The Desolation of Smaug anticipation thread [SPOILERS]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Nope - but I'll certainly look out for it next time!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Confirmed. I only spotted two shots of Bombur on a stretcher, but they are definitely there. It is clearest when Bilbo is hallucinating, and sees himself walking behind him (in place of Dori). When the false Bilbo looks ahead at the real Bilbo, you see some dwarves carrying a stretcher with Bombur on it.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Not quite sure if this is the best place for it, but IncredibleSmaug over on TORn, who brought you a transcript of AUJ - has followed up with one for DoS...

The Hobbit: TDOS - FULL MOVIE TRANSCRIPT (with images)

There is also a version without images, linked within.

one notable thing that has come to light is a translation of the Elvish that Tauriel mumbles whilst healing Kili:
"May the blessing that was given to me be sent from me to him, may he be released from death"

Emulating Arwen much...even though she is a 'lesser' Elf?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Perhaps it's in the Elvish Book of Common Prayer. :D
Gorthaur the Cruel

Post by Gorthaur the Cruel »

Elentári wrote:... one notable thing that has come to light is a translation of the Elvish that Tauriel mumbles whilst healing Kili:
"May the blessing that was given to me be sent from me to him, may he be released from death"

Emulating Arwen much...even though she is a 'lesser' Elf?
Still immortal, though, and still able to confer that grace to another who is at death's door. It was a replay of the Arwen/Frodo moment, hence the radiant glow.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Just done much, much better.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Just done much, much better.
Nope.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Smaug's voice wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Just done much, much better.
Nope.
I didn't mind Arwen's blubbing over Frodo that much, but for those that did, I would say in that case, both scenes are just as cringeworthy!
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Two lego characters filmed silently with an old 8 mm camera would be much, much better than the Arwen sniffling over Frodo scene.

Edit: Cheers! Elen.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'll never understand why people have such a problem with that scene. It never registered in any negative way with me. There were sooooo many other worse scenes, like Nuclear Galadriel and Magic Stairway that I don't see why so many people have such a problem with empathic grief.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

You and I are pretty much in agreement about the stairway, I think, I so I won't belabor that. But comparing blubbering Arwen to nuclear Galadriel, the latter (to me) is a misfired attempt at least trying to capture something that is consistent with the character. The former is tonally as far away from my conception of Arwen as I could imagine.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

That has nothing to do with how the scene worked in the movie. Your preconceptions are your own.
Voronwë the Faithful

It has everything to do with how the scene works in the movie for me!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

The first few times I saw FotR the scene didn't bother me in the least. But thar came later on.
Anyhow, if we are to compare both scenes are cringeworthy but Arwen's is lesser so because:

A) it is about 10 seconds. While the other goes on for atleast 2 minutes
I think.
B) Liv Tyler speaks more fluent Elvish than EL (imo).
C) the whole scene, from the looks on their faces to the slo-mo is
melodramatic. Personally it's the most cringeworthy scene in all the
films so far.
Last edited by Smaug's voice on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

And V, I know I can't change your opinion on this and I am not trying to.
So that's that. :)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:You and I are pretty much in agreement about the stairway, I think, I so I won't belabor that. But comparing blubbering Arwen to nuclear Galadriel, the latter (to me) is a misfired attempt at least trying to capture something that is consistent with the character. The former is tonally as far away from my conception of Arwen as I could imagine.
Arwen crying about Frodo dying is as tonally as far away as you could imagine? :scratch: Sure, Liv overacts that moment, but her being very sad about what's happening then isn't some crazy character stretch!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I'll always say that regardless of the implausible physics and the silly Gimli line, the collapsing stairway fits well in the Moria narrative. :P
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It fits well in an Indiana Jones film. Moria, not so much.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

It's funny, but when I think to myself that the falling stairway in Moria has never bothered me one iota I realize why some people don't have problems with PJ's HOBBIT... :blackeye:
~Diana Cortes
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

And it hadn't ever even occurred to me that there was something wrong with the falling stairs until I heard Al complain about it. :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists