Fabulously beautiful book.

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
vison
Best friends forever

Fabulously beautiful book.

Post by vison »

I saw this on ABE books - so incredibly beautiful.

Look at it, then check the price on the 2 copies ABE has for sale. I would buy it, if I had the money. :love:
Dig deeper.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

It is beautiful. I have a small collection of haggadot; I guess I can dream of adding this to it.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Ax - that is a true work of art and labour of love :love:

I do hope the Tolkien Estate might allow a facsimile to be published...I'm sure I'm not the only one who would dearly like to own a copy!!

btw, that link is a rather convoluted way to get to the interview - the Tolkien Library also features the interview, and a few extra pictures...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

No, the link to that on Facebook where I saw it first would be the convoluted way. :D
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I've been lucky enough to have been given this book for free today at work...

Nominated for the Kate Greenaway Award in 2010, it's primarily a children's book - aimed at around 9+, but the handsome gilded binding and beautiful paintings by Pavel Tatarnikov give it a feel of a more mature coffee table book. The very few images I found on the web don't do the book justice but the illustratons really are stunning...Medieval in style with a Russian feel, (in places they almost have the look of ikons) they are full of captivating detail whilst still conveying a sense of magic and the fantastical.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

axordil wrote:Along similar lines...

http://wins.failblog.org/2011/08/30/epi ... cript-win/
Following the fabulous lluminated Silmarillion that Ax linked to, above, comes this beautiful handbound edition of the SIL by Heather Stevick...

The leather cover of her copy of The Silmarillion features the Two Trees, Telperion and Laurelin, each done in silver leaf and imitation gold leaf respectively. The fruits of each tree, however, are created using palladium and gold, materials that will not easily tarnish over time as the silver and imitation gold will. This was done deliberately.

“When I re-read the book in preparation for binding it, I was struck by the theme of decay, and so I wanted that to be represented in my binding. I decided to make use of materials that will tarnish over time…

…Over time, the book will literally enact the destruction of the Two Trees. But the flower in Telperion’s branches and the fruit in Laurelin’s are tooled in palladium and gold, respectively, so they will stay bright. In the book, this last fruit and flower become the Sun and the Moon.”

But she didn’t stop there. Heather Stevick also incorporated the theme of the Silmarils along the three edges of the book: “one in the airs of heaven, and one in the fires of the heart of the world, and one in the deep waters” as written by Tolkien.

More pictures and further description can be found over at Heather's Blog Bookwyrmbound
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That's gorgeous! I really like the design on the edges of the pages.
Lusitano

Post by Lusitano »

Elentári

That is a beautifull cover for the Sil. Simple but so enchanting.
:bow:

My Silmarillion cover is the John Howe painting of Gondolin.
Ride a bike, eat a cupcake, smile.
Get outside and enjoy the fresh air. Let your body work for you as part of your everyday routine, not as “exercise.”
Then reward your body with a sugar high. You deserve it.
And ease up a little on yourself : perfection is an unworthy goal. Everything will balance itself out in the end.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I think that was mine also. Too bad it fell off.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Mine has JRRT's painting of Taniquetil Image

(I purchased TH, LotR, The Sil and UT all in the same editions with different Tolkien watercolours on the covers :) )
~Diana Cortes