Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - 6 Hour BBC Miniseries!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - 6 Hour BBC Miniseries!

Post by Impenitent »

Thank you. That means we may have it in Jan-Feb next year.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

There are ways and means! ;)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

And I would be looking into those!

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Norrell.jpg
Norrell.jpg (75.86 KiB) Viewed 14440 times
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ooooh.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

And, it's coming to BBC America on June 13.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/jonathan-stra ... r-norrell/
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yayyy. Have to see how I can see it. Don't know if BBC America has on demand.

---------------
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Alatar wrote:There are ways and means! ;)
With the Dallas Buyers fracas in Australia, any ways or means other than paid or free to air are increasingly risky.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, I finally got round to starting this! Ep one was very promising. :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't recall whether you read the book, and if so, if you were a fan. Either way, I am pleased to hear that you find it promising.

I recently reread the book yet again. The only book that I have ever gotten as much appreciation out of rereads of is LOTR, and I don't think I was moved to reread it as often as JS&MN as soon after first reading it. It is a book that almost seems designed with me in mind.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:bang:

I have got to figure out how to break through into this book. This and the Silmarillion (probably the Silmarillion most) are the most frustrating reading experiences of my life. Why don't I get it? What am I blind to? I can read and love frigging Islandia, plus Trollope, plus Dickens at his most annoying . . . why can't I bust through into receiving and enjoying this book so many of my intelligent, perceptive, wonderful friends love, and love discussing? :bawling:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I think I may have been the first on these boards to read it actually. I remember picking it up blind, having heard nothing about it and recommending it here. However, I haven't read it since, so its like rediscovering the story anew while watching. That said, everything I'm seeing rings true. I don't think anything so far has strayed from the books.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Prim, this intelligent person was not into this book, either, so don't feel too bad. ;) I don't. :P

I know why it did not capture me - I never lost the sense that I was reading a book, never really got my head into the world. It just felt like the author was showing their work throughout. Which actually makes me think that the story may benefit from the adaptation. What little I saw of it looks great.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Different stokes for different folks. I tried to read Islandia and couldn't get through that, and I think I would not be able to get through Trollope if you offered me a million bucks to do so (maybe). And, of course, I was never able to appreciate Sir Terry, despite the best efforts of my friends.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I can totally understand why people don't go for Islandia. It is a weird book, oddly structured and slow. Its author wrote it for his own pleasure, not for publication, and what's published is actually greatly trimmed down by his daughter, with a lot of historical and geological (!) detail removed. Yet to me it feels like a vivid journey through a real place, filled with real people—not every leg of the trip is fascinating in itself, and actually not a lot happens in this story; but it's all very real and beautiful to me. But if you don't or can't catch the spell of it, it probably seems endless and aimless. And the main character starts out pretty thick-headed. For me, though, re-reading it is like taking a vacation in a uniquely beautiful country.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

So I missed the premiere on TV but just went to the BBC America website & they have it posted online. Muwahahaha.

I will try & watch it this weekend. :)

---------------
Voronwë the Faithful

I'll be curious to hear what you think of it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's on demand on Xfinity, free.

I think I'm the only person in the world who adores Comcast.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - 6 Hour BBC Miniseries!

Post by Inanna »

It's also on demand on Verizon free. Not in HD (the free one).

I started it & had to stop as irika woke up with an ear pain again. :(. Will try on the iPad now.... Because I loved loved all that I saw, and don't want to postpone it till tomorrow. Plus the SD was annoying.

ETA: dammit, the website has posted episode 2, and taken down episode 1.

Episode 2 it is, I saw half of episode 1, so shd be fine.

Eta2: it's not the whole episode! Just the trailer. Boo hoo hoo.

---------------
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Saw it. Loved it. The acting is superb, the characters well chosen. So impressed.

Will see Episode 2 soon.

---------------