Star Trek: Into Darkness

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, fun, Impy! I'm glad you extracted promises first. :D

The girls are going with me. Freddy cannot go, though. :( I have promised him that I will go see it again with him when he can go. (Gee, darn!) We are going with our friends. 3D (which I'm not overly thrilled with but it is what it is). My best friend, J., is going to have to pretend. Or at least keep her snoring to a minimum. The rest of us, especially her husband, her boys, and me, will be spellbound, I'm sure. :happydance:

(Sorry for the bad grammar up there. One glass of wine--I'm a total lightweight.)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I trust you will post your thoughts, spoilers and all.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I will. :D But I will put them in spoiler tags for people who are trying to be spoil-free.

I'm excited!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

There is no way not to enjoy this movie. It was awesome! And Cumberbatch rocks!
Hidden text.
It does pack more of a punch for longtime trekkers though. The whole damn movie is full of homages!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Agreed!

[disclaimer]It's 3:15am, so please forgive any grammar issues or poorly worded thoughts.[/disclaimer]

I will grudgingly admit that Crucifer was right; it is best to wait. The movie was awesome. You'll love it even more if you're familiar with the whole deal already, but I still think you'll enjoy it if you're not. I sat next to my best friend who is not a sci-fi/Star Trek fan. She missed the inside jokes and the other elements that will strike a chord with Trekkies, but she seemed to enjoy it nonetheless. (Well, she didn't love it, but she thought it was good. And there were plenty of other things for her to laugh at or enjoy even without knowing the backstory.)

I really have to say that I think it might ruin the impact of the movie if I say who Cumberbatch is, so, if you can, don't reveal the spoiler ahead. Nonetheless, I promised, so...

Hidden text.
He is Khan. You won't get a clear answer on that till quite a bit into the movie, though.
As for the plot, well, do NOT reveal this spoiler till you've seen the movie. Trust me. You'll want to be surprised. I just want to discuss it with Alatar and anyone else who may have seen it already:

Hidden text.
Oh my goodness! So my friend, being a smartass, asked me at the beginning when Pike died, "Are you crying?" And I said, "No, it's going to take a lot more than that, like Kirk dying or something." That whole parallel scene was amazing. I don't think it will have as much meaning to someone who hasn't seen Wrath of Khan, though. J didn't quite get it, but I was quite sniffly.
Anyway, very good! Very entertaining! I forgot what time it was and was on the edge of my seat, literally, for many parts of it. (I can't stand heights!)

Now I have to go try to go to sleep!
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks Lali and Alatar! It probably will be a couple of weeks before I'll get to see it, but I look forward to it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

<stares grumpily at black spoiler bars>

<resolves to see movie this weekend somehow>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

How spoilery would those spoilers be for someone whose experience of Star Trek is limited to watching a handful of NextGen episodes in the 90s?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Well, I revealed who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing. It depends on if you want to know that beforehand.

Spoiler just for you Dave. (It's not super spoilery, just trying to answer your question more fully.)
Hidden text.
If you're not really that familiar with the whole ST thing, then it may not matter to you who Cumberbatch is playing. When he reveals who he is in the movie, it may not impact you as much. So it's really up to you on if you want to know ahead of time.
But don't reveal the last spoiler I posted till after you've seen it. It hints at what the ending is too much, and that will ruin it, I think.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Dave_LF wrote:How spoilery would those spoilers be for someone whose experience of Star Trek is limited to watching a handful of NextGen episodes in the 90s?
I watched 3 seasons of TNG a couple years ago, along with the last Star Trek movie, and the spoiler meant nothing to me.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Well, there you go. :) An insider's perspective.

(But, still, don't reveal the last one.)
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Ok; the first one indeed told me little. I don't know when or if I'm going to see this, so no sense putting too much effort into avoiding info.
Voronwë the Faithful

I looked at everything. And I don't expect it to negatively affect my experience at all.

But I'm weird. (as has already been determined)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Not gonna look. No no no no.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Normally I'm like that, too, Voronwë. :) But it was good for me to wait this time.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I have spoken to Mr. Prim and decreed that we will be seeing this movie this weekend. He said he was wondering why it was taking me so long to issue the directive.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:D

I hope it's not too much of a spoiler, but the prime directive does factor into the movie. ;)
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Lalaith wrote::D

I hope it's not too much of a spoiler, but the prime directive does factor into the movie. ;)

It sure was never actually followed in the original show. :)

I made my family promise to take me to this for my mother's day gift. I think we are going this weekend. Woot!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Its rare that this happens to me so soon, but I really want to see this again.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Me too! I'm trying to arrange a time next week to go with my brother and Freddy.

Did you see it in 3D?