Lord of the Rings series!?

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: Lord of the Rings series!?

Post by Alatar »

Wow.

“There must have been a mighty crowd of dwarves here once upon a time… and everyone of them busier than badgers for five hundred years to make all this, and most in hard rock too! What did they do it all for? They didn’t live in these darksome holes surely?”

“These are not holes… This is the great realm and city of the Dwarrowdelf. And of old it was not darksome, but full of light and splendour, as is still remembered in our songs.”
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Indeed.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Have we seen this?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well I hadn’t! Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Voronwë the Faithful

Another one I hadn't seen.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I've been out of the loop with the hype cycle (I like not to get too caught up in it with most media noawadays), but I've decided I will probably subscribe for at least the first month. Most of October I will be out of the country. When I get back I will have a good idea from both personal impressions and general consensus whether I want to finish the first season.

I can respect Voronwë not wanting to subscribe to Amazon on principle, I very rarely buy from them anymore myself. However in my personal conscience I don't mind giving Bezos this small amount of money in this case.
Voronwë the Faithful

Perfectly reasonable, k_z. I'll be interested to hear what you think. I'll probably watch it eventually.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

So far, I like this much more than PJ’s Middle Earth. These showrunners lean poetry over prose, and that feels very appropriate when adapting Tolkien. Looking forward to the 3rd episode next week.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
“He went alone to look in Mirrormere.” - The Book of Mazarbul
Voronwë the Faithful

Glad you liked it. I hope you have more to say!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I’m reading the appendices rapidly now & then I plan to see it. :D
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I’d suggest not reading the appendices. There’s enough changes to bother you if you know, that won’t if you don’t. So to speak. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Nah. It will drive me insane.

I did this with Jonathan strange. Sat down to see the series, didn’t remember details from the book - kept wondering “is this a change??” Finally stopped watching & reread the book.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Glad you liked it. I hope you have more to say!
I think I’ll reserve a proper full review (ala my film reviews, which as you know are interminably long) for when season one is over! That way I can review a coherent full story, rather than puzzle over unfinished threads. In the meantime, if you’d like to read my mid-stream thoughts, I chat about them in the spoiler section of the TORN Discord.

eborr

Post by eborr »

Hello everyone, I was deeply sceptical of this series, however after watching the first two shoes I was pleasantly surprised. One thing I cannot get if the elven haircuts, the sculptured locks imply in every elf town, next to the hall of fire there is a salon, where the mighty craftsman weild their snippers and heated tongs. As for the high kings Uber mullet, that completely de-immershed me, or whatever the opposite of immersion is.
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
eborr

Post by eborr »

Hello everyone, I was deeply sceptical of this series, however after watching the first two shows I was pleasantly surprised. One thing I cannot get if the elven haircuts, the sculptured locks imply in every elf town, next to the hall of fire there is a salon, where the mighty craftsman wield their snippers and heated tongs. As for the high kings Uber mullet, that completely de-immershed me, or whatever the opposite of immersion is.
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Stranger Wings wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:01 pm In the meantime, if you’d like to read my mid-stream thoughts, I chat about them in the spoiler section of the TORN Discord.
I looked but it really is not very easy to pull out your relevant comments from that ... venue.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Stranger Wings wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:01 pm In the meantime, if you’d like to read my mid-stream thoughts, I chat about them in the spoiler section of the TORN Discord.
I looked but it really is not very easy to pull out your relevant comments from that ... venue.
Oh it’s not worth looking for past comments. It’s only useful as a real-time chat.

Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

My favorite possibility re: the identity of Sauron is that none of the people fans are speculating about (Halbrand, the Stranger) are Sauron. The only person that is Sauron is the person who set the curious spring deadline for the construction of Celebrimbor’s forge.

Voronwë the Faithful

I have on the best of authority that
Hidden text.
Galadriel is Sauron.