Roe v Wade has been overturned. How do you feel about that?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Roe v Wade has been overturned. How do you feel about that?

Post by Frelga »

Kansas City area health system stops providing Plan B in Missouri because of abortion ban

Bolding mine.
A leading health system in Kansas City is no longer providing emergency contraception in Missouri after the state banned abortion with no exceptions for rape or incest.

Iman Alsaden, medical director of Planned Parenthood Great Plains, condemned Saint Luke’s decision. She emphasized that emergency contraception is not abortion and said Saint Luke’s decision was exactly what the Missouri General Assembly was seeking, which she said was to scare providers and patients into restricting legal care.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Notable:

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I believe that is the most unambiguous statement in favor of eliminating the filibuster for any legislative purpose that Biden has made. But it makes little sense to make an exception for the purposes of "codifying Roe v. Wade" (which is a convenient but not very accurate way of putting it), but not for voting rights.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I think he did earlier call for that exception also? Biden's tweet follows on his having said earlier in the day, "If the filibuster gets in the way, it's like voting rights ... we should require an exception to the filibuster for this action."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:22 pm I think he did earlier call for that exception also? Biden's tweet follows on his having said earlier in the day, "If the filibuster gets in the way, it's like voting rights ... we should require an exception to the filibuster for this action."
While it doesn't belong in this thread - absolutely not. Don't make "exceptions" to the filibuster, just get rid of it. Republicans will use those 'exceptions' to do away with it entirely and blame it on Democrats, all this does is continue to hobble any laws from getting through.

Put abortion rights into federal law
Put marriage equality into federal law
Put LGBTQ+ protections into federal law
Put voting rights into federal law
Re-assert Tribal Sovereignty in federal law
Create EPA laws that explicitly allow them to address climate change
Put independent voting districts into federal law
Remove voting restrictions for felons and put that into federal law
Abolish for-profit prisons and make prison fullness quotas illegal

:pullhair:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

In his Slow Boring newsletter, Matt Yglesias notes an upcoming test of abortion rights in Kansas. In 2019, that state's supreme court ruled that its citizens have a right to personal autonomy. The state's Republicans have put initiative on the ballot to overturn that ruling on August 2, the date of the state's primaries. They're likely to succeed, because there are more Republicans than Democrats and more contested Republican races in Kansas. But nothing is impossible. It may depend on how the pro-choice message is delivered.
Back in May, Marcela Mulholland and McKenzie Wilson from Data for Progress found that the most effective messages were ones that really homed in on libertarian/individualist messages that they did not find personally compelling. But that of course makes sense — what makes the message so good is that while young left-wing women don’t love it, they support abortion rights anyway, and the libertarian theme brings in some center-right voters.
This is the kind of message that was best at persuading:

There's lots more in the piece about which tactics work and which tactics fail.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

There is just no end to the ways criminalizing abortion causes harm.

Abortion Restrictions Could Cause an Ob-Gyn Brain Drain
Abortion skills are “emergency lifesaving skills,” Harris says. And she worries that the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade will have dire consequences not only for pregnant people but also for the doctors who care for them. For the first time in 50 years, many obstetricians will lose their ability to provide their patients with an important type of evidence-based medical care. The shift could send ripple effects through the field for generations.
Meanwhile, we were working with the death certificate data, and our of 5 randomly picked deaths one was from placental abruption.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:56 pm There is just no end to the ways criminalizing abortion causes harm.
Criminalizing abortion opens up the door for criminalizing a miscarriage: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59214544
Criminalizing abortion hampers doctors from treating pregnancy complications including miscarriages: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... scarriages
Criminalizing abortions can directly lead to pregnant women's deaths by restricting treatment for ectopic pregnancies
Criminalizing abortion, as has been already noted, can prevent non-abortive life-saving health care for pregnant women who are denied because "it may harm the fetus"
Criminalizing abortion, as has been already noted, can prevent life-saving health care for non-pregnant women because "they may become pregnant"

On the non-directly-medical side
Criminalizing abortion puts pregnant women at increased risk of violence from partners they cannot escape
Criminalizing abortion puts pregnant women at increased risk of violence from partners who want them to have abortions
Criminalizing abortion lets rapists choose their baby's mother (this was a particular harrowing insight to come across)
Criminalizing abortion deeply impacts abused children who become pregnant and are forced to carry a pregnancy to term
Criminalizing abortion gives women less rights over their body than a corpse has
Criminalizing abortion reduces women to being little more than incubators rather than full human persons in their own right

Most importantly is that criminalizing abortion does not actually prevent abortion - and yet the anti-abortion crowd is largely also against all the other, better methods for preventing unwanted pregnancies that actually do, then, lower abortion rates. The anti-abortion crowd is largely against birth control (which was also targeted in the RvW reversal decision), sex education, access to medical care, access to after-birth care and support, higher wages, access to better and higher education...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Here's another one - criminalizing abortion disenfranchises women as a conviction takes away voting rights in many states

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Columbus Dispatch: "Ohio girl, 10, travels to Indiana to get an abortion because Ohio bans abortion at 6 weeks and she’s 6 weeks & 3 days pregnant."

That' right. They're trying to force 10-year-old girls to give birth.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

And now, an extended practice nurse has been forced to resign over this tweet:

Conservatives on twitter are loosing their minds over this - how DARE she refuse to prescribe something??
I noticed any mention of doctors, nurses or pharmacists refusing to prescribe birth control pills or the morning-after pill due to their personal religious beliefs were conspicuously absent... :nono:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Sunsilver wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:41 am And now, an extended practice nurse has been forced to resign over this tweet:
I assume it was a joke, but by this time, everyone ought to know that you have to be careful of what you say on the internet. People are being fired left and right for saying things that others find offensive. Think before you tweet!

edit

On the other hand, if it's true, of course she must be fired. Do you want liberals being refused medication by conservatives?

The religious example, imo, is different, in that religious belief is specifically protected in the first amendment, while political opinion is not.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I think it was a joke because people don't wear their political affiliation on their sleeve, so how would she know, unless he was wearing a MAGA hat? But boy, it sure backfired on her...
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:29 am Columbus Dispatch: "Ohio girl, 10, travels to Indiana to get an abortion because Ohio bans abortion at 6 weeks and she’s 6 weeks & 3 days pregnant."

That' right. They're trying to force 10-year-old girls to give birth.
The transfer of care was arranged by a doctor who specializes in child abuse. So basically, the Ohio law requires an abused 10 year-old to carry to term if the abuse isn't found before some magic window they concocted. Taken in this light, it looks like certain men and women aren't trying to protect innocent children at all. They're trying to protect a reproductive strategy.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That poor little girl (and others like her or those who are in other equally difficult circumstances). My heart breaks for her/them.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

A lupus patient is being denied a drug that successfully manages her condition. She is not pregnant.

I lost my best friend to lupus when we were 20. It's not a disease you mess with. I am still waiting for the forced-birth crowd to address any of the collateral damage their victory is causing.
i received an email from my rheumatologist today that they are stopping all refills of methotrexate because it is considered an abortifacient.

Methotrexate is a form of chemotherapy. But in reduced quantities it can be taken long term to help with many autoimmune diseases.
Thread starts here

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Wow. Methotrexate is used for many auto-immune diseases and cancers. Hubby's been taking it (along with other meds.) for decades. He'd be crippled (and possibly dead) without it.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Screenshot_20220625-082430.png
Screenshot_20220625-082430.png (363.01 KiB) Viewed 2214 times

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

South Dakota's Republican governor, Kristi Noem, confirms that like Ohio, her state would also force sexually abused ten-year-old girls to give birth.

I call that monstrous. Demonic even. (And yet Kristina Karamo probably agrees with Noem.)
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

For reasons not quite understood (but possibly related to stress) girls are getting their periods earlier than ever, 10-15% before the age of 11. A century ago the average age was 16. An article I read a while back (which I'll partially quote below in case it's behind a paywall) states that a study of young girls from India (but not limited to India) have increasingly been getting their periods as early as the age of 8. This is a frightening thing for a girl who is too young to understand. To be abused and impregnated on top of it.. in a body that is not likely able to handle a pregnancy is cruelty heaped upon brutal savagery. Due to my own personal history this makes me sick to my stomach and is very distressful. Incest/sexual assault from trusted family/friends is far more common than most like to believe it is.
This story was co-published with The Fuller Project.

Before the pandemic, Vaishakhi Rustagi, a Delhi-based pediatric endocrinologist, found that cases of early puberty were pretty uncommon, but not unheard of: In a typical year, she would see about 20 such patients.

Then the pandemic hit, and the cases started to pile up. Since June 2020, Rustagi has seen more than 300 girls experiencing early puberty, she said.

Precocious or early puberty is defined as the development of pubertal changes among children earlier than what is considered normal, which stands at 8 for girls and 9 for boys. It’s known to sometimes be caused by genetic syndromes, a family history of the disease, central nervous system problems, and tumors or growths on the ovaries, adrenal glands, pituitary gland or brain.

The phenomenon of increased cases during the pandemic hasn’t been restricted to India — pediatricians across the world, from Italy to Turkey to the United States — have reported increases in precocious puberty cases. Parents have, too.

When Khyati first noticed blood stains on her daughter’s dress last January, she assumed the child got hurt while playing; after all, at 8 ½ , she didn’t believe there was a chance her daughter could have started menstruating.

Khyati, a 38-year-old stay-at-home mom in Mumbai who is being identified by her first name only to protect her daughter’s identity, told her daughter to change her clothes and check for cuts and scrapes. The child came back crying, afraid of the blood that was now soaking her dress, Khyati said. Over the next few days, the girl grew aloof, refrained from interacting with her family and wept incessantly, Khyati added. Increasingly anxious, Khyati approached a pediatric endocrinologist, and learned that her daughter, a second-grade student, was indeed having her first period. (...)