Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Re: Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Post by Eldy »

Good song (sorta downtempo electronic), but I particularly like the video, which is all pre-war drone footage of Kyiv.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Posting here rather than to spam the disaster thread - I like this version of The Wind and the Rain better. And I need to find that movie.

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I had no idea Ben Kingsley could sing! :o A lovely version also, which sounds very Scottish. The other version (in the disaster thread) reminded me a little of the pitter-patter of rain.

And.. ohmygosh.. that's Helena Bonham Carter. I've never seen her in a not odd/made-up role!
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

She's so funny. I enjoyed a tour on Loch Ness/Urquardt. :D
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Here she is again!

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That's one heck of a piece of performance art, especially if that platform is moving as fast as it appeared to.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Yeah, I haven't been able to find much behind-the-scenes info beyond what's in the video description (the names of the dancers and choreographer and the fact that it was filmed in the Panthéon, which I suppose some more cultured people might have been able to tell on their own :P), but it's the video as much as the song that's kept me coming back to this since it first cropped up in my YouTube recommendations. :)
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

There's a Harry Styles video that uses a similar moving device. When I saw that I wondered how they avoided motion sickness. :P
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Oh, nice! I've heard that song a million times on the radio while driving, but hadn't seen the video before. Going by the credits, it had the same choreographer.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That's really very impressive.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

This is ridiculously accurate :)

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh dear Al! :rofl:

When our daughter was in High School we hosted several Japanese students over a period of years. One of the students was from a family who lived at a Buddhist temple. In Japan (and possibly elsewhere, I don't know much about it) temples such as this are kept within a family. It is considered a national treasure. The Japanese concept of religion is very different from the Western concept of religion and hard to explain. In any case, when our daughter was in college she spent a summer teaching in Japan and was able to visit this family at Kongorin-ji temple in Shiga prefecture. The other day YouTube recommended a video for me and it was a video of the temple grounds. It's well known for its beauty in fall. This particular temple is also known for being a guardian of children, including the unborn. The statues are of Jizo, who I believe is a protector of children who die before their parents. Bibs & pinwheels are often placed on/near the little statues.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

So, the stones mark children's graves? Is the family responsible for maintaining the grounds? That would be quite a job!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Suny, no, I don't think the statues (Jizo) are graves. There are 2,000 of them at this shrine alone and they have been there for centuries. I don't know if new ones are added. Jizo are found all over Japan, but this particular shrine is known for its Jizo and it's beauty in fall. The temple was originally built around 740.
Jizo is the Japanese version of Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha, a Buddhist god worshiped mainly in East Asia. Jizo is, without doubt, one of the most popular and lovable of the Buddhist divinities and he has all the wisdom of the Lord Buddha himself, with this important difference, namely, that Jizo has waived aside Nirvana, and does not sit upon the Golden Lotus, but has become, through an exquisitely beautiful self-sacrifice, the divine playmate and protector of Japanese children.

Jizo has many functions and duties, but most important of them all is that he acts a protector of children and unborn children who died before their parents. According to Japanese Buddhist stories, children who face judgment in the afterlife are doomed to stack rocks on the riverbed of souls in purgatory because they didn't have a chance to build up good karma on earth. Jizo helps these children to cross the river in the sleeves of his robe.

He is the God of smiles and long sleeves, the enemy of evil spirits, and the one being who can heal the wound of a mother who has lost her child in death. Jizo is also the guardian of travelers, women and the weak.
While I know quite a few Japanese words and a few phrases, and our daughter took Japanese at University and she knows a bit more, the language barrier made it difficult to have in-depth discussions about such matters. When I have asked the Japanese I have known what religion they 'are' they tilt their heads in confusion. They do not view religion in the same way many Westerners/people of other faiths are used to. Many Japanese follow Shinto practices for 'life' (birth, marriages, day-to-day celebrations, etc..) and (in the Japanese I have known) Tendai Buddhist practices seem to be reserved for matters of death. They may follow certain rituals and traditions, but do not attend services or receive religious instruction or belong to a temple/church, etc.. the way many in other religions do.

More on Kongorin-ji temple
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Randy Rainbow's back!

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."