Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That's a gorgeous shade of blue, Voronwë! Do you know what kind of flower that is?

hobby, that's a very relaxing picture. I understand what you mean. :)

Here's one I took at Rocky River MetroPark, near Cleveland, Ohio. I feel like I grew up in this park. My parents took me here all the time when I was growing up, and I went on all sorts of hikes with the naturalists and explored the nature center. It's where I really began to develop my love for and knowledge of nature. Anyway, this has always been my favorite hike at the park, and I took this pic this past spring when I got to take my girls there for the first time.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Lali, I have no idea. :oops:

That's really wonderful to have such a connection with a beautiful place, and to have the opportunity to share it with your girls. :love:

This is from Democrat Point, the tip of Fire Island which is only accessible by boat or four wheel drive, from which I have many fine childhood memories. Alas, I have not been there in close to 30 years. :(

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

A couple of good memories of Scotland, which probably presented itself at its best that day:

Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh:

And, well, gorse was growing everywhere...

See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Taken by DH on our nature hike in Maui. Lesson learned - when the guide promises an easy, level, oh-sure-no-problem-at-all hike... he's lying. There were 237 tall, uneven, slippery steps. Cirith Ungol came to mind more than once.

And when the guide says water in the waterfall pool is 72F... he's off by 20 degrees. :D

But oh, it was so worth it. :love:

Jade vine

Some sort of ginger? Unfortunately, the gorgeous red color didn't do well in compression.
"What a place! What a situation! What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter."

Terry Pratchett, Going Postal
Voronwë the Faithful

Gorgeous, Frelga.

Just because I find redwoods comforting:

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

I love looking the photos that people post here everyday! Especially living in the city, it's nice to see the grandeur of nature, even just in a photo. :)

So, in recompense I suppose, a few of my own:

Loch-an-Eilann, Scotland.

From my grandmother's dock.

:)
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

hello! I've enjoyed looking through the photos here very much, and thought I'd start to post some too.

These are some orchids which were flowering in Singapore when I was there earlier this year:

Voronwë the Faithful

Beautiful, Mossy and Sam. :love:

More redwoods, because I'm still illin'.

Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Frelga, that picture of the jade vine is stunning! :love: In which part of Maui were you gasping and panting and sweating your way to such beauty?

Sam, the color in those blooms is spectacular. Nice shot. :)

Mossy, that view from your grandmother's dock is very similar to some of the views from the islands around here. Where was it taken?

Rowan, gorse (or "broom" as it's usually called here) is just gorgeous in the springtime. It was brought to this part of the world by homesick Scots, evidently, and now runs rampant everywhere. In May, our whole island is a riot of bright yellow.

Voronwë, I love teh pretty trees! And yes, the quiet grandeur of the westcoast evergreen forests is VERY healing.........like hugs. :hug:

Here's a pic taken at a lovely provincial park not far from Victoria, where we went for our traditional Boxing Day walk this year:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Ath, it was about a quarter of the way to Hana, in some private owned park-arborethum type thing the name of which I forgot :oops: but can find out if anyone is interested. We were on a guided hike, but it's opened to the public for a day use fee. They have all sorts of tropical plants, including thickets of impatients and a number of orchidsl, hundred-year-old mango tree, rainbow eucaliptus, plus a trail to the aforementioned waterfall.

And a bird show.

And your waterfall pic was just heartstoppingly beautiful.

Maiden, what a stunning light in that Loch picture of yours.

Voronwë, I love redwoods. Can't think of any place that is more healing to the spirit.
"What a place! What a situation! What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter."

MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

Voronwë, that photo is incredible! Almost dizzying. I can see why you find them comforting.

Ath, that is on St. Joseph Island in Ontario.
What a lovely picture. The light and the waterfall . . . it looks almost magical.

Frelga, those birds are so brilliant! And sitting in a row like that. :D
I love the light on the loch as well. It had been raining all day, cold and grey, and all of a sudden the sun came out. :) (Just as we were leaving, of course. :P )

And my contribution for the day:

Glen Doll, Scotland

And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

This isn't mine. It is the Astronomy Picture of the Day from NASA, to bring in the New Year.

It is probably too big for the thread, but if you want to see a large picture of Saturn's rings and its satellite Dione, click the link.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/ ... A07771.jpg

To see each day's picture, click on:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

The picture changes each day.

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Brian, thanks for the links. :) (And your avatar is creepy and cool, all at the same time. :shock: )

Love the pics of Scotland and of the redwoods. :love:

Here's my contribution for the day. I took this at my in-laws' house. I really liked how the colors were so vibrant, and I liked the little honeybee. (It was my sig pic for a while on b77, so some of you may recognize it.)

Lali
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

Those are very interesting links, Brian - thanks for posting them!

I love your flower and little bee, lalaith. I've managed to take a number of very blurry bee photos...I don't seem to have the knack of convincing them to stay still. :)

My contribution for today is a frangipanni I saw on my walk this afternoon. The cream frangipanni and the pink are all blooming now, but I haven't before seen such a vivid combination of the two:

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, those are pretty! Where do you live, samaranth? It's obviously not Ohio! :shock:

Lali
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Lovely flowers. :love:

Here's one of Hawaiian flowers, googled on Internet. It's beach morning glory, and the reason I looked it up was because its Hawaiian name is Pohuehue. Quite innocent, unless you speak Russian. :blackeye:

Voronwë the Faithful

Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Taken at a park I walk at everyday. I took a disposable camera and got some shots.

After I get more downloaded I will share.
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

*tumbles down the mountain*

The full account of the climb is on b77...here I will just let Gimli's photos speak for themselves.

The view from the Valley of Five Lakes...we climbed that...seriously:

The shelter, half covered in snow. See the lake on the right? No? We couldn't find it either....

If you ever wondered what fireworks look like at 1670 m above sea level, here's a photo:
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Many beautiful pictures in here! :)

Thought I would share some from when I was in Canada. How I love the wild things that grow in the wood: