The (no longer) much too early 2024 election thread

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: The (no longer) much too early 2024 election thread

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Alatar wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:57 pm
N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:55 am - - - - - - - - - - - -
Look at J.D. Vance just nodding along as Donald Trump says "the wind, it kills our birds"...

This is clearly a man with a mental impairment.
This is what I mean when I complain about negative journalism. Its patently clear that he's referring to Wind Turbines, not Wind specifically. By going after him on stupid gotcha's like this, they make the real issues less credible.
I disagree that either the Harris campaign or I (neither of whom is a journalist) have misrepresented Donald Trump here.

It is fair game to highlight Trump's bizarre and oft-repeated animus with wind power and J.D. Vance's willingness to treat Trump's fixation as normal.

He has been making comments like this for eight years. On several occasions, he has moved unrelated conversations to this topic.

More birds die from striking buildings than from striking wind turbines. He never complains about skyscrapers.

More birds have died due to the effects of global warming than from striking wind turbines. Wind power is a net plus to the bird population. He mocks climate issues.

And nobody thinks that either Donald Trump or J.D. Vance cares in the least about birds. Or in Trump's case, about animals of any kind. He regularly insults people by comparing them to dogs. His border wall project infamously forced a butterfly sanctuary to shut down.

He has also said both that wind turbines cause cancer and that the sound wind turbines make causes cancer.

Reminding the public that he's a weird man with irrational fixations is one component of the necessary project of preventing him from retaking power.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Oh, yeah, let's not forget him saying California should RAKE its forests to prevent wildfires... :roll:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Today it was reported that "Tyler Winklevoss [says that]: Kamala Harris snubbing Bitcoin conference won't be forgotten, industry 'will show no mercy' in November".

On no! How will Harris ever survive without the support of crypto? [/sarcasm]

- - - - - - - - - - - -
The New York Times today quotes Anna Ayala of San Jose, who says she voted for Joe Biden in 2020 but will vote for Donald Trump because "the border situation is out of control."

Oh no! How will Harris every survive without the support of people who put human fingers in chili? (And then falsely sue Wendy's for it.)

Update: "Looks like it’s been removed from the digital edition."

- - - - - - - - - - - -
"J.D. Vance Endorsed Book [by antisemitic conspiracy theorist Jack Posobiec] That Calls Progressives “Unhumans” and Praises Jan. 6 Rioters."

- - - - - - - - - - - -
What will Kamala Harris need to do to win people who voted for Donald Trump in 2016 but Conor Lamb in 2018?

- - - - - - - - - - - -
I'm an admirer of Pete Buttigieg but skeptical that he'd be Kamala Harris's best choice as a running mate. Still, he's more experienced than J.D. Vance.

Buttigieg, age 42, has held the Cabinet position of Secretary of Transportation for 42 months. Prior to that, he served for eight years as mayor of South Bend, Indiana. He also managed to win the Iowa caucuses and place second in the New Hampshire primary in his 2020 presidential campaign. He was also in the U.S. Naval Reserve for eight years -- overlapping much of his mayoralty -- during which time he was called up to active duty for seven months and deployed in Afghanistan, mostly as a financial analyst in a counter-terrorism task for but also as a driver in the field (100 trips, 36 miles each way, between Bagram Air Force Base and Kabul), but he never saw combat. He also worked in business. He has bachelor's degrees from both Harvard and Oxford.

Vance, who is about to turn 40, has been a U.S. Senator for 18 months. He has no other public service experience. He enlisted in the Marine Corps after graduating from high school and was on active duty for four years, including six months as a correspondent in the public affairs in Afghanistan, but he never saw combat. He also worked in business and published a best-selling book. He has a bachelor's degree from Ohio State and a law degree from Yale.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Wall Street Journal opinion writer Jason L. Riley penned these two columns just two weeks apart, on July 9 and July 23, respectively:

1. "Kamala Harris Would Be the Best Democratic Choice: She'd rally Black voters who are souring on Democrats and she's close to Trump in the polls."
2. "Kamala Harris Isn't the Change Democrats Need: On issues from crime to immigration to inflation, she offers more of the same failed left-wing policies."

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Much of what's in the new CNN article (which Voronwë cites here) about the booming U.S. economy could have been written any time in the past month and arguably the past four to seven months. While it is based on a new report issued today, most of the data was evident by June or earlier. Nothing has changed economically in the past month, except that President Biden has announced he's not running for reelection. If the media had been writing stories like that for the first half of 2024, President Biden might still be in this race. Talk about bizarre fixations!

- - - - - - - - - - - -
To be fair, in this clip:

Donald Trump doesn't say that military leaders should be replaced by football coaches and racecar drivers. He merely suggests that they should be around the table when military decisions are made, because "in its own way it's not so much really different."

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Has anyone seen the stories about J.D. Vance not wanting childless adults to vote? Or alternatively to give additional votes to people with children? I wonder: would the vote(s) be equally shared by the parents? And would it be a full vote per child or, say, three-fifths of a vote?

