What are you reading?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Frelga »

Audiobooks turned out to be the gateway to reading fiction that I needed.

I finished Gardens of the Moon, first book of Malazan something. It's a respectable sword and sorcery story, but there's more politics than I typically like in my fantasy, lots of world building that never quite gets explained, with made up words, often including apostrophes. It also doesn't have a reader standin character, and it wasn't quite successful at making me care about the central characters.

On the upside, it doesn't have a Dark Lord or a Chosen One, the world is not fake medieval, the plot is engaging and the lack of emotional investment is a plus where I am currently concerned.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm back on the kindle for the most part, reserving audiobooks for activities in which my eyes need to be elsewhere (like cycling or driving or cooking).

On the whole, I prefer my own narrative voice, as many reader interpretations of character and nuance clash with what happens in my head and take me out of the story. Examples: a Librivox reader who pronounces perseverence as perSEVerence, along with other infelicities which felt totally wrong to me, such as randomly assigning Cockney accents or breathy girly voices to characters.

How do you handle such annoyances?
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

By avoiding listening to audiobooks. :P
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

What V said.

Frelga, am glad that series is providing the mix you need right now. How’s Pride & Joy?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I take the words perseveration and PerSEVeration as words with different meanings.
Perseverance/perseveration: to persist often in spite of difficulties. Steadfastness.
PerSEVerance/perSEVeration: is a clinical word used for those with repetitive behaviors often associated with autism.

Or am I spelling something wrong?
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Librivox is a volunteer organization, IIRC. I've listened to a few of their recordings but it's really hit or miss.

I had few complaints about professional audiobooks. Some of them, like those read by Christopher Lee or Neil Gaiman, are an added joy.

I do tend to edit narration in my head if I disagree with it.
Inanna wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:29 amFrelga, am glad that series is providing the mix you need right now. How’s Pride & Joy?
Thank you for asking. He sounded better on the phone, but he also didn't have much time to talk.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

When I first read that question, given what thread this was, I was wondering if there was some sequel to "Pride and Prejudice" that I was not aware of. Then my brain clicked into gear.

I'm glad he sounded better. :hug:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Just read the third book in the Black Iron legacy by Gareth Hanrahan. Really inventive and very different.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/249022 ... ron-legacy
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ah. I’ve read 1 and 2. Should check out 3…

Reading Book 2 of Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland’s D.O.D.O. Series. Interesting and well written.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Finished Whispers Underground, 3rd book of Rivers of London, on Kindle. Engaging, and Pratchett references are a bonus.

Also finished Barrayar on audio book. Again, more political than I usually like, but engaging.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Inanna wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:00 am Ah. I’ve read 1 and 2. Should check out 3…
Out of curiosity, what did you think of them?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I enjoy historical fiction and I'm half-way through 'Hololulu' by Alan Brennert. When I read the tagline it had me hooked.

"In Korea in those days, newborn girls were not deemed important enough to be graced with formal names, but were instead given nicknames, which often reflected the parents' feelings on the birth of a daughter: I knew a girl named Anger, and another called Pity. As for me, my parents named me Regret."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Alatar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:24 pm
Inanna wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:00 am Ah. I’ve read 1 and 2. Should check out 3…
Out of curiosity, what did you think of them?
I don't remember.... I'll have to dive in a bit to recall. But, clearly, no extreme emotions were involved.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Impy, how's your vertigo? Did you ever find out what was causing the issue? I hope you are right as rain. :hug:
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

The vertigo is completely gone - lasted a week. Improving daily from about the third day so doc concluded it was viral as per first diagnosis.

Of course, I had already had a CT scan by then, to cover all bases, which found a totally unrelated blob in my left front parietal lobe. Couldn't tell what it was so a follow up MRI was called for...identified the blob as a cavernoma.

Neurologist next.

Not worried. It's benign, it's not in a critical spot and it's been silent - no symptoms. I'll know more in a week.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful

That is potentially very fortunate that you ended up having the CT scan, which led to early discovery of the cavernoma, so that it can be monitored, to make sure that it does not cause any future problems. :hug:
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm glad you are feeling better and hope the cavernoma (I had to look that up) stays silent. :hug:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:hug: will just sit here with my fingers crossed.
Voronwë the Faithful

RoseMorninStar wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:58 pm I'm glad you are feeling better and hope the cavernoma (I had to look that up) stays silent. :hug:
I had to look it up too.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Looks like the library will take away The Final Empire before I finish it. That's the downside of digital book lending - I can't just keep it a few days, they don't let you renew it if other people are waiting. Ah well.

I heard Sanderson mentioned in the same breath as Tolkien and Pratchett, and just no. He's got a good concept, the set of characters, the system of magic.

But his writing is barebones. He nodded. She shrugged. They walked. And, twice per page, Kelsier smiled. Like, I get it, it's an important bit of a characterization, but twice. Per. Page! And the young heroine is getting on my nerves. More, there's not much depth to the story - it doesn't connect to anything real.