The challenges ahead (Biden's America)

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: The challenges ahead

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I'm in a quandary about Joe Biden's pick for defense secretary.

Lloyd Austin appears to be the potential choice least likely to start a war.

But there's a 1947 law that says you can't be defense secretary if you've served in the military in the past seven years, unless Congress votes separately to waive that requirement.

It's only been waived twice before: for George Marshall in 1950 and for James Mattis in 2017.

The reason for the law is that civilian control of the military is very important.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I like Gen. Austin pretty well in that position. It does concern me a little that he was chosen in large part because of pressure to make sure that at least one of the four big cabinet positions (State, Defense, Treasury, Attorney General) be given to an African-American. I'm all for diversity, but the best person for a job like that should be the best person for a job like that.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I like Gen. Austin pretty well in that position. It does concern me a little that he was chosen in large part because of pressure to make sure that at least one of the four big cabinet positions (State, Defense, Treasury, Attorney General) be given to an African-American. I'm all for diversity, but the best person for a job like that should be the best person for a job like that.
And yet nobody ever questions whether they're really the 'best person for the job' when they all just happen to be white... or if they were likewise chosen for their skin color.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

elengil wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I like Gen. Austin pretty well in that position. It does concern me a little that he was chosen in large part because of pressure to make sure that at least one of the four big cabinet positions (State, Defense, Treasury, Attorney General) be given to an African-American. I'm all for diversity, but the best person for a job like that should be the best person for a job like that.
And yet nobody ever questions whether they're really the 'best person for the job' when they all just happen to be white... or if they were likewise chosen for their skin color.
:agree:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

That doesn't make it right.

Michele Flournoy was widely considered the likely choice, and very much considered to be the most qualified person for the job. She would have been equally historic (as the first female Defense Secretary) without requiring Congress to grant a waiver.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I wonder if Flournoy turned it down and for one reason or another the transition team is keeping very quiet about that? Or, since they've been allowed to start talking to people in the Trump Admin, they've learned something that makes this guy a better fit?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

No, she was passed over because of extreme pressure from Jim Clyburn and others in the Black Congressional Caucus.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Ah. A new twist on the boy's club.
elengil

Post by elengil »

I think it's also a bit problematic (if not an outright fallacy) to say that in a country of 300 million or so people, there can only be one proper true 'best' person for any job. There are many great people who would bring different strengths to any given position.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

That's true, and Gen. Austin certainly brings a lot of good qualities and knowledge to the job, if you are not concerned about the issue of civilian control of the military. But he almost certainly is not who President-Elect Biden really believed was the best person for the job.

Marcia Fudge, on the other hand, is likely to be the person that Biden really does want to nominate as secretary of of Housing and Urban Development. The fact that she is both a woman and African-American is not why she should get the job. There should be a representative number of women and minorities not because they are chosen because they are women and/or minority but rather because if the best people really are chosen, they would naturally be represented. Unlike in the current administration in which, for instance, the current secretary of Housing and Urban Development, is the only African-American cabinet member, and while he is a celebrated surgeon he has absolutely zero relevant experience to make him qualified for the job that he is in.
elengil

Post by elengil »

And yet we are only discussing whether the women and/or minorities are really suited for their jobs, aren't we?

Frankly, after the last 4 years, I will take any competent person in any role. Biden isn't exactly who I think is best for that role, either, but he's certainly competent and capable, and far moreso than we had before. So I would rather not nitpick whether this Black man or this woman did or did not get the job because of some 'not-white-man-ness' rather than simply acknowledging these are at least all suitable, competent people in positions they are qualified to hold.

I am certainly not qualified to decide whether they are the single best person for that role. I can simply accept they are not singularly unsuited or downright toxic.
was a 2020 planner.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

elengil wrote:And yet we are only discussing whether the women and/or minorities are really suited for their jobs, aren't we?
Considering the number of white men that Trump appointed who were widely and resoundingly criticized for being unqualified and incompetent, I don't think this is a fair assessment at all.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:
elengil wrote:And yet we are only discussing whether the women and/or minorities are really suited for their jobs, aren't we?
Considering the number of white men that Trump appointed who were widely and resoundingly criticized for being unqualified and incompetent, I don't think this is a fair assessment at all.
I meant right here and now, there are apparently 4 Very Important Cabinet Appointments, and we are discussing whether the one Black man was really the best one, and not the other 3. Or whether the woman got her position because she was awesome rather than because she wasn't a man.
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Plus, where Trump's picks actually were incompetent and corrupt, here we are discussing whether Biden's selection is the bestest possible choice.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

I would say that Trump's picks were historically bad, but that would be an insult to history.

As far as I am concerned, applying whatever standards (or lack thereof) that he applied to Biden or any future president is unacceptable. I think our country deserves better.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

elengil wrote:
yovargas wrote:
I meant right here and now, there are apparently 4 Very Important Cabinet Appointments, and we are discussing whether the one Black man was really the best one, and not the other 3. Or whether the woman got her position because she was awesome rather than because she wasn't a man.
The announced nominee for SoD needs a Congressional waiver to qualify so I'm not sure you can honestly say he's the best for the position given a law has to be waived so he can take the job. The woman who was the front-runner needed no such waiver but got passed over because of reasons that had nothing to do with her professional qualifications.

ETA: If it's Very Important that the SoD be Black, could they have at least picked someone who doesn't need a waiver? Surely such a person exists. I wouldn't know who but if previous Admins have found qualified Black people to serve as AGs, SoSs, UN Ambassadors, NSAs, Supreme Court Justices, and so on surely they can find a Black SoD who doesn't need a Congressional waiver. Talented Black people are everywhere.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

The word "waiver" that the media keep throwing around is sort of misleading. It's actually *against the law* for a recently retired general to serve in the post. But since Congress makes the law, they are free to pass another one saying it's ok to make an exception just this one time (again). However, this seems like an odd thing to ask if part of your deal is wanting to restore those shattered presidential norms.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I believe the law states they should be retired 7 years (or more) and he has been retired for 4. While that is outside the law and therefore requires a waiver, I wouldn't consider 4 years 'recent'.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil

Post by elengil »

A compilation, be sure to read through all of them - I'm not sure what the format of the original was - maybe twitter? Which of course means it all means absolutely nothing unless it's actually *done* but still... very different to read something like this for a change.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

So, with Bill Barr out, and Jeffrey Rosen elevated to Acting Attorney General (despite having no previous prosecutorial experience at all), will we see a spate of special counsels appointed to cause more chaos for the Biden adminsitration?