Nobels 2012, etc.

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Re: Nobels 2012, etc.

Post by narya »

The cool thing about chili peppers is that birds don't register pain/heat when eating them. Plants evidently developed this because the seeds would get a wider dispersal via birds than via mammals. More here:

https://eugene.wbu.com/birds-and-hot-pepper
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

And then humans.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

TIL From the bird article that Capsicum is the genus name; Indians call the sweet green fatty pepper capsicum 🫑.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Ozzies call all sweet peppers capsicum (red, or yellow or green); and all hot peppers either chillis or ... hot peppers.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That’s the same as Indians, then. We just never had red or yellow while growing up. Must be how the Brits do it…
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

In the US (or at least, in my chunk of the US) we call the sweet ones sweet or bell peppers. The hot ones we either call chili peppers, hot peppers, or by name (jalapeño, habanero, Anaheim, etc)
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

And in California, things get even more complicated, depending upon if the pepper is fresh or dried:

(Dried habañeros are called....habañeros)
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Wait... chipotle is just dried jalapeno?? I thought chipotle was a completely different pepper??? :shock:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Me too. TIL.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Live and learn.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

This is certainly one of the most timely Nobel Prize awards in recent years.

Voronwë the Faithful

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

It's not the demotion that people are pissed about. It's the fact that now that Kariko played a leading role in saving the world Penn is claiming her as one of theirs...and she saved the world with the exact same research they demoted her over. In other words, Penn appears to be taking credit for research and a researcher they initially scorned. It's not a good look for Penn.

An apology at this point, imho, would be pointless and cute. Kariko's achieved the ultimate recognition in her field. What Penn needs to do is figure out how to celebrate her while acknowledging the truth of their role in her story. She won the Nobel despite them, not because of them, and they'd do well to remember that.

I was honestly stunned the mRNA vaccines made it out of Phase 1. I was sure someone was going to die of a runaway immune response. I was actually surprised they even made it to Phase 1. Those of us who've received the mRNA vaccines would do well to spare a thought for the lab animals that died horribly on the path to making this happen. I certainly do.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

River wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:41 pm Those of us who've received the mRNA vaccines would do well to spare a thought for the lab animals that died horribly on the path to making this happen. I certainly do.
Amen! Aṣẹ!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Just read the article - she hasn't been at Penn for over a decade, yet they are claiming her as 'one of their own'!
I'd be pissed off as hell! :x :x
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

I meant to post this yesterday. A very worthy choice.