Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Re: Nature Pics

Post by narya »

"Happiness is like a butterfly, the more you chase it, the more it will elude, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder." Henry David Thoreau.

Or your park bench!
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It took me a ridiculous number of photos to get this because the camera on my phone stinks, but ... the anticipation!!
Attachments
closer.jpg
closer.jpg (118.13 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Today's neighbor

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Egret?
Voronwë the Faithful

Blue heron.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Osprey

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Beautiful!

I am a creature of routine and one of the mainstays of my daily routine is “drop-child-to-school-call-mom-while-sitting-by-river-and-having-chai/coffee”. Now I’ve lost my Hudson River (sob), & while we are close to the East River, it’s in the opposite direction from child’s school - which is next to Central Park. So I started walking in the park, and the reservoir is right there but you can’t sit next to it (it’s surrounded by a fence & running track). I was quite out-of-sorts first few days, and then I decided to “Solve. this. Now.” So I pulled up the map & found the “turtle pond” about 10 mins walk from child’s school - a walk through the park! So that’s what I’ve been doing, going to the turtle pond and it’s been lovely. Here are some pics of the 2-3 days I’ve managed to swing by (when I don’t have to go to work), of the pond & environs.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Lovely photos folks!

Inanna, I'm sorry to hear you've lost your job/one of your jobs. Central park is indeed lovely and I am glad you choose to enjoy it. I hope daughter loves her new school and that you are all settling in well.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

There is something so special about just sitting and observing a body of water. I try to do so whenever I can. (Living on an island helps.)
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Rose - sorry, no I haven’t lost my job. We used to live right on the Hudson River for the last 15 years. And now moved to the city for Irikas school. So no Hudson River for me. Lol.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Those are great pictures!

Who's the statue of the guy on horseback? I can't read the writing on the base.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's so wonderful to be able to just duck into nature.

Someone once posted a picture of a modern city with a huge swath of green space through the middle, saying how wonderful it would be if we built our cities like that, in the future. And it was just an aerial photo of the Central Park in NYC.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Inanna :D

Wikipedia has a list of the art in Central park. I believe the statue Inanna posted is of Jogaila (Władysław II Jagiełło)/ Poland although I have no idea why he is specifically honored in Central Park. We have photos of the statue Balto the heroic dog and the Imagine (tribute to John Lennon) dias. It's a lovely park.
central park.jpg
central park.jpg (201.1 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
We do not live on an island or near great bodies of water (although Lake Michigan is only about 17 miles away) so here is my grand water photo of the day. ;) :D It's fall, y'all!
Fall.jpg
Fall.jpg (149.45 KiB) Viewed 4498 times
Voronwë the Faithful

From my bike ride yesterday

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Now that is a spectacular view. You live a mere bike ride away from that? Lucky guy!
Voronwë the Faithful

Believe me, I thank my lucky stars every day!

ETA: That would be a long bike ride from my house, but I usually keep the bike at my office, and that is less than 5 miles away.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Stunning. We've traveled far & wide to view sea arches.. to think you live so close!
Voronwë the Faithful

Moonrise over Ben Lomond

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Both the pics are so wow.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I have nothing so pretty to show as those photos, but now that it's October & we are working our way toward Halloween and all things gruesome - I thought I'd share some unusual fungus daughter has growing in her back yard. I believe this particular type grows where old (rotting) oak tree roots are.
Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 5.02.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 5.02.21 PM.png (258.92 KiB) Viewed 4396 times
Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 5.03.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 5.03.37 PM.png (274.66 KiB) Viewed 4396 times
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.