Lord of the Rings series!?

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Re: Lord of the Rings series!?

Post by Dave_LF »

Hidden text.
Just one of them. Basically any character you don’t see with the others is one of his many faces.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

The showrunners say that the 4th episode opens “with the destruction of an entire kingdom.” A flashback, perhaps? The sacking of Alqualondë, the fall of Nargothrond, Gondolin, Doriath? If we see any of those things I will die after episode 4, and that’ll be OK.

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.etonli ... 9895%3famp

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
“He went alone to look in Mirrormere.” - The Book of Mazarbul
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I think it's more likely to be something related to the Southlands (maybe Arondir's homeland), especially mentioned in the context of building up the orcs. I do not think we are very likely to get any substantial treatment of the First Age, but we'll see.

Lindsey Weber's description of the first two episodes comes across as rather self-flattering, but any producer interview is going to do that to some degree to I guess.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

I was encouraged by some of the statements made in pre-release interviews about Orcs, so I'm very much looking forward to the show "introducing the world of the orcs" in the next couple episodes—but not as much as I'm eager to see Númenor. :P
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

kzer_za wrote:I think it's more likely to be something related to the Southlands (maybe Arondir's homeland), especially mentioned in the context of building up the orcs. I do not think we are very likely to get any substantial treatment of the First Age, but we'll see.

Lindsey Weber's description of the first two episodes comes across as rather self-flattering, but any producer interview is going to do that to some degree to I guess.
Well, she’s right, as the first two episodes are great. And I’d rather they be confident in their product than the opposite. Makes me hopeful that they will also resist outside pressure to change their approach, and simply trust the instincts of JD and Patrick.

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I'm still undecided on watching this to be honest. Some of the things I've seen in reviews have piqued my interest, but there's been plenty to dampen it too.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, I'd suggest at least starting it to make up your own mind.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Stranger Wings wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:49 am
kzer_za wrote:I think it's more likely to be something related to the Southlands (maybe Arondir's homeland), especially mentioned in the context of building up the orcs. I do not think we are very likely to get any substantial treatment of the First Age, but we'll see.

Well, she’s right, as the first two episodes are great. And I’d rather they be confident in their product than the opposite. Makes me hopeful that they will also resist outside pressure to change their approach, and simply trust the instincts of JD and Patrick.
Some of the first two episodes are very good, I agree, but I was really surprised at just how bad I found some of it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

You found a way to watch it V?
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

I did. And to be clear, I think it is worth watching and I'm interested to see what they do, despite disliking some aspects quite intensely. I'm sure I'll write about some of them at some point.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Tolkien adjacent, I agree.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Eldy, I moved your Episode 3 post to the Episode 3 thread that I had already started.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Thanks, Voronwë! That thread must have been started while I was working on my post.
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm sure it was. It was a meaty post!
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

Does anyone else find the episodes too long? I haven't watched any of them in one sitting.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

I actually like the longer episode lengths. Given that this season is only eight episodes—shorter than most prestige "cable" dramas of the "peak TV" era—I'm pleased that the first three have all cleared the one hour mark, rather than hovering around 50 minutes. But for what it's worth, I'm used to watching TV/movies for many hours at a time, whether that's Sunday NFL broadcasts, bingeing anime, or the LOTR-EEs. :P So these don't really feel that long to me.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

After three episodes, I feel comfortable saying that this show is fantastic (literally and figuratively).

One of my favorite elements is the anthropological depth being given to the cultures. The harfoots, for example, have deep and complicated nomadic customs, that can be both beautiful and brutal. (And as an aside, they’ve managed to make a completely invented storyline one of the most Tolkienesque in the series!)

These showrunners understand Tolkien on a level that Peter Jackson didn’t, in my view. He made classic action adventure films beloved by many, I’ll give him that. But this has a bookish beauty to it that just resonates with me more.

Do I wish Bezosbub wasn’t at the top of the company making this? Yes, I do. But I can’t use that against these showrunners who clearly understand and love this material.

Finally, after twenty years of disappointment, I’ve found a cinematic adaptation of Tolkien that I really enjoy.

9/10. One point off for people from the show Lost finding their way onto the raft in episode 2.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizza

kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I see things very differently, mixed with good moments but definitely tending negative, as a Tolkien adaptation and on its own merits. As it stands right now it is unlikely I will watch beyond the first season barring a dramatic change. And while PJ had his faults, some major, to me he captured far more of Tolkien than the show has so far, even in the highly problematic Hobbit movies (But setting Tolkien aside I will say the show has a pretty good chance of being better as film than the Hobbit trilogy, depending how it develops).

Now we can chalk a lot of this up to PJ having certain advantages out of the gate: legal rights, actually having detailed source material, not chopping up the timeline. And to what degree Amazon forced a conventional chronology or whether more negotiation or money could have gotten more expansive rights, we'll probably never know. But still.

But it's ok for people to have different opinions on a message board obviously.
Last edited by kzer_za on Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

Stranger Wings wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:43 amThe harfoots, for example, have deep and complicated nomadic customs, that can be both beautiful and brutal. (And as an aside, they’ve managed to make a completely invented storyline one of the most Tolkienesque in the series!)
Assuming that your parenthetical sentence was referring to the sentence before, I could not disagree with this more. I find the Harfoots' unnecessarily cruel treatment of the weakest among them as un-Tolkienesque as I could imagine, while at the same time finding the similarity between Sadoc Burrow's speech and Bilbo's farewell speech to be fairly ridiculous.

Overall I am liking the show pretty well, but no where's near as much as you. There is a lot that a find to be flat out absurd.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

To be fair to SW, I'm going to guess he's referring to the Meteor Man/Stranger with the second statement as he's written high praise for it elsewhere. Which, well, I put my thoughts in the corresponding topic (overworn "mystery box" with some creative visuals here and there) so I won't repeat them at length here.