Desolation of Smaug trailers (SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

So...could this be Girion? If so, does it mean we will see him not only in the AUJ EE, but possibly in a further flashback to the destruction of Dale?

http://s1.directupload.net/images/131001/h9bxly7h.png
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Looks like a dwarf to me. Not one of the company, but he has the hair, face, oversized boots etc. that are typical for dwarves.
sinister71

Re: Also

Post by sinister71 »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Is this the first confirmation that there will be something of a romantic subplot between Legolas and Tauriel?
The sad part for me is that Jackson clearly denied there was a romance between Legolas and Tauriel earlier on in production. either he lied or changed his mind halfway thru production.

Wonder which he'll admit to? :scratch:
If your going to adapt a story you love WHY change it into something else? I truly am curious about that.
Dave_LF

Re: Also

Post by Dave_LF »

sinister71 wrote:The sad part for me is that Jackson clearly denied there was a romance between Legolas and Tauriel earlier on in production. either he lied or changed his mind halfway thru production.
And having it flatly stated that Tauriel has no interest in Legolas (assuming he is the he) contradicts this how? Sounds like additional confirmation to me!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Or maybe there really isn't any romance between them. It wouldn't be the first time that a trailer gave a misleading impression. [Edit: cross-posted with Dave]

Meanwhile, it occurs to me that there doesn't seem to be any indication that Bilbo is wearing the Ring when we see him in Erebor, other than the fact that Smaug apparently can't see him. Surely they can't be right. That would be a change that would bother me much more than Bilbo addressing him as "Smaug the Stupendous" (which I rather like).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
sinister71

Post by sinister71 »

I can agree Bilbo not wearing the ring would be more troublesome for me than the dialogue. But the issue with the dialogue is needless changes for no good reason. Why alter what would surely have worked just as well? I can't see any reason that is logical. Other than some sort of insecurity feeling that by using the original dialogue in its true form he is not contributing enough to the script. Because from where I am sitting Jackson's dialogue changes are no better than the original material. only different. But why?

From the expressions in the trailer with Bilbo and the ring it might be Jackson is having the ring get under Bilbo's skin so to speak. which for me makes no sense because of Bilbo's actions in FOTR where he dons the ring willy nilly with no care about wearing it as just some sort of joke played upon the people of the shire. Bilbo doesn't act as if the ring had any bad effects in the beginning of FOTR. Which if the ring were doing strange things to him wouldn't he have been a bit hesitant in FOTR?

As for the Legolas/ Tauriel romance I thought it was obvious in the trailer since it wreaked of the Aragorn /Arwin /Elrond situation in LOTR.
If your going to adapt a story you love WHY change it into something else? I truly am curious about that.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Meanwhile, it occurs to me that there doesn't seem to be any indication that Bilbo is wearing the Ring when we see him in Erebor, other than the fact that Smaug apparently can't see him. Surely they can't be right. That would be a change that would bother me much more than Bilbo addressing him as "Smaug the Stupendous" (which I rather like).
This point came up a while ago, when this image was first released:

Bilbo clearly has the ring on in this picture, but there's no "shadow world" effect going on - we initially presumed it was because the effect would be added in post, but there is no indication of it in the trailer, is there?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Or maybe there really isn't any romance between them. It wouldn't be the first time that a trailer gave a misleading impression. [Edit: cross-posted with Dave]

Meanwhile, it occurs to me that there doesn't seem to be any indication that Bilbo is wearing the Ring when we see him in Erebor, other than the fact that Smaug apparently can't see him. Surely they can't be right. That would be a change that would bother me much more than Bilbo addressing him as "Smaug the Stupendous" (which I rather like).
The line from the trailer is:

"Legolas has grown very fond of you. Do not give him hope where there is none."

Unless the WB folks are deliberately splicing dialogue so as to give the impression that Legolas is romantically interested in Tauriel, this gets us close to certainty that there is at least romantic tension between the two.
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

Elen wrote:Bilbo clearly has the ring on in this picture, but there's no "shadow world" effect going on - we initially presumed it was because the effect would be added in post, but there is no indication of it in the trailer, is there?
You're right, it definitely is there in that shot (where was I for that previous discussion; I don't recall it at all). I wonder how they are going to handle this?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Here's something I potentially do not like. DanielLB at TORN provides this screencap:

Sword look familiar? Orcrist, no? While there is a certain logic to it, as Orcrist should be taken from Thorin when he is captured by Thranduil, it grates on me to see it in Legolas' hands. Maybe it won't bother me in the film, but at least tentatively, I don't like it.
sinister71

Post by sinister71 »

I noticed that earlier and didn't like it but as others like to tell me, we'll have to see how it plays out
Voronwë the Faithful

Indeed we will!
Passdagas the Brown

Too early to judge on that, V. Let's give PJ the benefit of the doubt.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

sinister71 wrote:
Alatar wrote:
sinister71 wrote:what is this Smaug the stupendous? where is Smaug the mighty, the tremendous, the wealthy, the chiefest and greatest of calamities? All the flattering names Bilbo called Smaug, just to give Bilbo a line bordering on insulting to the dragon.
How is that insulting? Its just another synonym of the words Tolkien used, and arguably more alliterative.
stu·pen·dous
st(y)o͞oˈpendəs/
adjective
informal
adjective: stupendous

extremely impressive.
"a stupendous display of technique"
synonyms: amazing, astounding, astonishing, extraordinary, remarkable, phenomenal, staggering, breathtaking;
well what's wrong with the actual words Tolkien used?

instead of another needless change. for me the word sounds like a play of the word stupid. trying to make Bilbo have some witty dialogue to insult Smaug in a way that he doesn't realize it.

Honestly words from the book like Tremendous, mighty, magnificent, would have worked better IMO. Maybe they will have other praise in the film. But its just another example of needless changes that seems like Jackson just needs to make changes for no good reason. Tremendous is in the book and has the same amount of syllables and flows just as well.
Sorry, but that's a ridiculous argument. "Stupendous" has nothing to do with "stupid", and your misunderstanding of the word is no reason not to use it. Also, as I said, "Smaug the stupendous" has an alliterative quality that is more musical to the ear than "Smaug the tremendous".

This reminds me of the guy who got fired for using the word Niggard. Ignorance on the part of the listener should not be an excuse to punish those who used the word correctly.
Last edited by Alatar on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Incidentally, if someone fancies me and I don't fancy them back, is that a romance? I don't class it as one. Now, it may well be that there is a mutual attraction that is not acted upon, but even that is romantic tension, not romance. This reminds me far too much of the Gandalf/Galadriel fretting!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Screencap of Smaug, full frontal shot. Spoiler, naturally!

http://radikal.ru/F/i023.radikal.ru/131 ... 9cbafa.jpg
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Alatar wrote:Screencap of Smaug, full frontal shot. Spoiler, naturally!

http://radikal.ru/F/i023.radikal.ru/131 ... 9cbafa.jpg
Sweetness!!!! :happydance:
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I didn't see anyone mention this yet, but a couple quick flashes near the start confirm that Legolas will be fighting orcs in Laketown.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yeah, I noticed the one of the flashes was presumably inside a house in Laketown...don't know how I feel about it.... I'm kinda numb really, regarding all the changes that keep being revealed. Just have to wait and see how it all plays out!
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Elentári wrote:So...could this be Girion? If so, does it mean we will see him not only in the AUJ EE, but possibly in a further flashback to the destruction of Dale?

http://s1.directupload.net/images/131001/h9bxly7h.png
His armor seems identical to that of the other Dale guardsmen we've seen, so my guess is Girion. I hope that's not the black arrow...