern Rhovanion were enslaved thereafter while the border of Gondor was withdrawn to the Anduin. Brief & unfortunate was his reign, notable only for being on the losing side of a new powerful enemy, but a fitting personage to close the 3rd quarter of this list! [TG:18,EoA:5,WK:4,RF:3,JT:15,MD:1,LR:1,UT:4,H12:2=53pts,15indx.pgs]

glossary:

*=as in CT's indexing in UT (ie. characters not appearing in Hobbit/LotR/AdvTB/Sil)
@=guest at Bilbo’s Farewell Party
(f)=female (n)=neutral

POINTS - for ENTRIES: TG=Tolkien Gateway,EoA=Encyclopedia of Arda,WK=Wikipedia,RF=Robert Foster’s Complete Guide to Middle-earth,JT=J.E.A. Tyler’s Tolkien Companion,DD=David Day’s A-Z of Tolkien; for INDICES: LR=Lord of the Rings,SL=Silmarillion,UT=Unfinished Tales,HX=History of Middle-earth Vol.X,LT=Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien,HC=Humphrey Carpenter’s Biography,JG=John Garth’s Tolkien and the Great War,JR=John Rateliff’s History of The Hobbit,DK=Douglas Kane’s Arda Reconstructed; for both ENTRIES & INDICES: MD=Michael Drout’s Tolkien Encyclopedia; for NAME-LISTS: CoH=Children of Húrin,B1 or B2=the ‘Qenya & Gnomish Lexicons’ from Book of Lost Tales Vols.1&2,FoG=the ‘Fall of Gondolin’ from BoLT Vol.2,LoE=the ‘Line of Elros’ tree & list from UT; MISC: HoF=votes from the Hall of Fire thread that initiated this project + a composite of selected favourite character lists.
Voronwë the Faithful

Down to the top 300. It's going to be interesting!
Morwenna

Post by Morwenna »

I'm definitely looking forward to it!
Arvegil145

Post by Arvegil145 »

Hello to everyone!

Although I'm new to this forum, I've already been posting stuff on the Barrow-downs under the same nickname...

Now, where to start...well, first off, to the guy who made the list - I just have to say that you have my biggest respect - I can well imagine the amount of effort you put into your work, since I've tried doing something like that (well, kind of) before...the only problem is that I am a natural procrastinator and terrible at consistent and organized work...

With that said...I hope this thread isn't completely dead, since one of my reasons (main reason, to be honest) is to add a few cents of mine, for what they're worth...

I'm not exactly sure if you are ever going to update this list, but if you do, here are some suggestions...

1.) Most, if not all, characters on this list now have a corresponding article on Tolkien Gateway:
- characters from "The Notion Club Papers" (http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Category ... lub_Papers)
- Avranc (http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Avranc)
- most characters from "The Book of Lost Tales" (http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Category ... Lost_Tales)
- probably some others, but the above three are just from the top of my head

2.) There are some characters that, by purpose or not, you have left out of the list:
- Uin (http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Uin)
- Gilfanon of Alqualondë (who is separate character from Gilfanon of Tavrobel)
- Agaldor (chieftain of the people in the northwest of Middle-earth...http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Agaldor)
- Alfred the Great (mentioned several times, both in 'The Lost Road' and 'The Notion Club Papers'...)
- Ælfwine, grandson of Alfred the Great (mentioned in 'The Lost Road'...)
- Ælfwine, a warrior in the Battle of Maldon (mentioned in 'The Lost Road'...)
- Saint Brendan (mentioned both in 'The Lost Road' and 'The Notion Club Papers'...)
- Cunimund (king of the Gepids...mentioned in 'The Lost Road'...)
- Edward the Elder (mentioned - even making an appearance - in 'The Notion Club Papers' and 'The Lost Road'...)
- Maelduin (see Saint Brendan)
- Thurisind, Thurismod (see Cunimund)

3.) And some characters, which, while I may understand the reason why you might have excluded them, still don't think they should be discarded that lightly:
- Bruithwir (yes, he isn't exactly what you think of when you say "canon", but, nonetheless, Ottor Waéfre isn't either...although he could be listed under 'Finwë', I would consider a separate entry, because both him and Finwë existed simultaneously in the Lost Tales)
- Evromord (dubious...but one could posit that Rúmil the Door-ward from the Lost Tales became Evromord, and the name 'Rúmil' became attached to the later iteration of Rúmil - the Elfsage of Valinor...)
- Silmo (likewise dubious...but, although I consider Tilion to be a combination of both Silmo and Ilinsor, they are all nonetheless different on their own...)
- Tevildo (haha...this one is where I'm completely 50/50...on the one hand, you can't deny that Sauron is a spiritual successor of Tevildo in many respects, but nonetheless, Tevildo, as seen in the Lost Tales is a completely different character than Sauron, not to mention that you've already included his servants, one of whom may be considered a proto-Draugluin...)
- Ilinsor (see 'Silmo')
- Tu/Túvo (this one should definitely be included - as a sort of a leader/guru of the Ilkorins/Avari, he is a pretty complex character, morally, compared to Thú/Sauron...)
- Auredhir (I know you have already talked about not including Auredhir...but I would like to hear your reasons for excluding him...)
- Bethos (one could say that, being the father of Tamar/Brandir, he could be considered an early version of Handir, however, I think he is sufficiently different from him to be given a separate entry, or at least one for his wife - an Elven lady...)
- Galweg (a case similar to Bruithwir's...father of Failivrin/Finduilas - he existed simultaneously with Orodreth, who became Finduilas' father in the later mythology...)
- Indor (father of Peleg, father of Tuor - in the early mythology...could be considered an early equivalent of Galdor, Tuor's grandfather (sort of), or be given a separate entry...)
- Ing (king of Luthany...not really sure...)
- Peleg (father of Tuor...see 'Indor')
- Rimion (father of Egnor/Barahir, father of Beren...similar to Indor/Peleg situation...)
- Ogbar, Nargil, Rodrim, Saithnar, Gaurin (names given only in Beleg's "whetting spell" in 'The Lay of the Children of Húrin' - some of them are probably names of certain persons, others might be the names of places, objects, or even entire peoples...)
- Halmir/Haldir (son of Orodreth, hanged by the Orcs...survived in some from or another all the way into the 1950s...)
- Lungorthin (controversial, since it may simply be one of the titles given to Gothmog, but likewise, it may be another, separate Balrog...)
- Delin (son of Gelmir/Finwë...controversial...only mentioned once or twice in the early mythologies...but can't really be equated to either Finarfin or Fëanor, the other two sons of Finwë...)
- Ethlon/Dimlint (a character - or rather a name - mentioned only once in 'The Shaping of Middle-earth'...)
- Fengel/Ear (great-grandfather of Tuor...similar to the entire Indor/Peleg/Rimion situation...could be equated to Hador...)
- Fingár/Findobar/Finbor (son of Fingon...I know that you tossed him out...but still...)
- Finrún Felageómor (the fourth son of Finwë...never mentioned again...controversial...)
- Lúthien/Oleg (see 'Delin')
- Ordhelm, Ordláf (sons of Orodreth...only given names in Old English...COULD be equated, somehow, to the later Haldir and Orodlin...)
- Herendil (could be considered an early version of Isildur...)
- Orodlin (see Halmir/Haldir)
- Gostir (a name of a dragon...mentioned only in 'The Etymologies'...could be just a name for Glaurung...)

So...yeah....that's it for now...I might return later (provided nobody runs away... :cheers: ) after I wade through the volumes 6-12 of HOME...

Of course, this is all just my take on the matter, and I realize this is a top 1200 (well...1205...) - but I think there is a potential for the expansion of this list...(I might even go further than that, so that I include every character from the other writings, like 'The Fall of Arthur', 'Roverandom', etc. but that's an undertaking for later days...if they come indeed...)

Yes, I think I pretty much said everything there is to say...cheers!
Hige sceal þē heardra, heorte þē cēnre,
mōd sceal þē māre, þē ūre mægen lytlað.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Woot - what comments! Welcome. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

This arguably best fits in here but please move if necessary:

1.) Can you name the top 30 characters mentioned in JRR Tolkien's 'The Hobbit'? (https://www.sporcle.com/games/Waterice_ ... bit-top-30)
2.) Can you name the 50 most mentioned characters in the Lord of the Rings trilogy? (https://www.sporcle.com/games/dolebanana/alllotr)
3.) Can you name the 50 characters given the most mentions in J. R. R. Tolkien's work 'The Silmarillion'? (https://www.sporcle.com/games/Sforzando ... characters)?

An even more difficult:

4.) Can you name the Fellowship of the Ring: Characters Mentions (https://www.sporcle.com/games/MrJeanBro ... s-mentions)
5.) Can you name the Two Towers: Character Mentions (https://www.sporcle.com/games/MrJeanBro ... r-mentions)
6.) Can you name the Return of the King: Character Mentions (https://www.sporcle.com/games/MrJeanBro ... r-mentions)

No guarantee that these quizzes are indeed accurate but it is somewhat funny what you miss if you play it (not that I am expecting V to miss anything).