That clip is a few years old, but Vance's fellow Thiel acolyte, Blake Masters (who ran unsuccessfully for U.S. Senate from Arizona two years ago), backed Vance up today by saying that "political leaders should have children ... [or] should at least be married."

Further sayeth Vance: "If you want to brainwash children, have your own kids to brainwash."

Anyway, if Vance had his way, George Washington wouldn't have been allowed to vote.
Last edited by N.E. Brigand on Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Calling into Fox News this morning, Donald Trump said: "My instruction: we don't need the votes. I have so many votes."

This is not the first time this year that Trump has said he doesn't need people to vote for him. (Because he's planning to cheat?)

- - - - - - - - - -
It's just one poll, and I think it's going to take at least another week for polls to settle down, but a new poll in Maine find Vice President Harris leading Donald Trump in that state by 54%-45%. That's slightly better than President Biden's margin of victory over Trump in 2020. The same polling outfit finds Harris ahead of Trump in New Hampshire by six points (49%-43%). Biden won there by seven points in 2020.

Edited to note that a different polling firm finds Harris leading Trump 50%-44% in New Hampshire. That's a huge flip from June, when this pollster saw Trump leading Biden 44%-42%. In other words, Trump didn't move, but his opponent gained eight points.

- - - - - - - - - -
It's just one poll, etc., but the first New York Times poll since President Biden stepped aside finds Donald Trump leading Vice President nationally by 48%-47%. In that poll, Trump's favorability rating is up 6% since June. Harris's favorability rating is up 10% since February. And when RFK Jr. is on the ballot, Trump and Harris are tied.

- - - - - - - - - -
It's just five polls, but Emerson finds these swing state results:
Arizona: Trump 49%, Harris 44%
Georgia: Trump 48%, Harris 46%
Michigan: Trump 46%, Harris 45%
Pennsylvania: Trump 48%, Harris 46%
Wisconsin: Trump 47%, Harris 47%

On average, that's 3% better than President Biden was faring against Donald Trump in the last swing state polls from Emerson. But she has a ways to go yet!

- - - - - - - - - -
Possibly related: Donald Trump is outspending Kamala Harris by a 25-1 ratio in television advertising so far this summer. It's not clear to me whether that means Trump was similarly outspending Biden.

All the replies to that post saying "I don't even know anyone who watches actual TV anymore" are stupid. Those respondents may as well put up signs saying, "I live in a bubble." Lots of people still watch television, and many of those people vote.

- - - - - - - - - -
In the Midwest, J.D. Vance has 28% favorability vs. 44% unfavorabilty rating.

- - - - - - - - - -
Nikki Haley, who endorsed Donald Trump, said again today that candidates over the age of 75 should take a mental competency test.
Last edited by N.E. Brigand on Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Vice President Harris today said that she expects to debate Donald Trump in September on ABC, as he previously agreed to do against President Biden.

But the Trump campaign today issued a statement saying that they won't agree to that until after the Democratic National Convention. Their excuse is that the nominee might not be Harris. What evidence do they have for that? They say the fact that "Barack Hussein Obama" has yet to endorse Harris means Democrats have doubts.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:08 am Nikki Haley, who endorsed Donald Trump, said again today that candidates over the age of 75 should take a mental competency test.
The Lincoln Project shows that it just takes a little tweaking to make Fox News stories accurate:

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Frelga wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:06 am Filed under things I don't want clarified - why posts critical of Trump's running mate Vance imply that he had a carnal relationship with a couch.
I still don't want to know, but Rabbi Danya Ruttenberg broke her Twitter hiatus and is posting Biblical verses that mention a couch. Just in case someone needs them for a sermon.
"What a place! What a situation! What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter."

Terry Pratchett, Going Postal
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

On a more normal note, Haley Voters for Harris PAC defiantly continues to fundraise for Kamala.
We have formally responded to @NikkiHaley's cease and desist letter.

We have deep respect for Ambassador Haley's patriotism and sacrifices.

We also believe that @KamalaHarris will be better for the country than Trump.

We will neither cease nor desist.
"What a place! What a situation! What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter."

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Sunsilver wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:23 pm Oh, yeah, let's not forget him saying California should RAKE its forests to prevent wildfires... :roll:
"Take my hand, I'm a stranger in Pleasure."
N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:58 am Vice President Harris today said that she expects to debate Donald Trump in September on ABC, as he previously agreed to do against President Biden. But the Trump campaign today issued a statement saying that they won't agree to that until after the Democratic National Convention. Their excuse is that the nominee might not be Harris. What evidence do they have for that? They say the fact that "Barack Hussein Obama" has yet to endorse Harris means Democrats have doubts.
Also, when Donald Trump debated President Biden in June, neither of them had yet been formally nominated by their parties.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 6:50 am Multiple names have been thrown around as possible running mates if Vice President Harris becomes the nominee. Kelly is one of them ... Two names frequently seen are Andy Beshear and Roy Cooper. And all of these names have been swirling around for two weeks or more.
In case it becomes relevant: it turns out that Roy Cooper's last name should be pronounced with the short "oo" of "foot" not the long "oo" of "boot".

