Lord of the Rings series!?

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Stranger Wings

Re: Lord of the Rings series!?

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:30 am There are three different ways to interpret that suggestion.

1. Subscribe, watch the show for the full 5-10 years that it lasts, and then unsubscribe. I'm sure that I could do that, but I'm not sure I would want to.

2. Subscribe, watch the first season, then unsubscribe. Resubscribe for the second season, then unsubscribe. Rinse and repeat. I don't know whether I could -- or would want to -- do that.

3. Subscribe, watch the first episode(s). Unsubscribe. Resubscribe for the next episode, then unsubscribe. Repeat ad nauseum. I'm pretty sure that I either could not - or would not - do that.
I was mostly thinking option 2.
“He went alone to look in Mirrormere.” - The Book of Mazarbul
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Track titles for the official soundtrack...

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2022/0 ... oundtrack/
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Stranger Wings wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:27 pm
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:30 am There are three different ways to interpret that suggestion.

1. Subscribe, watch the show for the full 5-10 years that it lasts, and then unsubscribe. I'm sure that I could do that, but I'm not sure I would want to.

2. Subscribe, watch the first season, then unsubscribe. Resubscribe for the second season, then unsubscribe. Rinse and repeat. I don't know whether I could -- or would want to -- do that.

3. Subscribe, watch the first episode(s). Unsubscribe. Resubscribe for the next episode, then unsubscribe. Repeat ad nauseum. I'm pretty sure that I either could not - or would not - do that.
I was mostly thinking option 2.
Watching buddy??
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Or…if you’re not above it, borrowing someone’s Prime account once a week?
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Anyone else find it interesting that two new shows will include Númenor in them in September: Rings of Power and Star Wars’s “Andor”?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't know anything about this Star Wars show. Are you just referring to the coincidence of the name, or do they genuinely make a reference to The Land of Gift?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:22 pm I don't know anything about this Star Wars show. Are you just referring to the coincidence of the name, or do they genuinely make a reference to The Land of Gift?
Just the name (as an aside, it’s a precursor to Rogue One, and it looks phenomenal).

As for coincidences, I don’t think it is, as one of the chief creatives at Lucasfilm is a big Tolkien fan who’s quite well-versed in the Silmarillion.
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Beautiful.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Very Tolkienian!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
I have to admit, I really like what I’ve seen of the harfoot/ Stranger plotline, and thus far find them to feel more authentic than PJ’s largely cartoonish hobbits.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Voronwë the Faithful

They seem to be very popular with those who have seen the advanced showings.
Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

Holy cow does Khazad-dûm look incredible or what?

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:55 pm Saw this on Facebook. There was no link and no original French text, so I have no idea whether it is real, or accurate. Seems to be, though. ETA: Here's the original: https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/20 ... 061125.jpg
French interview with John Howe about his work on the series
Númenor?
I began by designing the map of Númenor, which is going to be of significant importance in the series: a vast island located off the coast of Middle-earth. Tolkien drew a lot of maps in his lifetime, but not this one. So we had to visualize what this world was like before the cataclysm that brought it down. We proceeded by doing a lot of research in the texts, grabbing a word here, an indication there... We had to locate it, check its size, set up the cities and different places. We spent a lot of time to know who could have built such road and when...

Confronting the fans?
And at some point, we put this map online. Twenty minutes later, a fan sent us a message to tell us that we had made two mistakes: a city and an estuary were wrong!
Didn't Tolkien draw a map of Númenor?
Voronwë the Faithful

Christopher says in the Introduction to Unfinished Tales, "I have redrawn the map from a little rapid sketch, the only one, as it appears, that my father ever made of Númenor. Only names or features found on the original have been entered on the redrawing." So, yes, but the map that we are all most familiar with was redrawn by Christopher.

ETA: In Wayne and Christina's paper "'I Wisely Started with a Map': J.R.R. Tolkien as Cartographer" in The Great Tales Never End they write: "When Tolkien came in the late 1930s and early 1940s to write about the star-shaped island Númenor, raised in the Great Sea between Valinor and Middle-earth, he seems again to have worked without a map to guide him. There are three renderings of Númenor among his papers, but they were made comparatively late, around 1960."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Holy cow does Khazâd-dûm look incredible or what?
I like this dwarf. He looks like a dwarf.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'd say that he looks like Reb Shlomo of Chelm, but you probably never heard of him.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

This is a long (4 minutes) spoilerly clip showing Elrond in Khazâd-dûm.