Book One: The Ring Sets Out

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

Primula Baggins wrote:Though I hope you will see that, as a woman, it makes very little difference to me whether women were "there but subordinate" or simply entirely unthought of. Neither seems ideal. :P
Neither are ideal, but does it not make a difference? Doesn't the former imply a permanent inferiority, when the latter allow for inclusion (albeit at some later time)?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm thinking of the scholars who accepted the situation. Complete exclusion was pretty effective in keeping women out of scholarly life, whereas at American universities it occasionally happened that a woman hired to do menial tasks (reading photographic plates in astronomy, for example) would find an opportunity to make a significant contribution, and even be recognized for it to some degree.

It's the assumption that women exist only to adorn, inspire, and have babies that sticks in my craw—the idea that it is ridiculous or even evil (see the works of Lewis) for women to aspire to scholarship. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

It's the assumption that women exist only to adorn, inspire, and have babies that sticks in my craw—the idea that it is ridiculous or even evil (see the works of Lewis) for women to aspire to scholarship.
:shock:

Good thing I haven't read any Lewis except The Chronicles of Narnia, then.

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

If you're referring to that incident with Mark's wife in That Hideous Strength... well, that is far afield from Book I :D

Orual neither adorns, inspires, nor makes babies ;). And before you label any of that a flaw - neither did Psyche.