Myers-Briggs, redux

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Myers-Briggs, redux

Post by Frelga »

So growing a pumpkin for a state fair competition combines the exertion required for gardening and the competitive aspect and is therefore a sport. 🎃

While chess isn't a sport.

What about golf? If people ride in carts and have caddies carry their bags, it's not a sport, right?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm not the New Oxford Dictionary. :P I'd be surprised if pumpkin growing is considered a sport. :scratch: I guess it depends on who is making the definition, which takes us back to what started the conversation; that 'quick test' is too broad and the answer to some of those questions could vary greatly depending upon the perspective of the person taking it.

For what it's worth, the International Olympic Committee recognizes some board games as sports including chess.

The complete New Oxford definition for the word 'Sport' is pretty interesting but is probably too long to post here.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Maria wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:57 pm I take that back. This looks like a whole lot of exercise!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

LOL! :D
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

1. Were you popular in high school? Only in a very small circle of friends. And now 50 years later, I have over 500 active contacts on my phone, for friends and colleagues, in the many groups I belong to and communicate with. I can be an extrovert for short bursts of time, and an introvert the rest of the time.

2. Do you play sports? No - yes - maybe? I do practice weekly with the Alameda Dragonflyers. Our website proclaims us as a "competitive dragon boat team", but out of the 100+ team members on the roster, most just come to practices and potlucks because of the motto of our team - "Fun-Fitness-Friendship". We only send a boat load or two of our really competitive team members to any of the regattas. And the regattas are not that competitive - teams sometimes borrow people from other teams if they can't come up with a full boat from within their own team. All my other activities are either cooperative or solo. I am definitely a "team player" sometimes, yet just as happy to camp on my own for a week at other times. I'm skeptical as to how this relates to assessing situations based on sensing and/or intuiting.

3. Are you good at math? Yes. Do you play 4 dimensional Tetris for fun? Yes. Do you dabble in rocket science formulas for fun? Yes. And yet, I also work on a suicide hotline and in Red Cross disaster relief teams, where empathy is a must. I can use both my thinking and feeling brain as needed, and I can even use them both at once, as witnessed by my playing sudoku or assembling jigsaw puzzles while listening to emotionally laden audio books.

4. Is your room clean? Which one? Technically, my bedroom/office is not "dirty". I do periodically remove dust, dirty laundry and dirty dishes, and everything is laid out in the "visual filing system" meaning that the piles are loose enough that I can usually spot what I need with minimal searching. Other rooms in the house are under the purview of other family members, and kept to rather relaxed standards, but so far, I don't think I've gotten ill as a result. I'm mostly J, but have learned to embrace the P of my family, for both my sanity and theirs.

Like Frelga, I often score 50-50 on more complete tests.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

narya wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:55 am 1. Were you popular in high school? Only in a very small circle of friends. And now 50 years later, I have over 500 active contacts on my phone, for friends and colleagues, in the many groups I belong to and communicate with. I can be an extrovert for short bursts of time, and an introvert the rest of the time.
You're probably an ambivert!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I was popular in high school. I was class president, or the Soviet equivalent.

The problem in the middle school was, not many of my classmates were popular with me, and it took me until I was 14 to grow enough brain cells that I stopped letting them know it. It was a whole epiphany, violins were playing Taylor Swift in the background, even though she hasn't been born yet. It's me, hi, I'm the problem.

So after that, I was popular. You can't be likeable if you don't like people.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

narya wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:55 am Do you play 4 dimensional Tetris for fun? Yes.
That sounds really interesting! Where can I find this game??????
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Maria wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:21 pm
narya wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:55 am Do you play 4 dimensional Tetris for fun? Yes.
That sounds really interesting! Where can I find this game??????
Ohmygoodness you guys are my worst nightmare/antithesis (in this matter/maths).
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Well, the 4D link is now dead - and the 20+ year old program I played on my Mac is now not working. But I used to play it daily. Think of it this way: Tetris has 2 dimensional objects, easily portrayed in a 2 dimensional screen. To portray something 3 dimensional, you either show it in an orthographic projection (three drawings, one for each dimension, showing the top, side, and front) or an isometric projection (a single drawing as seen from a corner, so that you could see three of the six sides of cube). FRAC 3D used the isometric projection to show 3 dimensions. FRAC 4D showed 4 isometric projections.

Here's FRAC 3D: https://www.myabandonware.com/game/frac-2ke/play-2ke . It's very slow and buggy, not that much fund to play in it's current archive form.
Here's a YouTube of FRAC 4D: . It's one of those don't think about it, just play it type games.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

So when you first mentioned it I was intimidated but then, watching the video, I've decided it looks like tons of fun and a great exercise in spatial reasoning. Which I happen to be good at (even by the standards of my peers).

As for the quiz itself, eh. I can force myself into pretty much any type except E vs. I. I am pretty plainly an I. But that's true for the more involved versions of the MBTI as well. And no, I was not popular in high school. I was nice. Even friendly. But I stayed under the radar. Good student but not one of the recognized stars, so when I scored a nice merit scholarship package to a private Division III school out east there was some shock and confusion among most of my peers. There were a few who saw it coming but most of them were stunned and not afraid to show it. :D
When you can do nothing what can you do?