The Expanse

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: The Expanse

Post by Inanna »

I downloaded all of season 5 for my looong flight. But ended up rewatching Good Omens, instead.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Alatar wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:45 pm You're missing out badly Maria.
We are now back to watching this series, and Bobbie is recovering from the character assassination the writers put her through. :P Now that that's over I can enjoy the series again. Thanks for saying that, Alatar. :)

For those who have read the Vorkosigan saga: It occurs to me that Amos is messed up almost exactly as much as Bothari is, and for much the same reasons.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Maria, the last two episodes of the series are showing this Thursday and next Thursday. The series covers thru Book 6, plus concurrent novellas. I will be sad to see the series ending.

I just finished reading Book 9. I do hope they eventually pick up the series again and address Books 7, 8, and 9, and concurrent novellas, thought that would mean aging everyone to account for the 20-30 years between Book 6 and Book 7. The end of Book 9 was pretty mind blowing. I will say no more.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ooooh….
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

The latest Expanse novella just popped into my Libby queue and was promptly consumed and returned. "The Sins of our Fathers" takes place after the 9th novel, so do NOT read it until you finish the 9th novel (Leviathan Falls) as it has major spoilers about the 9th novel. And even then, you may not want to read it, because it takes one of the characters to a place I was hoping that character would not go. :(

Maria - I noticed the similarity with Bothari and Amos as well. Perhaps it is an emerging trope.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Just finished book 9. Will explore the novella…
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

I went to the monthly Zoom-mini-moot today with Jude and we talked about, among other things, The Expanse. I'm not going to say how many times I have seen the series and read (listened to) the books, but it's probably not up to the level of repeat reading of the LOTR books over the years, or rewatching of the LOTR movies. The LOTR books and movies got me through some seriously dark times.

I recently came across a Facebook page dedicated to The Expanse that is full of inquisitive, argumentative people discussing the Screen and the Books, in a way reminiscent of old TORC. It gives me the warm fuzzies. It's here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/rociposting/. There are over 16k members, but only about 20 new topics per day. By week two of my involvement with it, I was labeled a "top contributor". What can I say - I like discussing minutia about some of my favorite books.