Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Post by elengil »

Beorhtnoth wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:46 pm
"Slag" might not be as inappropriate a name as first appears. ;)
Yes, until the guy brought up the idea of it being "inappropriate" I had only ever known slag to be the stuff you skim off the top of molten metal.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

elengil wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:16 pm
Yes, until the guy brought up the idea of it being "inappropriate" I had only ever known slag to be the stuff you skim off the top of molten metal.
From https://www.etymonline.com/word/slag
slag (n.)
"refuse from smelting," 1550s, from Middle Low German slagge (German Schlacke) "splinter flying off when metal is struck," related to Old High German slahan "to strike, slay
A rather apposite name for a dragon! :D
In a society built on deceit, telling truth is a seditious act
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

"Slag" as "promiscuous woman" is more of a British thing. It is used here as well, but it's less-common, and isn't the first connection I'd make with the name for a dragon.
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

Túrin Turambar wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:29 pm
"Slag" as "promiscuous woman" is more of a British thing. It is used here as well, but it's less-common, and isn't the first connection I'd make with the name for a dragon.
It may be wrong, but I remember being told "slag" as a synonym for "slut" originated in rhyming slang; slag = slag heap = cheap
In a society built on deceit, telling truth is a seditious act
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Unusual guitar stylings.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That was cool! Did they identify the musician (other than "this guy")?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

I have not yet been able to identify him, unfortunately.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Found him! Vitali Makukin, from Crimea.

https://www.vitalymakukin.com/
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Thank you, V!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

From Youtuber Homberguy, a great (and topical) little documentary on the Andrew Wakefield MMR vaccine controversy. I knew the basics of the scandal but not the full story.

[media][/media]
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Túrin Turambar wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:24 pm From Youtuber Homberguy, a great (and topical) little documentary on the Andrew Wakefield MMR vaccine controversy. I knew the basics of the scandal but not the full story.
The video was long so I almost didn't watch it, but I'm glad I did. It moved along nicely and was easy to follow. The claims of Wakefield were a big topic when my daughter was young. I recall doing some reading and discounted him fairly quickly (home computers weren't a thing quite yet), but the autism spectrum and its cause was a big topic, as is the gut/brain connection. I know quite a few people on the spectrum/Aspergers, PDD-NOS, etc.. and most of them have not fallen down this rabbit hole, but it's surprising to me how many people I know are anti-vax, still citing this charlatan.. well that and religion/anti-science, which .. I just don't get it.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

A couple of months back I posted a first-time LotR reaction video. These have proven hugely popular and have proliferated recently. I've found some of them interesting, like this one, which is by an Argentinian in Spanish with English subtitles. Tolkien had a famous distaste for the Frenchification of modern English, and only used names of French etymology to show contempt (e.g. the Sackville-Bagginses). This means that very few of his names are of Latin origin, and hence are meaningless to a Spanish speaker in a way many wouldn't be to a speaker of another Germanic language, like Dutch. Perhaps I should keep an eye out for a Dutch, German or Scandinavian reaction video.

This will also teach you all the Spanish you need to talk about how handsome Viggo Mortensen is for about ten minutes straight :p
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

This could belong in any number of our threads, but I guess I'll just put it here:

This is definitely worth 8 minutes of your time.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Jude, I know far too many people like that poor lady. It makes me sad. It's a real tragedy. It is far easier to brainwash people than I would have ever thought.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Túrin Turambar wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:17 am A couple of months back I posted a first-time LotR reaction video. These have proven hugely popular and have proliferated recently. I've found some of them interesting, like this one, which is by an Argentinian in Spanish with English subtitles......
Thanks, Túrin, for posting this. I spent the entire afternoon watching all seven parts. I didn't mean to, but it was so delightful, I couldn't stop! The entire set is a little over 3 hours. The Argentinian Spanglish was a little hard for me to follow, but the subtitles helped (even though they didn't exactly follow what she said). Her reactions were priceless. I highly recommend it!
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
elengil

Post by elengil »

:rofl:

Can't seem to embed this, link is to a site with a roughly 30 second video clip and music. Must, must, must have the music on to get the laughs.

https://ifunny.co/video/changing-the-so ... LiNk8?s=cl
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:rofl:
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

This is the 30th anniversary of the release of this groundbreaking song by Archie Roach.

Archie was one of the children who suffered the enforced separation of indigenous children from their families, imposed through the Federal and state government official policy of assimilation Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children between 1910 and 1970. The children ended up in Missions or with white foster families who assiduously stripped them of their language, connection to land and culture. Many of these children were never reunited with their family.

They are known as the Stolen Generation.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
elengil

Post by elengil »

:(
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:( We never seem to learn from our mistakes. May we do better.