Here we go again (another law suit)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Beutlin

Re: Here we go again (another law suit)

Post by Beutlin »

Question for V: I recently visited my relatives in another part of the country and had a chat with my uncle-in-law who is a lawyer specializing in copyright law. I briefly asked him about the copyright length of posthumously published works (such as “The Silmarillion”) and he told me that in most countries the copyright of such works ends 50 years after publication.

a.) Does this mean that stories of the Silmarillion could be turned into films after 2027?
b.) Or would the copyright still extend to 2043, seventy years after JRR’s passing?
c.) Or, due to Christopher’s heavy editing of the “Silmarillion”, is he classified as a co-author and therefore must be taken into account, thereby extending the copyright to somewhere after 2087?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

My best guess would be C.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Copyrights can also be renewed by a writer's heirs. My 50th anniversary copy of LotR indicates that Christopher renewed the copyright in the early 1980s. Of course, that's the U.S. copyright.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King