Edited to add everything below.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Meanwhile:
Fox News's Brian Kilmeade notes that when Kamala Harris was San Francisco's district attorney, the conviction rate went up from 52% to 67%. He says that’s "not going to please many in the minority community." Why not? Does Kilmeade think Black and Latino people like crime?
(Video at link.)

I read today that when Kamala Harris was in the Senate, her staff had an amateur baseball team. They called themselves the Oxford Kamalas.

New Detroit News poll for Michigan: Harris 42%, Trump 41%, RFK Jr. 10%. The last time this poll was conducted was January, when Trump led Biden by 8%. (The new poll also tested Whitmer as Harris's running mate: Harris 44%, Trump 41%.)

And to revisit an earlier theme:
I think it is a mistake to think that the primary way to mollify voter concerns about Kamala Harris being too left wing is to do straight white guy DEI [by choosing one as a running mate]. If Kamala wants voters to believe she’s moderate, then she needs to take moderate positions. ... These are all reasonable contenders [Mark Kelly, Josh Shapiro, Roy Cooper, Tim Walz, Andy Beshear], but the way to provide "extra validation" is to say/do moderate stuff, not rely on White Boy Magic from the VP.
Finally, for Frelga:

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Not that there was ever any doubt, but the Obamas endorsed Harris.
NE wrote:Finally, for Frelga
No. :nono:

I meant it when I said I don't want to know.

That said, the only thing funnier than the AP publishing a headline Vance didn't have sex with a couch is then retracting it later.
20240725_211830~2.jpg
20240725_211830~2.jpg (53.88 KiB) Viewed 8068 times

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Between the couches and the coconuts this year's election suddenly got entertaining.

The Obamas have endorsed Harris so now the Trump campaign needs a new excuse.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Frelga wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:01 pmThat said, the only thing funnier than the AP publishing a headline Vance didn't have sex with a couch is then retracting it later.
I thought the New York Times quoting a supposed Democratic but Trump-supporting voter without noting that she was a notorious felon was pretty funny too.

- - - - - - - - - -
N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:58 am Vice President Harris today said that she expects to debate Donald Trump in September on ABC, as he previously agreed to do against President Biden.

But the Trump campaign today issued a statement saying that they won't agree to that until after the Democratic National Convention. Their excuse is that the nominee might not be Harris. What evidence do they have for that? They say the fact that "Barack Hussein Obama" has yet to endorse Harris means Democrats have doubts.
River wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:19 pm Between the couches and the coconuts this year's election suddenly got entertaining.

The Obamas have endorsed Harris so now the Trump campaign needs a new excuse.
Just popped in to note Obama's endorsement as well. Here's a link:

So Barack and Michelle Obama called Kamala Harris earlier this week to offer their support, but they waited until Donald Trump used the absence of their support as an excuse for backing out of the debate before going public. I don't think they knew that Trump was planning to use them as an excuse! But everyone knew the Obamas were going to endorse Harris, so it was really foolish of the Trump campaign to say that.

(FYI, I've got a lot on my plate for the next couple weeks and may be scarce in these parts.)
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

https://www.uexpress.com/oddities/news- ... 2024/07/19
Dustin Ebey, 35, a middle school math teacher from north Texas, has thrown his hat in the ring in a big way: He changed his legal name to Literally Anybody Else and is running a write-in campaign for president of the United States in Texas (where he didn't get enough signatures to get on the ballot) and Tennessee (where he did get enough). ABC13-TV reported that Else has revealed his running mate, Neal David Sutz, a New Yorker who is currently living in Switzerland. Else said Americans deserve better than the divisive, partisan electoral system we currently have. "This name gives everybody something to point to, to channel, that being to one movement, to one message that could hopefully have a meaningful impact," Else said.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This can't be right, can it? Trump and Kennedy must be switched in the "Black voters" listing.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I muted the word sofa in my Twitter feed, and now there are dolphins and hot dogs. :cry:

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

In town today I saw a sign: FELON 2024 (it was not tongue-in-cheek). I was surprised it wasn't next to a TRUMP! For Law & Order sign.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Uh, Donald Trump said what tonight?
Christians, get out and vote. Just this time. You won't have to do it anymore. Four more years, you know what: it'll be fixed. It'll be fine. You won't have to vote anymore, my beautiful Christians. I love you Christians. I'm a Christian.* I love you. Get out! You gotta get out and vote. In four years you don't have to vote again. We'll have it fixed so good you're not gonna have to vote.
*This is a much less important point, but a lot of people are reporting that sentence as "I'm not Christian." That's what I heard at first too, but I thought: he'd never say that. But now I'm not sure. (Edit: after listening to it a few more times, it sounds like, "I'mng aht Christian.")

Obviously the more important point is that Trump is saying that 2024 will be the United States' last election.
Last edited by N.E. Brigand on Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

No, in Donald Trump's convoluted mind, he is saying that after this year they will "fix" the elections so that "the other side" will be so prevented from voting that it won't be necessary for his Christian supporters to come out and vote because he will win by so much it won't matter. He is, however, implying that the 22nd Amendment should be applied to him.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I find that Trump should always be taken literally.