Andy Serkis releases new Audiobook of LotR and Silmarillion

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Andy Serkis releases new Audiobook of LotR and Silmarillion

Post by Alatar »

I know its not really movie news, but it feels like it fits better here
The new audiobook recording of The Lord of the Rings arrives this month! Here's what Andy Serkis had to say about returning to Middle-earth...

'Walking back into Middle-earth over 20 years after my first life-changing adventure there, and experiencing it all over again (this time for many weeks alone in a sound booth) has brought in equal measures of pure joy, sheer madness, immense pleasure and a level of psychological and physical fatigue I have never quite experienced the like of before.
'I actually feel like I have lived through Tolkien’s saga, and felt his profound understanding of and connection to nature, love, war, truth, hatred and altruism. Each day I genuinely went through ups and downs, often coinciding with the progress of the ring-bearer and his companions. On more than one occasion I was sure I wasn’t going to make it to the Crack of Doom! Having now completed the quest and been 'There and back again... again', so to speak, I realise what a phenomenal privilege it has been to have had the opportunity to read this sublime work once more. My only hope, now, is that I have done it justice, and that the listening experience conveys the power and beauty of J R R Tolkien’s masterpiece.'

Pre-order the new Fellowship of the Ring audiobook: https://smarturl.it/FellowshipAudible
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Andy Serkis releases new Audiobook of LotR

Post by Inanna »

He was astonishingly good in that reading marathon.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Did you listen to the promotional trailer for the audiobook I posted in the Youtube thread? He's quite brilliant.

I want to know if I can buy in a format that doesn't tie me to audible.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Andy Serkis doing orcs is something else.

Code: Select all

https://www.facebook.com/officialtolkien/videos/934557037273683
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I want the audiobook but I can't find it straight up without Audible...and I don't want Audible. I'm frustrated!

ETA found it. Feel dumb now.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Tell us where!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Does anyone here own this yet?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I’m allowed one free book on audible that I haven’t claimed ever. I should get this one….

But haven’t yet.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I think its technically three books Inanna
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

It looks like it's free with a free trial of Audible. Does that mean that you get to keep it after your trial is over?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Audible says,
Do you keep Audible purchases after Cancelling?
Any titles you purchase are yours to keep forever, even if you decide to cancel your membership. You have acquired lifelong listening rights with the purchase of an Audible title.Aug 9, 2021
Any free listens I've gotten from Audible over the years have stayed in my "library", the same as ones I've purchased with money or credits.
Ones that I've listened to under a special program that I've since quit are marked as no longer available, but still listed in the library.

I'm guessing a trial membership will work the same way.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Cool!

Since you have Audible, do you find it worth the money?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I love Audible. I've been a member since 2008. I used to try to use audiobooks from my library for free, but the interface was so glitchy back then that I finally decided a paid service was the way to go. The library might be better now, who knows? I've got so many titles on audible now that I really don't want to hop platforms. But with Amazon integrated with audible now, it's really easy to go back and forth between kindle books and audible books.

For a while I was finding free ebooks with audio narration on Amazon and "buying" them and then they'd show up in my Audible account. But... a whole lot of times the free e books are worth about what they cost. I've got probably 50 to 100 of those books on my list that I tried and either the story was so horribly written that I had to abandon it, or the narrator was so awful I couldn't stand it. So there are a lot of really crappy books on my audible list, and I can't get them off! :x
It's my fault, I know. I thought I was being clever at the time. Gee! So many free books! This will be cool! It wasn't, really.

I use audio books all the time. Commuting, housework, farm work. Any boring task is made better by listening to a story while you do it. :) Some stories, that is. :blackeye:

A good narrator can make a mediocre book shine, and vice versa. Sometimes I list out all the books a particular narrator has done, just because I know they are good. Sometimes a great narrator will make a dumb book sound so good that it takes me quite a while to figure out that it really wasn't written so well after all.

Anyway.
Audiobooks.
I love them. :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Andy Serkis releases new Audiobook of LotR and Silmarillion

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Hmm. Not sure he can top CRRT's version.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Hm, that may be how I finally reread the Silm. Although at that length, it may have to wait until I get a very long vacation.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Or a long drive. I listened to it on a couple of road trips.