About The Forsaken Inn

A place for Tolkien inspired role playing and fan fiction. This is a new forum modeled roughly on the Prancing Pony forum of TORC, that will develop organically over time.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: About The Forsaken Inn

Post by Frelga »

We could run a poll to see what time period is the most popular. Another option would be to have an inn that's not fixed in time, to allow for the broadest range of characters.

I'm trying to remember which of my old RPs wound up in Tharbad. :) Good times!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Frelga wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:56 am We could run a poll to see what time period is the most popular. Another option would be to have an inn that's not fixed in time, to allow for the broadest range of characters.

I'm trying to remember which of my old RPs wound up in Tharbad. :) Good times!
I'm more inclined to just have people start an inn they think is good. If it clicks, good. If it don't, no loss. So what if there is more than one? I'm guessing there are only a hand full of people interested in roleplaying? I wouldn't want any momentum to do this bog down in the decisionmaking about the year, location, etc. Don't mind a generic inn that doesn't state a year or location, but I find they get a bit AUish (Alternate Universe).

Also, would there be an interest in my sharing the collaborative RP me and my wife are currently writing? I already copy the posts to a forum on RP Repository so it wouldn't be much effort to share it here.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Any update here?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Thank you for breaking the ice, Snowdog. Let me know if my post is an appropriate response. I believe my character will reveal her mysteries to me and everyone else as I continue to write, so I'm not going to post a full character study in an aside/OOC thread. I'd like to think my writing has evolved in the past 20 years, so I'm not dredging up old RP works.

Does your new thread need its own aside/OOC companion thread? (If so, this reply could be moved to it.)

I can see this particular "Inn" type story thread having offshoot threads as someone stumbles in, inspires a few of the players to join him/her in a quest, and runs off with them to start another quest-thread-thing. I expect at that point my character will reveal some hidden talents that wouldn't be know if she remained lounging around the great room. :D This will only work if we have sufficient characters, but there is no reason why we couldn't each have multiple characters populating this thread.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh, this is great! So is this the ooc thread now?

Snowdog, thank you for building a home for the stories. Hopefully they will come.

Narya, I'm looking forward to learning about your character. One of my favorite pieces of RP writing was when Ursula (I think it was Ursula) shared some chocolate with Geli and Tymian in the Icebreaker. Wish I had it saved.

Still don't know if I can herd enough brain cells together to write anything.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Sure, this can suffice as the OOC thread and general chatter. Narya, love your post! I'm kind of hoping the Inn would be similar to the Prancing Pony of old TORc fame where adventures and such were spawned.

I'll be introducing a character shortly. I will admit my starter is a rough concoction of older 'inn' RPs that I had frequented in various places over the years. My editing leaves much to be desired. :rofl:
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Have just read the new RP thread...sounds good!
Snowdog, do you have a link to a backstory for the two sisters?
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Sunsilver wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:06 pm Snowdog, do you have a link to a backstory for the two sisters?
No I don't. I think they were a collab-creation for an RP that never got off the ground on the old Arwen Undomiel board circa 2016. I went back to look to see if any character info was posted, and after digging through pages of spambot shit, I discovered no further info was given. I think they were a fragment idea that I salvaged the Rhudaurian lineage story for another character I'm writing in another roleplay.

I do need to enter a character into this roleplay still. I put a post-it note on my monitor to remind me.
--Bilbo Baggins
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

Snowdog wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:36 pm I do need to enter a character into this roleplay still. I put a post-it note on my monitor to remind me.
Yes! My character is falling asleep on her feet.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

narya wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:30 am
Snowdog wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:36 pm I do need to enter a character into this roleplay still. I put a post-it note on my monitor to remind me.
Yes! My character is falling asleep on her feet.
I got a start on it but I'm having some few interruptions at the moment. I'll finish up my post when things quiet down here.
--Bilbo Baggins
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Crap. I got lost in the depths of RP Repository and Totally neglected this place. My apologies Narya.
Let's see if I can get my act together....
--Bilbo Baggins
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

My character is currently sick in bed, so take your time.