Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by RoseMorninStar »

My objection is when people use that belief system, often in a 'holier than thou' way, to be little more than organized thugs (gangs) with an agenda of hate and persecution. An atheistic system is likely not better and perhaps just as zealous, but not, perhaps, as hypocritical based on a higher being that will judge for all eternity based on whatever said thugs agenda happens to be. OR.. alternatively, use said holier-than-thou-ness cynically to sway the masses and attain their agenda.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

In other news.

Kentucky Noah's Ark sues insurance company over damage caused by heavy rains

The Ark is supposed to be a recreation of the one Noah built in the Bible to escape the flood.

The tweet that linked to the article claimed that the insurance refused to pay calling the flood damage an act of God, but the article doesn't mention that.

And OK, the damage was actually to the access road, which makes it a little less amusing, but still.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:rofl:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The funniest thing I read today - an account live tweeting a party meeting in the UK (the context is lost on me) and faithfully reporting the rage that ensues in the meeting when they realize they are being live tweeted and can't find the leak.

Unrolled, because you can't see Twitter threads anymore unless you are logged in.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1752 ... 23646.html
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It's funny you mention that about Twitter links because I can never see them on here when I'm on my desktop but I can see them if I'm viewing this forum on my phone. I haven't figured out the difference (I use Firefox on both).
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Oh, good! You mean I won't see twitter excerpts anymore? I've never willingly looked at a twitter *anything* and have been actively avoiding threads where they pop up all the time.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I haven't been able to see them on here for quite some time. They show up like this
Screen Shot 2024-01-30 at 2.26.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-30 at 2.26.38 PM.png (8.96 KiB) Viewed 663 times
but they never actually load.

I don't usually click on them to go on Twitter/X because I never subscribed/am not on the platform so I don't know what would happen if I clicked on it.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:29 pm I haven't been able to see them on here for quite some time. They show up like this ... but they never actually load.

I don't usually click on them to go on Twitter/X because I never subscribed/am not on the platform so I don't know what would happen if I clicked on it.
I don't have a Twitter account either. I can see individual tweets if I have a direct link to it, but each Twitterer's timeline has been a jumbled mess for me since early last year, so that I can't actually see current content that way. Instead I have been reading tweets via a site called Nitter.net, which Wikipedia describes as a "free and open source alternative viewer for Twitter/X." But Nitter was no longer working as of this past weekend, and on Sunday its creator said that the viewer was "dead." However, this page lists other "instances" of Nitter, i.e., other Twitter viewers that use the same scraping tool. I click on whichever of those listed addresses is showing as "healthy" and not "outdated" and then type in the handle of the user whose tweets I wish to see. So for instance, one of them is nitter.freedit.eu. I click on that, and then to see, e.g., Marcy Wheeler's tweets, I add "/emptywheel" at the end of the url, and voila, I can scroll through her timeline.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm so over Elon Musk, the taint is hard for me to be OK with.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

"Son arrested after father found beheaded in Levittown home."

Levittown is a suburb of Philadelphia. Police apparently saw a "disturbing video" the son posted in which he said his dad "was a federal employee who was 'burning in hell' and called for 'revolution' against the 'Biden regime.'"

Edited to add: apparently the video featured the man's severed head (first in a plastic bag, later in a stove pot).

Also the alleged killer said that Joe Biden was supported by an "army of illegal immigrants." And he complained about Black Lives Matter, LGBTQ activists, and Antifa.

In other words, as one commentator says, it's "a MAGA snuff film."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

There apparently remain lots of unexplained details in the Sep. 11, 2011 triple murder in Waltham, Mass., which is officially unsolved but generally believed to have been committed by Tamerlan Tsarnaev and Ibragim Todashev.

Tamerlan and his younger brother Dzhokhar would go on to perpetrate the April 15, 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, following which Tamerlan was killed in a shootout with police. Bizarrely, Todashev was killed during an FBI interview in May 2013.

One of the three Waltham victims had a live-in girlfriend. That had a fight days earlier, and he told friends that she had left the state. But she returned the day after the murders to discover the bodies. Coincidentally, her ex-boyfriend was shot and killed in a separate incident ten days earlier. Coincidentally, she was actually married to another man at the time, and he killed himself five weeks later. She herself once served a thirty-day sentence on a misdemeanor battery conviction.

And the police, on top of never having interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev (had they done so, would the marathon have been bombed?) also seem to have done a lousy job of trying to close out this case. Officially they're still investigating the "potential involvement of additional undisclosed person or persons in connection with these homicides."