Tsunami was Gods Retribution?

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Sorry that I disappeared from this thread after last weekend - I've had a very chaotic week, and I'm about to have two more. I just came back to this thread to catch up, and I'm most sorry to see SirD seemingly taking his leave. I was still planning to respond to you (i.e. to continue our exchange from last weekend), but I won't if you are really done with this thread. It seems as though the problem that has been identified in this thread - of premises that non-believers will not share with believers - will recur. If you are willing to respond to this, though: if a poster was to cite Hindu or Muslim scriptures as being definitive concerning the existence or characteristics of God (capitalized for the sake of argument) ... how would you respond? To the extent that their scriptures contradict your understanding of your God, would you be willing to take the contrary premises of their scriptures as true/valid/authoritative concerning divine characteristics, without ever pointing out that you do not accept/believe in those religions' premises?

Al, I hadn't heard TS before, but I assumed it was like OP. I thought it was fairly common Internet etiquette to refer to the OP as such later on in the thread (especially when the OP has left the thread, explicitly or seemingly), and I'd also not realized it would be offensive to do so.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Thanks Nel. Actually on the winding road to where I am now, I spent quite a bit of time exploring Hinduism and attending the only Hindu temple in the area at the time the Bhaktivedanta Cultural Centre (named for its founder Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, who some may know preached Krishna to North America). That was in the 90's. Also I have counted among my closest friends a man from Iran who is also Muslim, and a fellow from Vietnam who built the Buddhist Temple in my last place of residence, his mother being the head monk for the region.

Anyway, as far as I know, I can get on quite well with people who are from different faiths even when our conversation (which is often) shifts to God. There is not much point arguing about which God (or lack of God) is real as he will reveal himself if and when he wants to. (Besides the scriptures tell me not to do that.) Regardless, yes I would be willing to consider how other religious texts make sense within themselves. The only religious texts I stridently avoid are Wicca and related texts because of bad experiences with such when I was young and still get a weird vibe around to this day.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

nerdanel wrote: Al, I hadn't heard TS before, but I assumed it was like OP. I thought it was fairly common Internet etiquette to refer to the OP as such later on in the thread (especially when the OP has left the thread, explicitly or seemingly), and I'd also not realized it would be offensive to do so.
I don't know if its offensive elsewhere or to other people, but it is to me, here. Its a small community where we all know each other, not a sprawling TORC or TORN. It would be like someone referring to me in the third person in my living room. Maybe I'm oversensitive? Funny, I always thought I was the hardest person to offend round here. Guess we all have our buttons.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Alatar wrote:
nerdanel wrote: Al, I hadn't heard TS before, but I assumed it was like OP. I thought it was fairly common Internet etiquette to refer to the OP as such later on in the thread (especially when the OP has left the thread, explicitly or seemingly), and I'd also not realized it would be offensive to do so.
I don't know if its offensive elsewhere or to other people, but it is to me, here. Its a small community where we all know each other, not a sprawling TORC or TORN. It would be like someone referring to me in the third person in my living room. Maybe I'm oversensitive? Funny, I always thought I was the hardest person to offend round here. Guess we all have our buttons.
I'm with you on this.
Dig deeper.