Trump Indicted by Manhattan District Attorney

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Trump Indicted by Manhattan District Attorney

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This snippet about of the 7 jurors chosen so far is quite disturbing.
The teacher said she has friends with strong opinions of Trump, but added that she's not very interested in politics or the news. "President Trump speaks his mind, and I'd rather that than someone who's in office who you don't know what they're thinking," she said. She was not aware that Trump faces criminal charges in other cases.
https://ssnews.page.link/i3q3gojWk68DsMhDA
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

On the other hand, it is fairly shocking to me that 2 of the first 7 jurors are lawyers.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:37 am On the other hand, it is fairly shocking to me that 2 of the first 7 jurors are lawyers.
I was wondering what your opinion of this would be.

I am discouraged (and disturbed) when people feel that someone like Trump 'speaks their mind' when so much of what he has to say isn't based on facts.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm even more discouraged and disturbed that someone who teaches children could be so unaware of what is happening in the country that they would not know that Trump faces charges in 3 other cases.
Voronwë the Faithful

Apparently the teacher is a young black woman. I would guess that she is also unaware of all the racist things Trump has done and said (not that that is relevant to this case).
Voronwë the Faithful

Of all of the inane things that Alina Habba has said, this one might take the cake.

Where else would the Manhattan D.A. bring a case?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

But the truth/facts don't matter, what matters (to Trump/Habba) is that the trial comes across as Trump being a victim of unfair persecution to FOX viewers. Trump has been making (false/twisted) comments regarding things he claims the judge has said which has caused media outrage. I'm sure he'll keep making such comments to gin up sympathy/outrage. For a 'winner' he sure is a whiner.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Earlier Donald Trump today posted about how he was surprised that he can only strike a limited number of potential jurors. But obviously if defendants could strike an unlimited number of jurors, their trials would never get past jury selection!
Voronwë the Faithful

This "Sandoval" hearing might happen on Friday if jury selection concludes soon enough.

Voronwë the Faithful

Meanwhile Trump made another post that probably violated the gag order.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

For whatever it's worth (and I have no idea), here's a New York Times profile of Melania Trump as regards this trial.
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, we are going backwards. One of the jurors decided that she can't be fair and impartial after all, and has been dismissed. So we are back to 6, and need 12 more.
Voronwë the Faithful

And we might be losing another one. The prosecutors report discovering that juror 4 might have lied in some of his responses and he was directed to appear at 9:15, and at 9:50 he still was not there.
Voronwë the Faithful

Yup, Juror 4 is dismissed, so now we are down to 5. Definitely going the wrong way!
Voronwë the Faithful

I can't overstate how incredibly arrogant and disrespectful this is.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:47 pm Well, we are going backwards. One of the jurors decided that she can't be fair and impartial after all and has been dismissed.
She also said that friends and family have asked if she's a juror in this case and she's afraid her identify will become public. Which goes to a point I made on Tuesday.
Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:26 pm
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:47 pm Well, we are going backwards. One of the jurors decided that she can't be fair and impartial after all and has been dismissed.
She also said that friends and family have asked if she's a juror in this case and she's afraid her identify will become public. Which goes to a point I made on Tuesday.
In this post
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I see that Judge Merchan today asked the press to, essentially, stop doxing jurors.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

And reporters are not happy about that: "anything said in open court is fair game."

In which case, maybe Judge Merchan should close the court during jury selection?

If a deranged Trump supporter identifies and murders a juror using facts supplied by a reporter, can the victim's family sue the reporter?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Are HIPPA like laws needed for jurors? Sheesh. People are mental.