Rest in Peace PTerry :(

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Rest in Peace PTerry :(

Post by Alatar »

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31858156

Fantasy author Sir Terry Pratchett has died aged 66, having had Alzheimer's disease for eight years.

"The world has lost one of its brightest, sharpest minds," said Larry Finlay of his publishing company, Transworld.

Best known for the Discworld series, Sir Terry wrote more than 70 books over his lengthy career.

He was first diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2007, but continued writing, completing his final book last summer.

The author died at home "with his cat sleeping on his bed, surrounded by his family," Mr Finlay said.
Terry Pratchett in his garden The author wrote most of his novels at his home in Broad Chalke, a village west of Salisbury.

"In over 70 books, Terry enriched the planet like few before him," he added.

"As all who read him know, Discworld was his vehicle to satirize this world: He did so brilliantly, with great skill, enormous humour and constant invention.

"Terry faced his Alzheimer's disease (an 'embuggerance', as he called it) publicly and bravely. Over the last few years, it was his writing that sustained him. His legacy will endure for decades to come.

"My sympathies go out to Terry's wife Lyn, their daughter Rhianna, to his close friend Rob Wilkins, and to all closest to him."

The Discworld series - which started in 1983 - was based in a flat world perched on the backs of four elephants which, in turn, stand on the back of a giant turtle. By 2013, he had written more than 40 instalments.

At the peak of his writing powers, Sir Terry was publishing more than three books a year. His quirky and satirical view of the world won him a worldwide following.

At the turn of the century, he was Britain's second most-read author, beaten only by JK Rowling.

Known for his striking dress sense and large black fedora, Sir Terry was awarded an OBE for services to literature in 1998.

In August, 2007, it was reported he had suffered a stroke, but the following December he announced that he had been diagnosed with a very rare form of early-onset Alzheimer's disease which, he said, "lay behind this year's phantom stroke".
Terry Pratchett knighted Sir Terry was knighted by the Queen in 2009

Knighted in 2009, he said: "It would appear to me that me getting up and saying 'I've got Alzheimer's', it did shake people."

"The thing about Alzheimer's is there are few families that haven't been touched by the disease.

"People come up to me and talk about it and burst into tears; there's far more awareness about it and that was really what I hoped was going to happen."
Terry Pratchett Sir Terry approached his Alzheimer's diagnosis with a pragmatic sense of humour

His death was announced on his Twitter account, on Thursday afternoon.

The first tweet was composed in capital letters - which was how the author portrayed the character of Death in his novels.

"AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER," it stated.

"Terry took Death's arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night."

"The End".

Despite campaigning for assisted suicide after his diagnosis, Sir Terry's publishers said he did not take his own life.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Rest in Peace PTerry :(

Post by Frelga »

Saw it on TORC. Crying at my desks.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I was sorry to hear this. :(
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Me, too :(
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

:(
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm so sorry. He was brilliant and beloved. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I've been expecting and dreading this news.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I've seen this disease take family members, an seen the suffering it causes to many of the patients I nursed, turning them into empty shells that had to wear diapers, be fed through tubes, and turned every 2 hours to prevent bedsores. It seems his illness did not drag on as long as many who have this disease, and I am grateful his family was spared that.

I am also glad he did not have to resort to assisted suicide. I am not against it, but it is still a very touchy, controversial subject, and I'm sure his family didn't need that burden at the end of his life.

So sad it had to end this way... :cry:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm going to move this thread to the Library, since I think it is more appropriate there, but I'll leave a shadow.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:(. I will miss him so much.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Crying also at my desk. "Men at Arms" is the book that's been walking me home this week.
Frelga, thank you, thank you, for being my introduction to Pratchett--who has enriched my life so much.

Tears are now splashing on my knees, by the way. Something in the way they bounce about puts me in mind of the snowflakes in Wintersmith.
:(
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Terrible news to wake up to :( . So sad.

I was introduced to his work about 8 years by former TORCer Romestamo, who lent me The Witches three book compendium. And then Romestamo vanished; he'd been very unwell and I assumed the worst :( . The borrowed book is still on my shelf, and I think of Rom with gratitude every time I see that book, or read or think of Pratchett.

Your memories are a blessing, PTerry and Romestamo.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Those of you who haven't read/didn't like PTerry's fiction, I would urge you to read his non fiction collection of short essays - A slip of a keyboard

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I loved his books, loved how his mind worked, loved how his wit sparkled, loved that his witches were strong and eccentric, loved that his world rested on a turtle, loved that Death spoke LIKE THIS.

What a sad loss.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I picked up my first Pratchett book at Ad Astra, Toronto's annual science fiction and fantasy conference. It was "Wee Free Men", and I laughed SO hard, I finally had to (very reluctantly) put it away for the night, because I was keeping my room-mate awake.

Okay, I MIGHT have snuck into the bathroom and closed the door, so I could keep reading for a bit longer... :blackeye:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

From XKCD:

eborr

Post by eborr »

I was never a fan, but my eldest son was, we travelled a few hundred miles from Botswana to a book signing in jo burg in 1998, he had the good grace to listen to our tale of travel, and then left a lasting impression on an 11 year old. A top man
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If you thought you were done crying over PTerry

How To Tell If You Are In A Terry Pratchett Novel
No matter what country you find yourself in, someone always offers you a cutthroat deal on very dubious-looking sausages in buns.

You’ve sung every verse of “All the Little Angels,” which at first seems silly, but then gains significance until the very question “How do they rise up?” makes you unexpectedly weepy. Soldiers’ songs are alike that way: sentimental with naughty bits in, and sung by voices you hear only in your memory.

You have a matter-of-fact way of explaining complex systems of institutionalized social inequality using household objects; i.e., socks and boots.

You know the difference between stories that want you to believe what you are told, and the ones that want to help you learn. There is nothing so powerful as a story — and nothing so human.

You may live in a ridiculous world full of lies, but you hold fast to the important lies of fairness, mercy, and human dignity. Even if you never find a single molecule of fairness, the fantasy of it is what unites the falling angel to the rising ape. It’s what makes us human.
And lots more
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That's a nice article. Esp the footnotes tough.

Oh Terry's footnotes - an art form.

---------------
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Did you see the comments, Frelga, really cool additions...

You carefully avoid falling in the river, but it's not drowning you're afraid of.

You know all the verses of "A Wizards Staff has a Knob on the End" You have written most of them yourself. Well not written, so much as sung at length and so loudly that the verses have imprinted themselves on the minds of those drinking with you.

You know that the secret to success is to hit a probability of exactly 1:1,000,000.

Read more at http://the-toast.net/2015/03/16/how-to- ... YP5vgzm.99