Lord of the Rings Online going Free to Play!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Re: Lord of the Rings Online going Free to Play!

Post by narya »

I also have and elf, who I assume can go anywhere.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:48 am I do have a level 3 Man Archer, I could use that one & get to crickhollow?
Playing a hobbit should almost immediately put one in Archet, so no, you can't get to Crickhollow, but she should be going to Archet...

It's not about where you can and can't go - when you first start a character your character's race determines which starting instance you end up in - for the first few levels you are confined to that instance, and so an elf and a man can't start together. But a hobbit and a man can, or an elf and a dwarf. It's just for a few levels, but if you want us to all start together we'd need compatible races for the starting instance, that's all.

the characters can all go everywhere once they're out of that instance, this is just for the very beginning.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil

Post by elengil »

Sorry, update: okay, it's just been a very long time since I started on this side of the board, as it were.

Okay, yes, hobbits start in crickhollow - kill a few spiders, get kidnapped by brigands, then get rescued and end up in Archet. That's the starting instance - the Crickhollow is sort of the "introduction" where it teaches you the very basics of how to play. But the starting instance will take you through a series of quests within that instance and you kind of just have to push through it to get out into the full world at large.

I've got my hobbit there now at last. It doesn't take long to get to Archet.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil

Post by elengil »

My hobbit's name is Helleborn (It should have been Hellebore but every variant of that was already taken, so.. eh close enough)

I tried adding "Skypilot" to my friends but it says you don't exist yet?? Maybe you need to get through the Crickhollow part? I dunno, very odd. Unless I mistyped the name somehow.

Once we're all in Archet together we can form a fellowship and get into the same version of the instance area. (basically it means there's lots of duplicate instances of the same thing so no one gets too many players in it which slows things down. But it means we don't necessarily all end up on the same 'layer' by default. So we'll need to fellowship up and jump layers to get together)
was a 2020 planner.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:48 am I do have a level 3 Man Archer, I could use that one & get to crickhollow?
what's your character name on that one?
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Inannam.

Hey - nothing else worked!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:54 pm Inannam.

Hey - nothing else worked!
Yes, that is the longest part of character creation, finding a name that isn't taken :doh:
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Lol. So do you want to play within the next couple of hours?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Gimme about half an hour and then sure!

Hopefully Narya will be able to join us at some point :)
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Excellent.
elengil

Post by elengil »

lol sorry, 5 more minutes. Just loading up now.
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Me too. Just starting it.
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

OK, my definition of morning is before noon, local time. So I think I got to Archet, which was on fire, and Strider told me to leave, so I did. :D
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That’s when we played - from noon to 1:00pm NY time, which would be 9:00-10:00 am for you.
elengil

Post by elengil »

narya wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:23 pm OK, my definition of morning is before noon, local time. So I think I got to Archet, which was on fire, and Strider told me to leave, so I did. :D
Yay! Yes, that's it. As laundry is out of the question until water is back, I'm free to play if you want?
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Did you guys connect?

Now that my jet-laggy early nights are all done, I can play around 10:00pm NY time (7:00pm west coast) for 30-40 minutes on a regular basis, if anyone is interested???
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

No connection yet. This retired gal doesn't like to get up relatively early if she doesn't have to. On the other hand, 7 PM Pacific Time is doable. I'm really not getting into it as a single person going around beating things up, but maybe a group experience will be better.
elengil

Post by elengil »

narya wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:34 am No connection yet. This retired gal doesn't like to get up relatively early if she doesn't have to. On the other hand, 7 PM Pacific Time is doable. I'm really not getting into it as a single person going around beating things up, but maybe a group experience will be better.
It also may simply not be to your taste. LotRO's appeal is that its Middle-earth, yes, but that's the appeal if you already like MMOs. If you don't, then no setting is going to really fix that.
was a 2020 planner.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Thought I'd share this - I might go poking around just to see it
LotRO's Before The Shadow Launches Today, Bringing The Largest Land Drop In MMO's History
https://www.mmorpg.com/previews/lotros- ... 2000126650
was a 2020 planner.