LOTR on Blue Ray - finally!!

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Thanks for posting that link Elentári. The only game system I have ever owned is Wii so its neat to see this being made for it. My grandson will be over this weekend and I think he will watch this trailer at least a dozen times. When the game arrives I have a funny suspicion I will be checking his wrist strap many times as it look like that Wii control is going to be waving around rather wickedly.

That narrator sounds familiar.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Wait till they bring out the Anduril add-on for Wii controllers ;)

My sons have light-sabres that the controllers slot into and they can take your eye out if you get too close!

SF wrote:
That narrator sounds familiar.
terrible impersonation of Sir Ian, I thought :D
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Looks like fun! I'm sure I... er, I mean my kids... will love it!

:whistle:
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

The Bakshi film comes out on BlueRay on April 6

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ ... ated2.html
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Finally—a clear view of Aragorn's miniskirt.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

:rofl: :rofl:
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'd be curious to see Bakshi's LotR get a proper Special Edition, with interviews and concept art and all the rest. This seems to be just another cash in, with a documentary thrown in. Pity.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Primula Baggins wrote:Finally—a clear view of Aragorn's miniskirt.
Um.

Don't you mean "a clear view UP Aragorn's miniskirt"? =:)
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Have you seen the Aragorn in this film?

Anyway, we have Rowena's take on that particular burning question: there isn't anything to see.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Primula Baggins wrote:Have you seen the Aragorn in this film?

Anyway, we have Rowena's take on that particular burning question: there isn't anything to see.
Depends.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Yes, you can see Aragorn's Depends.

8)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Some more info on the forthcoming videogame "Aragorn's Quest"...seems it will now be launched Fall 2010, not Spring as previously mooted.

This family-friendly action-adventure game, based on the films and literature of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, will ship in fall 2010 for the PlayStation 3 system, PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, PSP system, Wii and Nintendo DS system.

In The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn’s Quest videogame, players become the legendary hero Aragorn and relive his most daring battles from The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The action-packed sword, bow and horseback adventures will be enhanced for players of all ages through high-quality graphics and gameplay created especially for the PlayStation 3 system. Utilizing PlayStation’s upcoming motion controller for precision through mastery, The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn’s Quest videogame engages players with intuitive motion-control gameplay where every controller gesture instantly and accurately translates to weapon strikes in the game. Exclusively for the PlayStation 3 system and Wii, two-player motion controlled co-op gameplay featuring Gandalf allows kids, families and friends to battle side-by-side in the heart of the action.

The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn’s Quest videogame will feature the voice talents of actor Sean Astin (Rudy, The Goonies, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy) and actor and vocal artist John Rhys-Davies (Indiana Jones, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy). Both Astin and Rhys-Davies will reprise their on-screen roles of Samwise Gamgee and Gimli. The game also showcases original in-game music tracks along with music from The Lord of the Rings film scores created by composer Howard Shore.
TORn link
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Does this only refer to the Play Station 3 system? Perhaps the other systems are still as scheduled? The Amazon ad still lists the Play Station version as #2 so maybe this has changed but only for them?????? I hope and my grandson hopes even more.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

That is weird...although there is nothing available on Amazon.co.uk for any of the platforms, Amazon.com seems to indicate the game is available on Wii already in the US:

Aragorn's Quest

Whilst the Nintendo DS, PS2 and PSP versions all say release date May 25, 2010

I think the TORn article must be referring to just the Playstation3 platform, in which case it is misleading...

Even the official website still has them flagged for pre-order in the States, but if you view after clicking on the UK flag, it just says "Coming soon"

http://www.aragornsquest.com./

ETA: just tried to order the Wii version from Amazon.com and says it's unable to ship outside the States :bawl:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

sauronsfinger wrote:The Bakshi film comes out on BlueRay on April 6

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ ... ated2.html
I watched it again last night. I really can't see the point of a blu-ray transfer. The animaiton is of such nature that it is doubtful that any extra layer of detail woudl be revealed by an HD transfer.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

agreed about the Bakshi film on blue ray.
I strongly suspect within a year - perhaps even by Christmas - we see this as a ten buck bargain blue ray DVD.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

sauronsfinger wrote:agreed about the Bakshi film on blue ray.
I strongly suspect within a year - perhaps even by Christmas - we see this as a ten buck bargain blue ray DVD.
And land up in some poor LOTR fan's stocking by misguided(?) well-wishers.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Mahima ....
I think we have all gotten much worse..... I know I have. Bakshi on blue ray would not be a lump of coal ;)
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I'd prefer the lump of coal.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I dunno, I'd get it for 10 bucks. Son and I would get a good laugh out of it together. That kid has absorbed much too much of my sarcasm. :blackeye:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!