The Kindle Books and Resources List

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
RoseMorninStar

Re: The Kindle Books and Resources List

Post by RoseMorninStar »

OK, thanks Frelga, got it. No overdrive or kindle option though.. only Mobi which it says Amazon won't be allowing at some point later this year. UGH :pullhair: I hate setting up new devices!
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:Oh! Do you mean Overdrive on Kindle?

That penny has been dropping a long way!
No…. I mean overdrive app on my phone.

And kindle app on my phone.

Separate apps.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:The Tor free book of the month is The Border Keeper by Kerstin Hall.

Anyone heard of it?
I’ve been slowly plowing through it. It’s…. Intriguing.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I started it and then forgot it existed. Glad you reminded me.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I can't be bothered to scroll back through the threads here, but am wondering if any of you have come across Early Bird Book Deals, where you can download E-books for as little as 99 cents!

Here's a link. The deals are usually only available for 24 hours. https://earlybirdbooks.com/best-ebook-d ... 0Canadians

This is the Canadian site. I am sure the U.S. has one as well! Sometimes books for sale on (for instance) Amazon.com are full price on Amazon.ca, and vica versa. Although most books are Kindle editions, some are Kobo, or Google.

Anyway, it's a great way to get e-books for cheap, and since the list comes out daily, I'm downloading more books than I can keep up with!! :rofl:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If you are into cyberpunk.
https://www.rudyrucker.com/mirrorshades/

There's a discussion in the thread about how to import the file into Kindle.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I had to do a major paper and seminar on a book for Gr. 13 English. I chose to do it on The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Gr. 13 was a long time ago, and I've forgotten a lot about the book. Mainly because it's been mentioned on banned book lists lately, I decided it was time to do a reread. I was able to download it to my Kindle for free from Project Gutenberg

The main reason for the book being banned is usually cited as the use of the 'n' word to describe people of colour.

It will come as a surprise to no one on this board to find it's not the 'n' word that's the problem. It's the book's positive portrayal of Jim, a runaway slave who hooks up with Huck on his journey along the Mississippi, and the negative portrayal of slavery. Jim's ambition is to get far enough north that he will be in a free state, then find a job and work to buy his wife and children, who are still enslaved. He misses them terribly, and at night while he's on watch on the raft, Huck often hears him moaning and crying out their names.

Yeah, let's ban the book because it makes whites feel uncomfortable about slavery... Those that want it banned probably still think slavery was a good thing.

Let's not forget it's only been a little more than 50 years since the civil rights marches in the U.S. and the overturning of the Jim Crow laws, and the K.K.K. is still very much alive and well in the southern states.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The current Humble Bundle has 6 Murderbot audiobooks in the mp3 format. They are bundled with 14 other titles I've never heard about.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/mart ... ooks-books

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

"Clockwork Boys" by T. Kingfisher is on sale for Kindle for $2.49 today, if you like your fantasy adventure with romance and a bit of horror on the side. It's kinda half of the story, but the 2nd book is only 3.50.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I think I already own it. Let me check!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

And Paladin's Grace is 99c. It's the first book of the Saint of Steel series and while the second one is my favorite, this one is very good.

Eta: also by T. Kingfisher

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

For a limited time, Tasting History Cookbook is just 7.99 on Amazon in hardcover.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Bookshop.org had free shipping and a 20% off sale on selected titles, if you prefer your books in tangible form.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Dems some good deals!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Does Apple Books ever have sales on like Kindle does?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Alatar wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:40 am https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=120337246011

Tolkien on sale on Kindle today
Missed it :bawl:
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.